The Advantage Rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Later in same game Bellchambers gets a ruck infringement free then colyer takes advantage kicking goal (last goal of game). I thought ruck frees could not have advantage?

Can someone clarify this?

I thought it was outrageous that one player could be allowed to go during a ruck infringement when all the other 35 stopped dead.

3 or 4 steps and when does the whistle go?

You cannot officiate the game in slow motion replay
Look at the replay and Margetts called advantage instantly the moment he took off and THEN he slowed down but advantage had already been called by then. Don't need slow motion to see the umpire reacted faster. Can understand your frustrations, but.. I've got to say this was actually bang on perfect Umpiring.

Look at the replay and Margetts called advantage instantly the moment he took off and THEN he slowed down but advantage had already been called by then. Don't need slow motion to see the umpire reacted faster. Can understand your frustrations, but.. I've got to say this was actually bang on perfect Umpiring.

Cool - I hope it costs Freo a final one day

I am not sure in which universe the team that wins the ball should be penalised but that is the AFL for you - gotta keep it interesting for the theatre goers :rolleyes:

The team that wins the ball has a choice - they can play on (with risk) or go back and take the kick.

You question why a team that wins the ball should be penalised? Does that mean if FF marks 20m and out and kicks a behind he should have another kick?

That vision shows the umpire responding to Worpel swooping on the ball and running by calling play on. As he does that, Worpel stops.

How different is that to a player having a set shot at goal and starting to chip to the side but then changing his mind after the umpire calls play on?

That vision shows the umpire responding to Worpel swooping on the ball and running by calling play on. As he does that, Worpel stops.

How different is that to a player having a set shot at goal and starting to chip to the side but then changing his mind after the umpire calls play on?

The vision shows the umpire was completely and totally wrong.

Defending this decision only serves to further the case that umpires are idiots.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we talking about the same incident?

Margetts called advantage after he slowed.

Just get rid of rule. If the umpire blows the whistle, and then team not at the advantage of the call, delays the ball going back to the other team, pay a 50m penalty like now

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

There is no rule saying that ruck infringements are excluded from advantage plays.
You are correct, just checked the 2017 version of rules and ruck infringement is eligible for advantage. I could have sworn at one point it was excluded.

Just get rid of rule. If the umpire blows the whistle, and then team not at the advantage of the call, delays the ball going back to the other team, pay a 50m penalty like now

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Precisely. If that was advantage, then an oposition player picking the ball up and taking three steps and stopping should be fifty. Can’t have it both ways

Jesus you're defending the indefensible here.

There is no rule saying that ruck infringements are excluded from advantage plays.

I reckon an umpire said on an umpire mic a few weeks ago that he couldn't pay an obvious advantage because the free kick was a ruck infringement, I could be wrong.

Eitherway that advantage call with Colyer was bogus, umpire never even signalled who the free was for, 35 players are stopped, one picks it up and he calls advantage from 20m away.

Or another one that has been over looked, Richmond vs Geelong - ball is punched before, before the ball even gets to the next player in a 1v1 situation the umpire called advanage? Whaaaaat, ball isnt even in anyones possession, how is it advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back