The AFL admits the umpires were wrong!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
This is such a rare occurrence that i figured it was worth shouting about

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-rule-will-kill-the-game-20180323-p4z5yz.html

The first of two mistakes identified was when Richmond's Shai Bolton was adjudged to have infringed about 60 metres from goal in the opening minutes of the match, gifting Zac Fisher a 50m penalty and the Blues' second goal. The AFL said there was "no evidence of protected area infringement".

The second mistake came in the dying minutes of the third term when Josh Caddy was ruled to have encroached into Charlie Curnow's territory about 55m from goal. The emerging young star capitalised on the call to cut the Tigers' lead to three points. The AFL said "Curnow comes back after taking mark and Caddy shows intent to clear protected area immediately once this occurs".

The marginal decision was deemed to have been in the third term when Carlton's Jacob Weitering had the ball on the wing and Kamdyn McIntosh was ruled to have slipped into the protected area. The AFL ruled that as Weitering had played on and cut the distance between the two players, it was debatable as to whether there should have been a free kick.

obviously it didnt change the outcome of the game but it was the most frustrating game ive ever been to and hopefully we dont see any more games ruined this year by this overzealous bullshit.

It's the usual round 1 over interpretation of a particular rule.

This one is especially frustrating as the players are hardly deliberately trying to slow the play or interfere. Amazed that the PLA, I mean AFL, admitted they got it wrong though.

They made way more mistakes then that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they admit they were wrong about the Daisy hand pass, the Daisy mark, the JSOS 'push in the back', the 500 Dustin Martin high fend offs?

Umpires make mistakes, they're human.. Deal with it

To be honest they had To address these 50 metres one because this will likely have the most effect and likely repccur for the rest pf the games of the round.

Afl realised they had to stop it now and not create a bigger issue

To be honest they had To address these 50 metres one because this will likely have the most effect and likely repccur for the rest pf the games of the round.

Afl realised they had to stop it now and not create a bigger issue

Fair enough.

i miss the days when fans just accepted that the odd howling decision would go against you and got on with it as opposed to whinging about it forever and blaming it for losses.
This game was a bit different though, as neither side is claiming the umpiring cost them the game. The umpiring was shocking all round pretty equally, bordering on being farcical in nature, and had a very noticeable effect on the entertainment of the game. For the afl to come out and admit the umpires screwed up basically half of the 50m penalties which resulted in shots on goal is pretty major.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...-rule-will-kill-the-game-20180323-p4z5yz.html

The first of two mistakes identified was when Richmond's Shai Bolton was adjudged to have infringed about 60 metres from goal in the opening minutes of the match, gifting Zac Fisher a 50m penalty and the Blues' second goal. The AFL said there was "no evidence of protected area infringement".

The second mistake came in the dying minutes of the third term when Josh Caddy was ruled to have encroached into Charlie Curnow's territory about 55m from goal. The emerging young star capitalised on the call to cut the Tigers' lead to three points. The AFL said "Curnow comes back after taking mark and Caddy shows intent to clear protected area immediately once this occurs".

The marginal decision was deemed to have been in the third term when Carlton's Jacob Weitering had the ball on the wing and Kamdyn McIntosh was ruled to have slipped into the protected area. The AFL ruled that as Weitering had played on and cut the distance between the two players, it was debatable as to whether there should have been a free kick.

obviously it didnt change the outcome of the game but it was the most frustrating game ive ever been to and hopefully we dont see any more games ruined this year by this overzealous bullshit.
Didn’t they already admit that they robbed the swans on 2016 gf day?

This game was a bit different though, as neither side is claiming the umpiring cost them the game. The umpiring was shocking all round pretty equally, bordering on being farcical in nature, and had a very noticeable effect on the entertainment of the game. For the afl to come out and admit the umpires screwed up basically half of the 50m penalties which resulted in shots on goal is pretty major.

was it though?

the game has been over officiated to the point of unwatchable for nearly a decade... all part of the umpires’ speed the game up thing to make it more entertaining. they’ve also been unduly influencing results to keep games alive for as long as i can remember.

believe it or not there was nothing special about your game last night in this regard.

I don’t go with the “good on them for admitting it” thing.

It’s not that important - what’s important is WHY they got it wrong.

Three errors on the same rule? Does that just happen?

There’s obviously been some tool at the AFL or the umpires dept who’s decided to go with the whole “focus on this rule this week” or “go out of your way to control this” bullshit.

Stop with that *in crap, just let them umpire normally, and the game will be better for it.

Did they admit they were wrong about the Daisy hand pass, the Daisy mark, the JSOS 'push in the back', the 500 Dustin Martin high fend offs?

Umpires make mistakes, they're human.. Deal with it
7 of your 15 goals where directly from free kicks. 4 from 50m penalties. Think its fair to be annoyed by that.

The Reiwoldt free shouldnt have been there but the others wernt shocking.

Major comment everyone should think about, it is not the umpires who are to blame. Even though uits them seeing what they see and interpret it that way, that is fine, it is firmly in the court of the bureaucrats inside the walls of the commission , the pencil pushing ideas men and women who really don't know, even if they are old time players, the rules being messed with every year for 5 to 10 years has created a dilemma that is ruining peoples enjoyment of the games.
The AFL has to see this , if not its proof that have only a one way street and its their way or no way.
I've never been able to figure out why, the rules needed fudging with, I suspect its because of the dilution of player pool and because they wanted the television to show some super sonic fast game a bit like the Irish speedsters, BUT IT IS NOT AUSTRALIAN RULES.
CHANGE CAN'T HURT BUT IT HAS TO BE FOR THE BETTER. And nothing this administration has done has made the game better, if anything its more confusing.
All I can say is that, luckily we have had the greatest most enjoyable big ground hard game, humans have ever produced for way over a century don't want to lose it, and not have the kids see it at it's best! Cause they won't when we don't recognise it.
I include all of the international stuff and the American nonsense which is just marketing, nothing comes close to our Aussie game, at its best it has everything.
Power, speed, high flying, giant kicks, from those who can kick?? and super sharp passing of the ball, it has the lot.

It's why we still draw 90 thousand crowds it's because it still has the instinctive basis to it, but NOW it is SO FLOSSED UP with over adjudication and interfering administration THAT DOES NOT OWN THIS GAME. WE DO!!!!!!!!!!
If we keep flossing the game it will soon become the NON /AFL. Thats a tragedy.

I'D LIKE THE CLUBS TO COME BACK AND TAKE OVER THE COMPLETE ADMINISTRATION, OR LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, GET HOLD OF ANOTHER KERRY PACKER

Give us another Aussie Series Football.

Major comment everyone should think about, it is not the umpires who are to blame. Even though uits them seeing what they see and interpret it that way, that is fine, it is firmly in the court of the bureaucrats inside the walls of the commission , the pencil pushing ideas men and women who really don't know, even if they are old time players, the rules being messed with every year for 5 to 10 years has created a dilemma that is ruining peoples enjoyment of the games.
The AFL has to see this , if not its proof that have only a one way street and its their way or no way.
I've never been able to figure out why, the rules needed fudging with, I suspect its because of the dilution of player pool and because they wanted the television to show some super sonic fast game a bit like the Irish speedsters, BUT IT IS NOT AUSTRALIAN RULES.
CHANGE CAN'T HURT BUT IT HAS TO BE FOR THE BETTER. And nothing this administration has done has made the game better, if anything its more confusing.
All I can say is that, luckily we have had the greatest most enjoyable big ground hard game, humans have ever produced for way over a century don't want to lose it, and not have the kids see it at it's best! Cause they won't when we don't recognise it.
I include all of the international stuff and the American nonsense which is just marketing, nothing comes close to our Aussie game, at its best it has everything.
Power, speed, high flying, giant kicks, from those who can kick?? and super sharp passing of the ball, it has the lot.

It's why we still draw 90 thousand crowds it's because it still has the instinctive basis to it, but NOW it is SO FLOSSED UP with over adjudication and interfering administration THAT DOES NOT OWN THIS GAME. WE DO!!!!!!!!!!
If we keep flossing the game it will soon become the NON /AFL. Thats a tragedy.

I'D LIKE THE CLUBS TO COME BACK AND TAKE OVER THE COMPLETE ADMINISTRATION, OR LIKE I'VE SAID BEFORE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS, GET HOLD OF ANOTHER KERRY PACKER

Give us another Aussie Series Football.
Feel better now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back