The AFL, Clubs and Pokies thread

Remove this Banner Ad

On reducing the pokies, I'm interested to see what happens here. Numbers (other than crown) haven't been increased for some time and population growth would suggest that guidelines of machines per head could increase significantly in a number of regions (Wyndham, Cardinia, etc.). I'd hope not but personally can see the government justifying an increase with the next lot of rights (2022).

Hope not, but probably depends who is in power.

Not it doesnt. The eagles stadium deal has no connection to the number of clubs in Victoria. You give all clubs the same deal the eagles have and everyone would have money.

the stadium deal can only divide up the pie. The fact is that with the prices charged in WA the size of the pie is so much bigger.

and not owned by Hawthorn in the Ghetto which is the western suburbs of Melbourne, right? Because they're the only *bad* ones...

They are certainly the largest, and are the ones who stand out in utilising pokie revenue to get to the AFL's top of the pops.

Furthermore, over half the pokie revenue is stripped from a community that has zero connection with Hawthorn in any way, shape or form.

They are certainly the largest, and are the ones who stand out in utilising pokie revenue to get to the AFL's top of the pops.

Furthermore, over half the pokie revenue is stripped from a community that has zero connection with Hawthorn in any way, shape or form.
And as much as I can't stand the Hawks they are very smart on and off the field. Someone has to own the pokies, I'd rather a sporting club profit from them than a private owner who keeps the funds for himself.

And as much as I can't stand the Hawks they are very smart on and off the field. Someone has to own the pokies, I'd rather a sporting club profit from them than a private owner who keeps the funds for himself.

I wouldn't recommend you read through the rest of the thread, but Gigantor has a major issue with Hawthorn from the 'leafy green eastern suburbs' apparently ripping money off the impoverished people of the western suburbs.

Inconvenient things like facts and details (like how if Hawthorn left, they'd be replaced before you could blink, Collingwood having a similar number a few miles up the road, or his massive misrepresentation of the western suburbs) that don't fit his narrative are, apparently irrelevant.

I wouldn't recommend you read through the rest of the thread, but Gigantor has a major issue with Hawthorn from the 'leafy green eastern suburbs' apparently ripping money off the impoverished people of the western suburbs.

Inconvenient things like facts and details (like how if Hawthorn left, they'd be replaced before you could blink, Collingwood having a similar number a few miles up the road, or his massive misrepresentation of the western suburbs) that don't fit his narrative are, apparently irrelevant.

or the fact Mulgrave isn't "leafy" or "green"

Its like he hasn't been to Melbourne before and is just typecasting entire suburbs to suit his poor argument.

or the fact Mulgrave isn't "leafy" or "green"

Its like he hasn't been to Melbourne before and is just typecasting entire suburbs to suit his poor argument.

I think he projects Sydney onto Melbourne to a degree...

Probably thinks Port Philip Bay is somewhere near the Dandenongs...

And if there wasn't pokies people would blow their money on other forms of gambling. Online betting and gambling are far easier to blow money on than pokies.
And yes I don't have a issue with pokies or gambling

I can't really see elderly pensioners setting up online accounts on their smart phones, tablets or pc's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't really see elderly pensioners setting up online accounts on their smart phones, tablets or pc's.

Youd be surprise, my mum is obsessed with pfp facebook games, and shes 67

I'm a Carlton fan and I find it disgraceful that Carlton operates 4 pokie venues (the most of any Vic club) and the most poker machines.

The pokies wreck so many peoples lives each year by making people broke, getting addicted, losing their jobs and even causing homelessness. I'm still shocked reading through this that Vic clubs are banking on people losing too just to make a profit.

I'm not 100% certain, but weren't Carlton one of the only AFL clubs to operate poker machines at Princes Park back in the day? I think it was the loses from the pokies there that got rid of them. Its just disgraceful. It's even worse when Carlton say they signed a deal with this anti gambling company when in essence they base one of their main sources of income through gambling.

I admire the Kangeroos for being pokie free and encouraging us to love the game once again.

If Carlton and any other clubs who are in the red struggling to make profit the best solution is to start winning games to get more prime time fixtures while at the same time getting more members to sign up.

I'm a Carlton fan and I find it disgraceful that Carlton operates 4 pokie venues (the most of any Vic club) and the most poker machines.

The pokies wreck so many peoples lives each year by making people broke, getting addicted, losing their jobs and even causing homelessness. I'm still shocked reading through this that Vic clubs are banking on people losing too just to make a profit.

I'm not 100% certain, but weren't Carlton one of the only AFL clubs to operate poker machines at Princes Park back in the day? I think it was the loses from the pokies there that got rid of them. Its just disgraceful. It's even worse when Carlton say they signed a deal with this anti gambling company when in essence they base one of their main sources of income through gambling.

I admire the Kangeroos for being pokie free and encouraging us to love the game once again.

If Carlton and any other clubs who are in the red struggling to make profit the best solution is to start winning games to get more prime time fixtures while at the same time getting more members to sign up.

I'm not a fan of pokies either and I certainly agree that professional sports are better subsidised with money that kleptocrats have stolen from people in poor countries rather than through legal gambling in ones own country

The AFL & NRL are under the pump from gument regards the amount of gambling advertising on tv. Add to that the rising community noise over the effects of poker machines, its interesting times for sport & their income sources.

It appears the AFL & clubs may be coming under more financial pressure. Listening to a media & marketing guy on ABC radio today, he believes the next round of media rights will be under a lot of pressure. Channel 9 & 10 have limited funds. Hence crickets next rights war may not get the $$$ CA want. 10 wont be able to afford to keep the BBL. Then comes the next AFL rights in a tight media market being squeezed by reducing revenue streams.
Interesting times ahead given the rising pressures on the pokie industry from community groups. Overall incomes may come under pressure.

It appears the AFL & clubs may be coming under more financial pressure. Listening to a media & marketing guy on ABC radio today, he believes the next round of media rights will be under a lot of pressure. Channel 9 & 10 have limited funds. Hence crickets next rights war may not get the $$$ CA want. 10 wont be able to afford to keep the BBL. Then comes the next AFL rights in a tight media market being squeezed by reducing revenue streams.
Interesting times ahead given the rising pressures on the pokie industry from community groups. Overall incomes may come under pressure.

They say the same thing every time, the AFL seems to find a way though.

And i note a new thread about the AFL having a gaming convention ( e sports) etc at etihad.

It seems there is more than one way to skin a cat.

They say the same thing every time, the AFL seems to find a way though.

And i note a new thread about the AFL having a gaming convention ( e sports) etc at etihad.

It seems there is more than one way to skin a cat.
Gaming conventions have nothing to do with this thread. They're closer to sport than gambling.

Gaming conventions have nothing to do with this thread. They're closer to sport than gambling.

I think it was mentioned more as another source of revenue to replace the shortfall than as a comment on gaming/gambling per se.

The AFL will either make it's money, or the shortfall will reduce spending in many areas, not just the clubs.

I think we moved the pokies out of the old social club stand as we wouldn't be able to receive government funding for the structure that replaced it if it had pokies on site.

Dont say that, apparently media rights only ever exponentially rise because afl is so awesome

Ive been saying for a while we are approaching "peak oil". The cricket should be a wake up call that the party is over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back