Opinion The Adelaide Board Politics/COVID Thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla has disappeared and not been seen for weeks. I can't think why he would just vanish.

I'd have the biggest change as being in the area of apostrophe conservation: dozens of apostrophes will now have the opportunity to live a long and fulfilling life. As far as I saw, OGC never harmed as much as a single hair on an apostrophe's head.
Voltaire Quotes Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. Our lefty mates thiink there is only 1 opinion.

"Regular speech" is code for "suppression of an uncomfortable truth that doesn't fit a particular narrative". Social networks can try and stop the truth all they like but the truth won't be suppressed.
No, it means not to abuse and bully each other.

It's not that complicated.

Apparently Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla has disappeared and not been seen for weeks. I can't think why he would just vanish.

Sure Jan GIF

I just did a search and he Tweeted about 12 hours ago

Last edited:
She does pop her head in now and then.
Full disclosure as I had my phone on a strange angle when I first read this post so until I re-read it, I thought it said ''She does poop her head in''. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Is relapse telling us to follow Elon Musk’s words of wisdom???

I actually don't have any issues with Elon Musk.

Making himself the public face of Twitter is most probably not the greatest thing business wise, but other than that I've never really had an issue with him.

I find the Neuralink project very interesting especially if it's a success.

Making himself the public face of Twitter is most probably not the greatest thing business wise, but other than that I've never really had an issue with him.
Musk is keeping people engaged with Twitter .....we're all voyeurs

His engagement, planned & staged release of documents, is helping advertisers ....who are returning to the platform

He's a smart man ...surrounded by smart people

I’m still not sure why you righties continue to push this point…

No ones saying nuclear cant be a safe option.. current technologies make it very safe.

Most are saying its just a bloody expensive option and thus becomes a very risky investment so no energy company wants to go near it..

The NIMBY’s will still carry on about it though and this makes it electorial poison for politicians who want to promote it.. but the same NIMBYs carry on about perfectly safe solar and wind farms being built next door to them.. the same NIMBY’s would carry on about a Gas plant being built in their electorate even though they are safe.

I’d almost bet that you Mutineer would also be asking a shitload of questions of your local member if your neigbour sold up to an energy company who then submitted a proposal to develop a nuclear power plant right next door to your farm..

So do keep up Mutineer.. its not that nuclear is not safe.. its just that its a poor investment, only a fool would invest their money in it in the current market.

No ones saying nuclear cant be a safe option.. current technologies make it very safe.

Most are saying its just a bloody expensive option and thus becomes a very risky investment so no energy company wants to go near it..

The NIMBY’s will still carry on about it though and this makes it electorial poison for politicians who want to promote it.. but the same NIMBYs carry on about perfectly safe solar and wind farms being built next door to them.. the same NIMBY’s would carry on about a Gas plant being built in their electorate even though they are safe.

I’d almost bet that you Mutineer would also be asking a shitload of questions of your local member if your neigbour sold up to an energy company who then submitted a proposal to develop a nuclear power plant right next door to your farm..

So do keep up Mutineer.. its not that nuclear is not safe.. its just that its a poor investment, only a fool would invest their money in it in the current market.
You may be totally correct, and I respect that but why not go through with a cost study. Mali is not a fool imho. I still believe it is ideology by Albo and some of his mates that is stopping it. I don't believe it is a Lib/Labor issue totally. I meet every Monday with mates. All voted Labor but we all agree on looking at the nuclear option.
Using your analogy of the Neighbour selling next to a nuclear plant, would you be happy your Neighbour putting dozens of windmills next to your property. There are issues with them and there is a place for them.

I've been pro nuclear for ages.

The issue is definitely cost, I've read somehwere that it costs around 25 billion Pounds to build a new nuclear power plant in the UK. If you factor that it will most probably cost significantly more in Australia to build, it could end up being somewhere in the vicinity of 60-70 billion Australian Dollars.

I would also argue that it would have to be government funded and not private. If it was private we'd only just be once again creating another headache down the track with private ownership and private companies massively overcharging.

Hopefully we've learned from those lessons since they've now all come back to bite us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really a bombshell. We all knew that the democrats had infiltrated social media sites and were systematically silencing free speech. They are the party of fascist totalitarians that masquerade as the party that looks after every disenfrancised group under the sun. They use these woke causes which they couldn't care less about to use gullible people to get them into power to further take away people's rights and freedoms. You got to hand it to the commies, they are good at what they do. The Republicans could learn a thing or two from these frauds.

Last edited:
The issue is definitely cost, I've read somewhere that it costs around 25 billion Pounds to build a new nuclear power plant in the UK. If you factor that it will most probably cost significantly more in Australia to build, it could end up being somewhere in the vicinity of 60-70 billion Australian Dollars.
To me the single clearest mandate from the May election was the desire to reduce the use of cheap but dirty coal to generate power in favour of cleaner but more expensive renewables.

I don't understand how the people who argued then that cost was not important, now argue that cost is important.

There are arguments against nuclear but surely expense is the weakest.

To me the single clearest mandate from the May election was the desire to reduce the use of cheap but dirty coal to generate power in favour of cleaner but more expensive renewables.

I don't understand how the people who argued then that cost was not important, now argue that cost is important.

There are arguments against nuclear but surely expense is the weakest.
Renewables are not more expensive than coal. They are considerably cheaper, which is why many of Australia's coal power stations are being closed by their operators, years ahead of schedule, because they are just not economically viable any longer.

The issue with renewables is not cost - it's consistency, because the sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow.

You may be totally correct, and I respect that but why not go through with a cost study. Mali is not a fool imho. I still believe it is ideology by Albo and some of his mates that is stopping it. I don't believe it is a Lib/Labor issue totally. I meet every Monday with mates. All voted Labor but we all agree on looking at the nuclear option.
Using your analogy of the Neighbour selling next to a nuclear plant, would you be happy your Neighbour putting dozens of windmills next to your property. There are issues with them and there is a place for them.
Albo has said he’s quite willing to have the conversation.

Peter just has to name the time and place and he’ll be there with bells on.

But the LNP have provided absolutely nothing to discuss.. just endless brainfarts.

Ultimately it has to be driven by the free market.. if there are energy companies out there willing to invest money into nuclear then they should come forward and present their proposals to the government.

But not one has come forward with anything at this point.. and most of these energy companies are investing their money in renewables.

Renewable technology is progressing at such a rapid rate that by the time any energy company come up with a proposal for a nuclear plant, gets its required development approvals, licences and permits and then builds the plant it will be 10 years down the track and it will be competing with cheaper, more efficient and more socially acceptable renewable technology.. technology that, even today, is already cheaper than nuclear. Imagine how cheap it will be in 10 years from now.

You’ll effectively be building a white elephant.

You might as well burn hundred dollar notes to turn your turbines.

We need to stop burning coal for electricity… use gas instead as our baseload power generation whilst, over the next 3 to 4 decades, we continue to transition to renewables.

We have the some of the largest gas reserves on the planet..

Australians should be paying fxxk all for our gas generated electricity.

Renewables are not more expensive than coal. They are considerably cheaper, which is why many of Australia's coal power stations are being closed by their operators, years ahead of schedule, because they are just not economically viable any longer.

The issue with renewables is not cost - it's consistency, because the sun doesn't always shine and the wind doesn't always blow.
So please explain why the Chinese are buy coal and opening up coal fired stations at a record pace. Then they a selling solar panels and turbines all over the world. I am not necessarily doubting you, but it seems strange, and I don't have an answer. One would think they would be massively populating the country with renewables and getting rid of coal.

Albo has said he’s quite willing to have the conversation.

Peter just has to name the time and place and he’ll be there with bells on. We will see

But the LNP have provided absolutely nothing to discuss.. just endless brainfarts.

Ultimately it has to be driven by the free market.. if there are energy companies out there willing to invest money into nuclear then they should come forward and present their proposals to the government.

But not one has come forward with anything at this point.. and most of these energy companies are investing their money in renewables.

Renewable technology is progressing at such a rapid rate that by the time any energy company come up with a proposal for a nuclear plant, gets its required development approvals, licences and permits and then builds the plant it will be 10 years down the track and it will be competing with cheaper, more efficient and more socially acceptable renewable technology.. technology that, even today, is already cheaper than nuclear. Imagine how cheap it will be in 10 years from now.

You’ll effectively be building a white elephant.

You might as well burn hundred dollar notes to turn your turbines.

We need to stop burning coal for electricity… use gas instead as our baseload power generation whilst, over the next 3 to 4 decades, we continue to transition to renewables.

We have the some of the largest gas reserves on the planet..

Australians should be paying fxxk all for our gas generated electricity.
agree with almost all you say here.

So please explain why the Chinese are buy coal and opening up coal fired stations at a record pace. Then they a selling solar panels and turbines all over the world. I am not necessarily doubting you, but it seems strange, and I don't have an answer. One would think they would be massively populating the country with renewables and getting rid of coal.
You'd have to ask the Chinese why they're doing it. Australia is uniquely blessed when it comes to wind & sunshine - it's entirely possible that the economics of wind & solar power in Australia's environment are very different to the Chinese environment.

In Australia, solar & wind farms are cheaper & faster to build, cheaper to maintain, and the energy source itself is completely free.

We live on one of the most sun drenched and windblow country’s on earth mind you..

We should be exploring all renewable energy generation avenues.. wind, wave, solar etc etc.

And combining them with battery storage.

Back it up with gas.

As the technology continues to improve so will the efficiency in renewable generation and battery storage.

When the wind is blowing/sun is shining the cost per KWH of generated power is clearly cheaper than coal.

But we need to build and maintain a transmission system (AEMO says a $12b cost) for that generated power, and we need storage, and we will need to replace a vast number of wind turbine blades and solar panels when they reach end of life. That is one of the reasons why the government is forecasting that power bills will be rising significantly – 50ish% across two years?

I see graphs like this but I haven't seen power prices drop.

A bit dated

When the wind is blowing/sun is shining the cost per KWH of generated power is clearly cheaper than coal.

But we need to build and maintain a transmission system (AEMO says a $12b cost) for that generated power, and we need storage, and we will need to replace a vast number of wind turbine blades and solar panels when they reach end of life. That is one of the reasons why the government is forecasting that power bills will be rising significantly – 50ish% across two years?
The main reason why the Govt is forecasting prices to rise is that most of our energy still comes from coal & gas, the prices of which have skyrocketed since Putin ordered his troops into Ukraine.

Yes, turbine blades & solar panels will need replacing - but there are also costs associated with dismantling coal & gas power stations.

The reason for the transmission system costs is because generation from renewable sources are far more distributed, and in different locations from, the legacy coal/gas power stations. The old transmission system was focused on a small number of power stations, in a few relatively small geographic areas (e.g. the Hunter Valley). Now there are solar & wind farms popping up everywhere, and the transmission system needs to be updated to transfer power from these diverse locations to the population centres. It's a generational change - and that's not a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back