Opinion The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spend, spend, spend...

Yes it is Kane but how long will these things be there for? They will be there for decades and regard to the Airport link, one of its benefits it will remove cars off the road. Why don’t we build a light rail link or a spur from the Noarlunga/Belair lines around Mile End from the airport to our CBD? Be advantageous, be visionary.

We spent how much on a stadium and remember the whinging that went on but the stadium will be there for decades.

Everyone keeps saying spend it on health, well you could spend an extra $100b on health and yet it still wouldn’t fix it.

If every covid lockdown was going to be an election issues, it was Victoria with their world record lockdown with complete * ups in quarantine... yet Dan survives.

Confirms you are in the noisy minority with your let it rip but what about my freedoms covid policy & Victorians are very forgiving of a leader who has made countless *ups.

If Dan is corrupt and I’m not going to pass judgement on whether he is or not he will be bought to account.

But the one thing I do note of him is he leads. I remember watching press conference after press conference during the lockdowns, he would answer every question, he would do it for hours if need be. He isn’t afraid to face the media (and will take them on) and he isn’t afraid to face the public.

He is a leader which you might not like him personally but he won’t try and stage manage press conferences and reckon that Albo is very similar. It is what people want, someone who leads.

If the ALP gets a 2PP of 54%+ that is still a very strong result. Any government would accept a result like that.

I’ll say it again - for all of Dan’s faults, and he has a few, he has been building things. Voters like to see government do things.

The other issue is are the Liberals going to actually realise that you need to accept realities of things like climate change etc?
Dan and labor are building infrastructure.. hospitals, removing level crossings and creating open space, improvements to the electricity network.. the list goes on..

What are the victorian libs doing?… what liberal party’s around Oz are all seemingly doing at the moment… fighting culture wars, allowing religious fruitcakes to infest their party, squabbling amongst themselves, denying science, courting the batshit crazy cookers, promoting ignorance, intolerance and division and worrying (basically hating on) about gay people and getting all hysterical about childrens genitals..

This might help prick the ears up on the cookers and fundamental religious nationalist types but it turns mainstream Australian’s off..

No wonder they are unelectable and their primary vote number has a 2 infront of it. The vic lib party has gone even further backward.

Labor had a swing of 7 to 8% against it which (and given how big a win they had last time round was to be expected) didnt go back to the libs.. it went to the greens and party’s of the left.

In the upper house it looks like labor, greens and progressive party’s are gonna hold the balance of power.

This was a massive slap down to the Victorian liberals. Its hard to see them ever returning to power in Victoria ever again.

They need to change and move back to the centre from the hard right they have drifted to but the problem is that they actually think its because they havent gone far enough to the right!..

they, like many of the Liberal supporters in here, are so far out of touch with mainstream modern Australia and they dont even realise it.. its an unbelievable lack of self awareness.

Yes it is Kane but how long will these things be there for? They will be there for decades and regard to the Airport link, one of its benefits it will remove cars off the road. Why don’t we build a light rail link or a spur from the Noarlunga/Belair lines around Mile End from the airport to our CBD? Be advantageous, be visionary.

We spent how much on a stadium and remember the whinging that went on but the stadium will be there for decades.

Everyone keeps saying spend it on health, well you could spend an extra $100b on health and yet it still wouldn’t fix it.
Big spending should have a proper business case with a real not doctored cost benefit analysis.

The new Adelaide Oval was a no brainer... as the alternative was 2 sub-standard stadiums or an even bigger spend.

I have no issue spending on infrastructure, but I would argue some of the proposed Victorian capital spends don't stack up with proper business cases.

When you are running up public debt, which will have interest payments attached, there should be proper scrutiny that they stack up economically.

If Dan is corrupt and I’m not going to pass judgement on whether he is or not he will be bought to account.

But the one thing I do note of him is he leads. I remember watching press conference after press conference during the lockdowns, he would answer every question, he would do it for hours if need be. He isn’t afraid to face the media (and will take them on) and he isn’t afraid to face the public.

He is a leader which you might not like him personally but he won’t try and stage manage press conferences and reckon that Albo is very similar. It is what people want, someone who leads.
Sure i prefer leaders who actually lead... but I also want competent leaders.

Unbelievable that the Andrews' government have made so many major *ups & have been involved in/covered up corrupt practices, yet get voted back in comfortably.

Says lots about the pathetic opposition & also the voting public.

I haven't seen the same dodginess in Albo yet.

No, not necessarily.

My theory is that it’s a problem of political strategy, not of political alignment.

You have your Mutineers who always vote one way, and your OneGreatCommies who always vote another. Then you have a whole swathe of voters (probably includes you) who vote according to the hot issues of each election. The Liberal party for a period had captured a lot of these voters, especially at the Federal level.

But the current incarnation of the Liberal party is completely, entirely, unequivocally hopeless at taking those hot issues and turning them into campaign strategies and ultimately election victories.

Ask yourself why the only two incumbents to be turfed out of office during Covid were Marshall and Morrison? How does Marshall lose post-Covid and Dan Andrews wins? Is that an accurate representation of their respective performances?

Of course not. What it is, is a representation of their political prowess. Marshall is an idiot. Andrews is an evil genius.

Almost every poster in here to a man (even the hardcore commies!) admit that Dan f*cked Victoria hard for three years straight.

Yet, Guy couldn’t lay a glove on him. I don’t care where you sit on the political spectrum, not being able to lay a glove on Dan Andrews for the last three years is a monumental feat of political incompetence.

A cardboard cutout should’ve been able to beat Dan Andrews if you’re basing it just on his performance.

But it is not just about that, elections never are. Andrews knows how to play the game of politics. I hate the c*nt, but I have no problem admitting he’s one of the most effective politicians I’ve ever seen.

That’s why he wins.

And the other party continue to sit around dumbfounded, like a bunch of losers, as if this is all some big surprise. “Oh, we better introduce gender quotas! That will fix it!”
LOL

Kirky's an ALP man through and through Pete

One of the things that isn’t mentioned a lot (except by me) is that the voters already rejected this clown in 2018. It wasn’t even close.

So what do the weak-as-s**t Liberal party do, after having four years to come up with an alternative?

That’s right, they go with him again.

That isn’t the only reason they lost, but it’s just another indicator of how stupid they are.

I know the movers and shakers of the NT liberal party personally. It's just a bunch of dumbfarq boomer political believers with zero clue. There's no reason any other version wouldn't be the same.

Dan and labor are building infrastructure.. hospitals, removing level crossings and creating open space, improvements to the electricity network.. the list goes on..

What are the victorian libs doing?… what liberal party’s around Oz are all seemingly doing at the moment… fighting culture wars, allowing religious fruitcakes to infest their party, squabbling amongst themselves, denying science, courting the batshit crazy cookers, promoting ignorance, intolerance and division and worrying (basically hating on) about gay people and getting all hysterical about childrens genitals..

This might help prick the ears up on the cookers and fundamental religious nationalist types but it turns mainstream Australian’s off..

No wonder they are unelectable and their primary vote number has a 2 infront of it. The vic lib party has gone even further backward.

Labor had a swing of 7 to 8% against it which (and given how big a win they had last time round was to be expected) didnt go back to the libs.. it went to the greens and party’s of the left.

In the upper house it looks like labor, greens and progressive party’s are gonna hold the balance of power.

This was a massive slap down to the Victorian liberals. Its hard to see them ever returning to power in Victoria ever again.

They need to change and move back to the centre from the hard right they have drifted to but the problem is that they actually think its because they havent gone far enough to the right!..

they, like many of the Liberal supporters in here, are so far out of touch with mainstream modern Australia and they dont even realise it.. its an unbelievable lack of self awareness.

The rise of nutters like Alex Antic here in SA proves they’re not learning either. Endless culture-war prattle about drag queens & vaccinations when it’s not even a blip on most people’s radar.

Big spending should have a proper business case with a real not doctored cost benefit analysis.

The new Adelaide Oval was a no brainer... as the alternative was 2 sub-standard stadiums or an even bigger spend.

I have no issue spending on infrastructure, but I would argue some of the proposed Victorian capital spends don't stack up with proper business cases.

When you are running up public debt, which will have interest payments attached, there should be proper scrutiny that they stack up economically.

The only project which I doubt is the SRL.

The other two stack up (Airport link and Metrol tunnel) and are needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone that lives in Victoria I think the supposed hatred of Dan Andrews is overstated. Sure there are lots of people that don't like him, but the way the media speaks about it makes you think that's nearly everyone, which really isn't the case

As much as people like me think it is obvious that that he is a dreadful Premier stealing our children's financial future; a majority of Victorians either don't agree, or don't care.

(Like me btw) they assumed that the problem was obvious, and that so was the solution; and they have just failed to make the case for change. Clearly a lot of Melbournians don't even see a problem. To me that failure to communicate is the No.1 problem for the LNP, not where they sit on the political spectrum.

As much as people like me think it is obvious that that he is a dreadful Premier stealing our children's financial future; a majority of Victorians either don't agree, or don't care.

(Like me btw) they assumed that the problem was obvious, and that so was the solution; and they have just failed to make the case for change. Clearly a lot of Melbournians don't even see a problem. To me that failure to communicate is the No.1 problem for the LNP, not where they sit on the political spectrum.

I think they misread how many Dan Andrews haters voted for Labor, and it was that hate which formed the basis of basically their entire strategy. Those who didn't agree, or didn't agree to the same extent as their messaging, weren't left with much other substance.

The only project which I doubt is the SRL.

The other two stack up (Airport link and Metrol tunnel) and are needed.
Didn't they doctor the internal interest rates on most business cases.... which makes a significant difference to the outcome.

How does Treasury even allow this to happen for billions of proposed spending... unless you are trying to make a project sounds better than otherwise?

Liberals should have been able to come up with a simple clear messaging.

Highlight the Andrew's government major *ups & attempted cover-ups.

Articulate key policy differences, including being transparent unlike the Andrew's government.

Now he is back will Dan try to get his Fed mates to reinstate Victoria’s Belt and Road Initiative deal with China?
Would have thought would be difficult in the current environment.

And if you can’t see the problem then you will be stuck in Opposition. Failure to communicate is not the problem - you have got most of the media in your camp. FFS!

The problem is the Coailtion keep fighting culture wars that don’t exist and then minor issues that don’t impact people on a day to day (ala sexual reassignment etc).

The voters want governments to do things, build things, make their day to day living easily. Not the adversarial contest which is driven by the out of touch media.

You do understand that young professionals (both sexes) and younger women are more likely to vote ALP/Greens/Teals than the Coalition? What does that tell you?

You can’t sit back and do nothing. Remember during the Fed election I asked for a list of achievements the Morrison government done over the 4 years he was in charge. Not one of the cheerleaders on here could come up with a list of 5. That says all you need to know.

Liberals should have been able to come up with a simple clear messaging.

Highlight the Andrew's government major *ups & attempted cover-ups.

Articulate key policy differences, including being transparent unlike the Andrew's government.

They tried Kane but the problem is the media actually thought for example the lockdowns were a negative, there weren’t.

Dan Andrews is a strong leader, much the same as my political hero, Paul Keating. You don’t have to like them but by god you respect them.

Didn't they doctor the internal interest rates on most business cases.... which makes a significant difference to the outcome.

How does Treasury even allow this to happen for billions of proposed spending... unless you are trying to make a project sounds better than otherwise?
Apparently the standard Victorian IRR rate is 7%. The auditor-general used that to calculate the project generates 77c of benefits for each $ invested.

The Victorian Government's business case used 4%, to calculate benefits of $1.10 to $1.70. Treasury may not have been consulted, but in any case the public service ethos is: do as you are told.

Last edited:
I think they misread how many Dan Andrews haters voted for Labor, and it was that hate which formed the basis of basically their entire strategy. Those who didn't agree, or didn't agree to the same extent as their messaging, weren't left with much other substance.

My view is that Labor is a movement whereas the liberal side is a collective of similarly idealed individuals. It's much easier to desert the collective. Labor has to do a lot wrong to alienate their believers.

From the ABC, no surprise. Pesuto ahead in Kew so one of the likely candidates you would think.

Matthew Guy to resign as Liberal leader after second Victorian election defeat

Opposition Leader Matthew Guy has announced he will resign as leader of the Victorian Liberals after a second bruising election defeat.

Labor has won a third consecutive term and is on track to retain a comfortable majority in the lower house. Mr Guy released a statement saying once the results of the election were firmed up, a new Liberal leader would be chosen. "As soon as it is clearer which Liberal Party candidates will form the next parliamentary party room, I will call them together to elect their new leadership team," he said.

"I will not be a candidate for the position of leader."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back