The AFL and grass roots football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Towelboy

Debutant
Mar 31, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Open discussion here people.

What are peoples thoughts on the AFL and there involvement in grassroots football?

I personally believe they continually shaft community based volunteer run football clubs. Just recently the AFL have forced another name change to the League and there fore hundreds of junior football jumpers have to be thrown away and new sets purchased. This costs thousands of dollars to do all because a logo has changed at top level. This is the third jumper design change in the last ten years each time threats of fines for clubs who wear non compliant jumpers. The AFL offer no assistance in the change over just issue a email stating the change and the date of compliance. This on top AFL approved shorts which cost $35 and shorts that cost $15 they put parents and clubs under huge avoidable financial burden.

What are peoples thoughts on the AFL and there involvement in grassroots football?

I personally believe they continually shaft community based volunteer run football clubs. Just recently the AFL have forced another name change to the League and there fore hundreds of junior football jumpers have to be thrown away and new sets purchased. This costs thousands of dollars to do all because a logo has changed at top level. This is the third jumper design change in the last ten years each time threats of fines for clubs who wear non compliant jumpers. The AFL offer no assistance in the change over just issue a email stating the change and the date of compliance. This on top AFL approved shorts which cost $35 and shorts that cost $15 they put parents and clubs under huge avoidable financial burden.

Unless the AFL are funding the league why do you have to do what they say? How can they fine a league they don’t run?

Which league?

The new Outer East.

Fair enough. It does seem harsh to start fining kids in the first year of a change

Suburban / country League rationalisation seems a challenging task that needs AFL Vic to step in sometimes. Have a look at what is happening with the alberton league.

I think some country footy leagues, in rural areas with declining populations, should reduce teams to 16 (or even 15) and only 2 interchange, instead of trying to field a full 22 per game, when the population no longer produces such numbers available for playing.

I do worry that AFL bureaucrats may not have much of a clue of local conditions and challenges, and also that some may fall in love with their own powers (as many bureaucrats all to frequently do)

Under 19.5 grade is in trouble across most leagues. Only 7 teams will compete in the RDFNL this year. EDFL don't even have the draw up on their website, not to say the clubs don't have it already, but it is round 1 this weekend.

Just had a look at the the northern football league (randomly selected). 16 teams in 2017, 19 last year and 20 this year apparently

Any other leagues with evidence of decline?

Just had a look at the the northern football league (randomly selected). 16 teams in 2017, 19 last year and 20 this year apparently

Any other leagues with evidence of decline?

I note the WRFL have gone back to U18. 2018 Div 1 Premier had no side and only 7 teams in total which was down from 12 the year before. 13 this year (2 clubs with 2 teams) though which is good. 26 clubs make up the league, but less than half have teams in that age group.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back