SA The Adelaide Thread

Maybe Santa shouldn't of stopped of in SA.

FB_IMG_1545526721579.jpg

Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Landed in Adelaide yesterday on a work trip. So far I've been asked for money by eight different people. This morning, I was having breakfast and near my table (I was seated outside on the footpath) was a rubbish bin. Someone walked up to it and started pulling everything out of the bin trying to find food.

I get this stuff happens everywhere, and being from Melbourne you'd think I'd be used to it, but I honestly haven't seen it as bad anywhere else but in Adelaide.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Landed in Adelaide yesterday on a work trip. So far I've been asked for money by eight different people. This morning, I was having breakfast and near my table (I was seated outside on the footpath) was a rubbish bin. Someone walked up to it and started pulling everything out of the bin trying to find food.

I get this stuff happens everywhere, and being from Melbourne you'd think I'd be used to it, but I honestly haven't seen it as bad anywhere else but in Adelaide.

Are you sure he was looking for food? Chances are he was pulling out the 10cent recyclable cans. Yes people stoop that low.

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals

That would be the 10 cent cans they're hunting for. Back in the day they used to make a killing at SANFL grounds until most clubs forbid the removal of empties from the ground (clubs usually play the 'fundraising for junior development' card as the reason for banning the bin scabs).

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Its gotten worse the last few years.

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They used to make a killing in the early 80s when 5 cents, comparatively was worth a lot more. It stayed at that level for the next 30 years, which meant each year it got less and less lucrative. Reckon it only changed to 10 cents about 5 years ago. Inflation has risen by 321% since 1980 meaning a can these day should be around 16 cents to make it as worthwhile as it was back then.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
They used to make a killing in the early 80s when 5 cents, comparatively was worth a lot more. It stayed at that level for the next 30 years, which meant each year it got less and less lucrative. Reckon it only changed to 10 cents about 5 years ago. Inflation has risen by 321% since 1980 meaning a can these day should be around 16 cents to make it as worthwhile as it was back then.

Would be over 10 years now since it went up to 10 cents.

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I recently found out about the geographical concept of a 'primate city': a city which completely dominates a region, with none of the other settlements in the region being even remotely comparable in population or economic activity. Primate cities dominate politics, media and education and receive most intra-region migration.

Of course that immediately made me think of Adelaide. Personally, I think it's a shame that the SA population is so concentrated in the capital, putting all these eggs in the Adelaide basket. It would make for a more dynamic state if places like Mount Gambier had populations of (say) 100,000 instead of 27,000.

As it stands, over 80% of the South Australian population lives in Adelaide, with Adelaide being a whopping 51 times larger than the next largest city (Mount Gambier).

Back