Banter The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 2 (WARNING NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Interestingly, while granting the NT and/or ACT statehood would require changes to the Australian Constitution, adding NZ to Australia would not.

The Libs would never agree to ACT statehood, for much the same reason that the Republicans will always oppose DC statehood. DC would inevitably elect 2x Democrat senators, while the ACT would elect 5x ALP members to the House of Reps, and progressive candidates (mostly ALP/Green) would fill 2/3 of the ACT's Senate seats.

Statehood would result in the creation of 2x very safe ALP seats, and change a 1-1 Senate split (from 2019, noting that the Libs lost their Senate seat in the recent election) to an 8-4 split in favour of the progressives.

I can't see the Libs ever agreeing to that...

So, with both countries having one intransigent party who would never agree - for reasons of naked political self interest - the hundreds of thousands of people in both DC and the ACT will remain disenfranchised.

Jun 6, 2010
Viana do Castelo (Portugal)
AFL Club
Adelaide
So by that example, it should be open season on every democrat supporting defunding the police, every democrat that disobeys federal immigration laws regarding illegals entering the country etc etc

Your statement in a civilized society is just so ridiculous because if you follow through on that line of thinking, both sides will devolve into threatening to kill when they don't get their way. I thought the left (and make no mistake, they are the ones out there protesting and threatening) were supposed to be tolerant or so we are told

Your argument is like painting apples orange and putting them in the orange basket and saying they are both the same lol. To your first point, it was such a stupid point I don't even know how you think they are identical.

As for your second statement, that is just as pathetic.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Electorally, it could prove to be a massive brain fart. Doesn't take Einstein to figure out that there are a high % of women and they vote. To operate at the height of arrogance all because you have the weight of numbers on a supreme court to run a republican agenda doesn't mean you should. There were no votes in this decision for the republicans, this decision was nothing more than the republican party sticking it to democratic voters, especially in states that were once red states. They figure the anger will die down by the next presidential election and they can distance themselves from the states. There is also a theory being floated that this decision was politically motivated to stop democratic voters moving into cheaper red states from california or new york etc because they will potentially grow to numbers that could turn those states blue. Arizona is one such state and so is New Mexico that have complained californians influenced the election result because they moved. It would not surprise me in the least if there were some strategies at play.
And that people are going to be far more worried about being able to afford to eat, put a roof over their head and be able to put gas in their car..oh and switch on the lights. These midterms despite the noise from some, is all about the economy first second and third and whilst abortion will have a small part to play, it won't be anything like what the state of the economy will be.

Interesting line of thought about trying to prevent the people in the blue states moving to red states - had not thought of that and with the mid terms looking like a red tsunami, a seat or 2 in congress will matter little - its 2024 that is still a long way away and for anger to die off

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Your argument is like painting apples orange and putting them in the orange basket and saying they are both the same lol. To your first point, it was such a stupid point I don't even know how you think they are identical.

no, its exactly the same - passing laws that could get people killed - your words.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
So believing that a woman should have the right to decide to have an abortion and that the decision of when that occurs is no elses business but that of the woman with the advice and support of their doctor.. and that everyone should just butt out of other peoples private lives is a hysterical position to take is it?.

Wow.. You really are a strange one..

Now if you think there are numerous women getting pregnant, going nearly full term and then out of the blue just deliberately deciding “meh, I couldnt be bothered with this pregnancy anymore” and aborting it.. then go ahead, provide us with the actual medical statistics to back this up.

But i think you will find that women that choose late term abortions are doing so due to circumstances (medical one’s) beyond their control and often a risk to their own lives. And the other thing you will very quickly find is that “late term abortion” isnt even a recognised medical terminology and that it is even precisely defined. So maybe you can start there.

So.. Until you can provide this.. this whole pathetic “late term” emotional bullshit argument is a load of horseshit that the anti brigade love to deceptively focus on and blatently lie about because their arguments are s**t to start with.

And expletive laden?.. i say the word fck every paragraph or so.. its a but over the top to be classing that as expletive-laden dont you think.

Most women seeking later abortion fit at least one of five profiles: They were raising children alone, were depressed or using illicit substances, were in conflict with a male partner or experiencing domestic violence, had trouble deciding and then had access problems, or were young and nulliparous.

Had trouble deciding?
We’re young and nulliparous?

There’s your discretionary late term abortions. Next?

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
I can't help but notice that our friends of the redneck variety demand answers as to whether you support end of term abortion but refuse to acknowledge actual well written points that you have made like in the above post.

Supporters of the full anti abortion laws (not those that are wanting to end late term abortions) now coming into affect all appear to have something in common, they are religious, they know no one who has ever had an abortion let alone raped and fallen pregnant. What is amazing to me, these states are all pro life yet happily allow laws that provide people weapons to kill each other.

USA....what a basketcase.

Also, the judges in the case are now pushing to look at the gay marriage laws.
its not only that.. These arse backward conservative freaks that are now holding the majority on the US Supreme court including Clarence and Kavanagh have both since come out and said they want to “revisit“ other laws that cover gay marriage, same sex intimite relationships and even access to contraception!.. contraception ffs!.. just what *ing century do these nutters actually think this is?

this is just how twisted these dark ages freaks are that are now in the US supreme court.

its utterly astounding that there are people defending, and actually cheering on, these complete *ing lunatics.

but the ignorant redneck morons here honestly probably don’t even know just exactly what “horse” they are currently backing in here in defending this decision..

just like most deeply right, often religious, conservative types they will blindly follow, and argue for, any agenda the hard right/the republican party/their church and religion tells them to.. they are actually so *ing brainwashed they dont even realise it.

and dont get me wrong here.. its not all conservatives and its definitely not all religious people.. its mostly the hard right extreme ones.. I have plenty of religious and conservative friends, I went to a catholic college for my schooling.

I can tell you right now many of these religious and conservative friends of mine are completely mortified by what we are all witnessing in the US right now.

you are completely right.. the Republicans are turning the US into a complete and utter basket case at the moment..

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
And that people are going to be far more worried about being able to afford to eat, put a roof over their head and be able to put gas in their car..oh and switch on the lights. These midterms despite the noise from some, is all about the economy first second and third and whilst abortion will have a small part to play, it won't be anything like what the state of the economy will be.

Interesting line of thought about trying to prevent the people in the blue states moving to red states - had not thought of that and with the mid terms looking like a red tsunami, a seat or 2 in congress will matter little - its 2024 that is still a long way away and for anger to die off

Yeah its been a complaint for a couple of years that people moving from expensive blue states to red states are changing the voting landscape. But isn't that politics. It just means that agendas need to be fluid and change to suit the constituents who they serve. Serving to the traditional base will always have a lifespan. Regardless of what side of politics you are on.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

Most women seeking later abortion fit at least one of five profiles: They were raising children alone, were depressed or using illicit substances, were in conflict with a male partner or experiencing domestic violence, had trouble deciding and then had access problems, or were young and nulliparous.

Had trouble deciding?
We’re young and nulliparous?

There’s your discretionary late term abortions. Next?
you still havent defined ”late term abortion”.. all the results of this study say on or after 20 weeks.. do you think that is late term?..

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah its been a complaint for a couple of years that people moving from expensive blue states to red states are changing the voting landscape. But isn't that politics. It just means that agendas need to be fluid and change to suit the constituents who they serve. Serving to the traditional base will always have a lifespan. Regardless of what side of politics you are on.

The interesting thing is the more educated you the more likely you are to be progressive and vote Democrat. The South and Mid West is full of uneducated and backward individuals.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
The ACT is similar to the District of Columbia.
  • Both were carved out of existing states as a result of the country's founding fathers' decision to place the Capital somewhere neutral.
  • Both would require constitutional changes in order to become states.
  • Both have populations whose populations are massively under-represented in their respective Federal parliaments, as a result of their lack of statehood - something which the founding fathers failed to consider when writing the respective constitutions.
Both have a genuine case, now, for constitutional change - allowing them to become states in their own right, ending their disenfranchisement.

Agree totally. What applied in the late 18th Century/19th Century in the US and early 20th Century in Australia doesn’t necessarily apply today.

If the Constitution needs amending, get bipartisan support (good luck with that one tho) and away we go.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its ironic that the people who voted the democrats in decade after decade in these blue states now find things no longer nice and want to move to the red states. Its only fair if they do that (because they were the ones voting in people that made their own states worse) they drop their democrat thinking off at the door and don't try and make the red states economies spiral downwards with the same thinking that ruined the blue ones.

It was interesting that California Governor Gavin Newsom survived a recent recall vote. Now he has trashed California and the people had a chance to get rid of him and didn't. Lets hope the ones that voted to keep him don't decide to relocate to red states

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its ironic that the people who voted the democrats in decade after decade in these blue states now find things no longer nice and want to move to the red states. Its only fair if they do that (because they were the ones voting in people that made their own states worse) they drop their democrat thinking off at the door and don't try and make the red states economies spiral downwards with the same thinking that ruined the blue ones.

It was interesting that California Governor Gavin Newsom survived a recent recall vote. Now he has trashed California and the people had a chance to get rid of him and didn't. Lets hope the ones that voted to keep him don't decide to relocate to red states

What leave a blue state and find you end up with a lower income in a red state? The reason most would leave is that it costs more (housing prices etc) in blue state and income potential is higher in blue states but you would already know that.

There was a reason the North won the civil war? It starved the South and the South didn’t have financial resources or human resources to ever win the war. It was always going to be and it still continues 150 years later.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Electorally, it could prove to be a massive brain fart. Doesn't take Einstein to figure out that there are a high % of women and they vote. To operate at the height of arrogance all because you have the weight of numbers on a supreme court to run a republican agenda doesn't mean you should. There were no votes in this decision for the republicans, this decision was nothing more than the republican party sticking it to democratic voters, especially in states that were once red states. They figure the anger will die down by the next presidential election and they can distance themselves from the states. There is also a theory being floated that this decision was politically motivated to stop democratic voters moving into cheaper red states from california or new york etc because they will potentially grow to numbers that could turn those states blue. Arizona is one such state and so is New Mexico that have complained californians influenced the election result because they moved. It would not surprise me in the least if there were some strategies at play.
it all depends..

traditionally Democrat voters don't bother to turn out to vote in Mid term elections. the Republican’s normally always do very well..

not even half the country, that actually can vote, bothers to vote at all even in midterms and the presidential/main election.. they literally just couldnt be bothered.

but does something like this decision finally wake them from their slumber?..

does this not only mobilise the tradition democrat voters that dont bother to vote in the midterms.. and get them out for the upcoming midterm vote.. but also mobilise a large chunk of the voters that never bother to vote at all?..

if it does mobilise just the democrats, the one’s that normally don't bother to vote in the midterms, then the Republicans will be screwed..

but if this decision has pissed of Americans to the point where it mobilises the massive portion of the population that never bothers to vote at all and makes them get off their lazy arses and vote against all things Republican.. it will be a complete and utter bloodbath that will wipe the Republicans out.

time will tell i guess..

I wouldnt bet on any of it.. Americans are literally some of the dumbest morons on earth who generally dont care what party is in power.. mostly because the two main political party’s, the dems and repubs, have stayed out of their personal lives.

this blatant intrusion into peoples personal lives by the republicans through their conservative backed supreme court judges might just be the thing that awakens the sleeping giant.

Last edited:

fortunatecrow

Premiership Player
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remember those denying the mental health impacts of our lockdowns? The Age reports:

‘Shocking and perplexing’: Census reveals COVID toll on mental health

By Melissa Cunningham and Meghan Dansie​

June 28, 2022 — 7.51pm
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...id-toll-on-mental-health-20220628-p5ax4u.html

KEY POINTS

• Young Australians have reported far higher levels of psychological distress than any other age group with the census capturing the upheaval and mental toll of living through a pandemic.
  • One in five Australians aged 16 to 34 years reported “high or very high levels of psychological distress” more than twice the rate of those aged 65 to 85 years.
  • Experts warn the true extent of chronic disease was far higher in Australia than reflected in the census, which only collected self reported and diagnosed conditions.
Young Australians have reported far higher levels of psychological distress than any other age group, with the census capturing the upheaval and mental toll of living through a pandemic. The first tranche of census data released on Tuesday provides a snapshot of the state of health in Australia, revealing that one in five Australians aged 16 to 34 years reported “high or very high levels of psychological distress”. That’s more than twice the rate of those aged 65 to 85 at 9 per cent.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

he is so brainwashed by US hard right wing conspiracy bullshit that he barely even knows up from down these days..

pretty sure he fully believes Q as well…

I often very much agree with him when it comes to footy/crows but on this thread he’s unfortunately a total and utter lost cause the poor lad..

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
he is so brainwashed by US hard right wing conspiracy bullshit that he barely even knows up from down these days..

pretty sure he fully believes Q as well…

I often very much agree with him when it comes to footy/crows but on this thread he’s unfortunately a total and utter lost cause the poor lad..
i have had a great laugh reading your posts over the last few pages. I am truly amazed that you seem to have amnesia having not once decried even a tiny bit of the total Biden horror show - and I mean total horror show going on over there right now. The red tsunami is coming these mid terms and then when sanity takes back the house and senate, then this rogue administration can start to be properly held to account.

If abortion energizes people to forget that they can't afford to eat and keep a roof over their heads let alone pay for gas and turn on their lights, all the very best to them. But I think reality will bite the Dems hard this November

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Remember those denying the mental health impacts of our lockdowns? The Age reports:

By Melissa Cunningham and Meghan Dansie​

June 28, 2022 — 7.51pm

KEY POINTS

• Young Australians have reported far higher levels of psychological distress than any other age group with the census capturing the upheaval and mental toll of living through a pandemic.
  • One in five Australians aged 16 to 34 years reported “high or very high levels of psychological distress” more than twice the rate of those aged 65 to 85 years.
  • Experts warn the true extent of chronic disease was far higher in Australia than reflected in the census, which only collected self reported and diagnosed conditions.
Young Australians have reported far higher levels of psychological distress than any other age group, with the census capturing the upheaval and mental toll of living through a pandemic. The first tranche of census data released on Tuesday provides a snapshot of the state of health in Australia, revealing that one in five Australians aged 16 to 34 years reported “high or very high levels of psychological distress”. That’s more than twice the rate of those aged 65 to 85 at 9 per cent.

Unfortunately there are not enough votes in mental health to take it serious enough. The unfortunate reality is the states took a hard border stance to protect themselves from the negative stain of covid deaths at election time. I always knew mental health will suffer. Plenty of traumatised families will never get over the hardship of missing out on seeing loved ones die. it really was a pathetic response by all state governments.

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
i have had a great laugh reading your posts over the last few pages. I am truly amazed that you seem to have amnesia having not once decried even a tiny bit of the total Biden horror show - and I mean total horror show going on over there right now. The red tsunami is coming these mid terms and then when sanity takes back the house and senate, then this rogue administration can start to be properly held to account.

If abortion energizes people to forget that they can't afford to eat and keep a roof over their heads let alone pay for gas and turn on their lights, all the very best to them. But I think reality will bite the Dems hard this November

Bidens horror show is twice as good as Trumps term. Trump was a walking disaster.

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Don’t deflect.
you can’t can you.. you looked it up didn't you and you’ve realised it isn't even a recognised term.. basically because its a political term.

I asked you to back up the claims that there are all these women who are getting to the very final stage of their pregnancies and just going “meh, i dont want to be pregnant any longer“ and are aborting their pregnancies (or as one of your mates puts it “hammering a nail into the skull of a crowning feotus”)..

not back up the claims we already know happen where women choose, for whatever reason, to have an abortion around the 20 week point (so the half way mark).

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Bidens horror show is twice as good as Trumps term. Trump was a walking disaster.
nothing will ever top ol’ lets maybe try injecting bleach!…

FAFB34FB-D570-4BB6-BE77-FAE8DBFC0437.jpeg

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh yes.. lets recap on Biden so far. Gas 2-3 time more expensive than when he took over, inflation sky high - BEFORE THE UKRAINE INVASION STARTED, crime through the roof, an obliterated southern border shipping millions of illegals and unknown quantities of hard drugs and crime figures / gang members. Then energy - decrying Saudi Arabia as a pariah state and the next week going cap in hand to plead with them to provide more oil. How about the Afghanistan debacle he presided over. Then you have the administration actively calling for civil unrest towards the supreme court, pushing transgenderism on preschool kids......... and all in a little less than 18 months. Thats some record
1656414842483.png

The term buyers remorse has never EVER been more apt and its telling that virtually all polls for a long time now have shown republicans ahead in all key swing states and even some hard blue states are now seen as vulnerable. But do carry on

Jun 6, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Oh yes.. lets recap on Biden so far. Gas 2-3 time more expensive than when he took over, inflation sky high - BEFORE THE UKRAINE INVASION STARTED, crime through the roof, an obliterated southern border shipping millions of illegals and unknown quantities of hard drugs and crime figures / gang members. Then energy - decrying Saudi Arabia as a pariah state and the next week going cap in hand to plead with them to provide more oil. How about the Afghanistan debacle he presided over. Then you have the administration actively calling for civil unrest towards the supreme court, pushing transgenderism on preschool kids......... and all in a little less than 18 months. Thats some record

The term buyers remorse has never EVER been more apt and its telling that virtually all polls for a long time now have shown republicans ahead in all key swing states and even some hard blue states are now seen as vulnerable. But do carry on

Question....do you live in the USA or know people in the USA

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
you can’t can you.. you looked it up didn't you and you’ve realised it isn't even a recognised term.. basically because its a political term.

I asked you to back up the claims that there are all these women who are getting to the very final stage of their pregnancies and just going “meh, i dont want to be pregnant any longer“ and are aborting their pregnancies (or as one of your mates puts it “hammering a nail into the skull of a crowning feotus”)..

not back up the claims we already know happen where women choose, for whatever reason, to have an abortion around the 20 week point (so the half way mark).
A full term pregnancy is 40 weeks. Over 20 weeks is past half way. Therefore late. Prior to 20 weeks is early. It’s the queens English. It doesn’t need to be medically defined for me. Now all other discussions talk about post viability which is on or around after 22 weeks. That’s the discussion. Getting into semantics around late term abortion or “late term abortion” just shows you are struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back