The AFL clubs that missed out on a side - where do we sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-15/womens-league-teams-to-be-named-on-wednesday
Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin.

compared to
West Coast's vision was to field "a sustainable, professional, and premiership-winning" team to grow women's football in Western Australia.

West Coast may have deserved a team but they needed a better reason than "coz we promise were gonna be really good n that"

I'm glad that the result of one game didn't tip it in their favour.

on the submissions

Here's a snapshot of what the biddings clubs outlined in their proposals:

• Adelaide's bid centered on an "exciting" and "well-supported" approach to women's football, creating pathways for those who aspire to play at the highest level.
  • The Brisbane Lions outlined their suitability for a team by illustrating how their existing facilities could be used to "make dreams come true" for female "superstars".
  • Carlton vowed to take "a genuine" approach to its women's team, arguing it had existing facilities and the right coaching staff to support female players.
  • Collingwood's proposal was built on its vision of being Australia's biggest and most inclusive sporting club. The Magpies would use their $25 million state-of-the-art facilities to support a women's team.
  • Fremantle lodged a "compelling and unique" case, proposing that Curtin University and the City of Cockburn would be the club's major partners. The Dockers said players could be offered either a job with the club or education and scholarship opportunities via Curtin.
  • Geelong's said its bid was aligned to the club's values of "respect for diversity, respect for women and, in particular, allowing women and people to be the best they can possibly be".
  • Greater Western Sydney wanted a women's team to "break down barriers" and grow participation from grassroots to the elite level.
  • Melbourne focused on "opening up its elite facilities" in preparation for a women's team.
  • North Melbourne argued it understood the women's football landscape, pointing to its "existing and robust model for women's football" and its long-term partnership with Melbourne University's women's team.
  • Richmond said its campaign was driven by "its authentic and long-term commitment to gender equity, and the establishment of a culture that would allow a women's team to thrive".
  • St Kilda, the first club to appoint a female assistant coach, said its bid was based on creating an "integrated high-performance network of three teams".
  • West Coast's vision was to field "a sustainable, professional, and premiership-winning" team to grow women's football in Western Australia.
  • The Western Bulldogs argued they would take "a genuine high-performance approach" to women's football to inspire young female players.

According to Jake Niall

1. One club from each state outside of Victoria.

2. Fremantle had a 200 page submission and they involved Curtin University. Their push of the product was ahead of West Coast despite West Coast being the bigger club.

3. Geelong had a fantastic submission based on geography and the area they would cover. Problem was that their area and Western Victoria doesn't produce a lot of female players.

4. The Northern Corridor, North of Melbourne where Darebin plays, Carlton have been very strong in that area and are geographically close to that area so they had an advantage there.

5. Collingwood are also strong in that Northern Corridor and they felt that Collingwood's brand was strong and they wanted a powerful club.

6. The balanced off a bit with the lesser supported clubs Melbourne and the Dogs who made all the running against bigger clubs which cost St Kilda who have a strong women's football area as well. He seemed to throw in a little bit more supposition on this point though.

7. Richmond disappointed as they felt having a female president and a culture push they have made gave them a strong submission.

So Carlton probably didn't get a spot because they got on their knees. They did put in the work in the Northern Corridor and they were in a very strong area for playing stocks. Collingwood do share the same area but it was their massive brand the AFL felt they needed to have to add balance and get more support. This may help with sponsorship and crowds, time will tell.

It appears St Kilda were unlucky but were a victim of the AFL wanting Collingwood's brand and the fact that Melbourne and the Dogs were deemed to be more deserving because of the work they had put in previously.

Cats are just plain unlucky in that their area isn't well represented at this time.

The reasons are ******* bullshit! It should have been Collingwood or Carlton but never both. 2 teams strong in the Northern corridor but no southern corridor or regional teams what kind of crap is that.

We also know the AFL wanted to fit in 2 additional teams but the advisory panel said no, so the AFL instead of doing the right thing just awarded them to the 2 teams with the most back room clout.

Melbourne & Bulldogs were always getting a team because AFL house would have been burnt to the ground if they didn't yet the AFL still decided to snub them when it came to the opening match.

The clubs with an AFLW team have a major opportunity in my view. In particular the smaller clubs in Victoria, i.e. Melbourne and the Bulldogs.

Females are half the market. Having a team is a massive advantage when attracting new female supporters to the club. If you're a young girl who is picking a team, and you want to follow the women's team, then you have four clubs to pick from in Victoria. Not 10.

Hope they keep it at eight clubs for as long as possible, while my club capaitalises on consolidating these new supporters. I don't think this will result in us becoming one of the bigger clubs, but if it means we can attract a whole bunch of new supporters (at the expense of an Essendon or North Melbourne, for example), then we will certainly be a stronger club for it. Exciting times ahead.

We also know the AFL wanted to fit in 2 additional teams but the advisory panel said no, so the AFL instead of doing the right thing just awarded them to the 2 teams with the most back room clout.
If I'm remembering right, there was always going to be 4 Victorian teams, there were just question marks over whether there would be a South Australian and a NSW team.

I hope that West Coast and Port get a team so derbies can happen soon.
Whilst I agree with the sentiment , Port didn't apply ? (So I suspect the other teams who missed out - Saints/North/Geelong /Richmond/Eagles would be ahead of Port)

Port made it quite clear that they would be concentrating on their upcoming match/es in China. Which means in footyspeak potential financial returns.
This is my opinion - The talent pool in SA was a but thin at that time, which may have assisted their decision.
Not sure what the Swans will do because- They also made it quite clear at that time they did not or were likely to get the extra facilities to cater for an extra team and all that goes with it. IF that is still their attitude they will likely be one of the last to get on board.
Would like to hear from any Swans supporters on here with links to the club on this topic.
The Eagles new facilities construction is underway but I think nothing will happen AFLW wise until 2019. Which will give the WA/National talent pool time to develop further.
Slightly off topic. In Perth over the weekend there was a big media push on Radio and TV to promote the new league. Neutrals would have been aware it was commencing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton have 260000 friends on facebook but only 45000 paying members not sure its relevance is as much as you think, until it starts adding to your bottom line that is.

Members are bandwagoners, obviously no one is on Carlton's bandwagon at the moment, the AFL have an idea of how many followers clubs have, how many members a club has is irrelevant. This is purely marketing, there is nothing more to it, the AFL have put the game in the hands of the clubs who they believe will promote it and handle it the best. The clubs who have been awarded the initial teams have been because they have been judged the best to promote the game and best to handle the operation of the team. There's no conspiracy theory here, that's just how it is and it looks as if the AFL have got it right.

I think that this will add a great deal to the bottom line of the AFL and the Clubs. Maybe not initially but I think this will be financially enormous for the game. Women make up around half the population and we expect them to follow a game they can't relate to because they have never been able to see themselves playing it. Change that you get an enormous amount of women following the game, playing the game and aspiring to play it at the top level. Those women grow up with an interest in the game and interest equals membership and attendances and player registration which all ends up in the pockets of the AFL and the Clubs. It may take time. It may take 15-20 years. When this generation of girls become adult women having grown up watching AFLW and having the option to play the game and go to a high level, the AFL and all clubs will be handsomely rewarded. This will be a massive step in growing the game in NSW and QLD and it will also grow the men's game too.

yes, because Social Media numbers are never rubbery or easily manipulated. If your only argument as to why they deserve it is that, then i'm going to call that out as the 100% bullshit that it is.

I will agree that Carlton are much better set up to join than Collingwood. FFS they don't even have a proper ground to play at - Olympic Park is not even VFL or below standard for games to be played.

Do you have a better way of coming up with how many supporters teams have? I'm sure the clubs and the AFL have a reasonable idea. It's actually not a bad way of predicting how many people follow these clubs. It's obvious that clubs who have the biggest following and are the most willing to support a women's side should be the ones who are rewarded with a side first.

Agree with Collingwood's ground not being up to scratch but this comes down to the AFL, schedule their games elsewhere. Collingwood had to have a team, they are the biggest brand in Victoria, they are going to provide the biggest exposure for this product. It's a nobrainer.

The AFL have shown little faith in their product which can be reflected from their scheduling. People want to see this, it needs to be played in stadiums which can handle the crowds.

Last edited:
Wow nice of you to turn it into a dick measuring contest, guess Carlton & Collingwood win by default then.

Why do St. Kilda deserve a team over any other teams? I can think of quite a few reasons why they'd be down the bottom of the list. No offence but this is the real world which is not a charity it's business. This is an organisation trying to get its product out there and it needs to be placed in the hands of those will give it the most exposure therefore the most followed clubs come into play. They will promote it best, they will create the most initial interest.

Why do St. Kilda deserve a team over any other teams? I can think of quite a few reasons why they'd be down the bottom of the list. No offence but this is the real world which is not a charity it's business. This is an organisation trying to get its product out there and it needs to be placed in the hands of those will give it the most exposure therefore the most followed clubs come into play. They will promote it best, they will create the most initial interest.

Politically, I think St Kilda were always going to find it difficult to get AFL support for this. The AFL heirarchy have long memories and supported St Kilda in going to Tasmania (which didn't last), New Zealand (which didn't last) and Seaford (which won't last much longer). How were the AFL to know that St Kilda wouldn't back out of the Woman's League in a few years time like they have with other ventures?

LOL at people still complaining that Carlton got the License:

1. Big VIC rivalry to draw up attention to the game... i.e. Last Friday's game v Collingwood. As much as Richmond fans wish to argue... there is no comparison to the Carlton v Collingwood rivalry.

2. Carlton went full throttle in an attempt to win a license. It was not a "sure we'll have license". Lots of time and energy was spent to show how much we wanted a license. Were you there to see each pitch? Did you compare each proposal? Well the people who made the decision sure did and chose Carlton.

3. Carlton has a stadium to host the games. Imagine telling Carlton, sorry no license for you... but uh yeah we want to use your stadium

4. You have short memories. Carlton has the second/third largest supporter based in VIC

5. Why the hell would they give it to another Victorian team, especially St Kilda and Richmond? The only other team that would make sense is Geelong purely based on Geography, but if their pitch did not tick every box, well so be it.

The AFLW is already reaping the rewards of giving Carlton a license. From attendance, TV viewers, inner city Stadium to host games, performance etc.

Port made it quite clear that they would be concentrating on their upcoming match/es in China. Which means in footyspeak potential financial returns.
This is my opinion - The talent pool in SA was a but thin at that time, which may have assisted their decision.
Not sure what the Swans will do because- They also made it quite clear at that time they did not or were likely to get the extra facilities to cater for an extra team and all that goes with it. IF that is still their attitude they will likely be one of the last to get on board.
Would like to hear from any Swans supporters on here with links to the club on this topic.
The Eagles new facilities construction is underway but I think nothing will happen AFLW wise until 2019. Which will give the WA/National talent pool time to develop further.
Slightly off topic. In Perth over the weekend there was a big media push on Radio and TV to promote the new league. Neutrals would have been aware it was commencing.
With the exposure, I think the talent pool would double within 3 years. The "Well what's the point playing the game after age 12" will now continue and those that are 15 years old that stopped a few years earlier, might take it back up.

There is a fair distance between the best players and the middle - low range players, so I think you will find the top players will double and shouldn't be too hard to develop more middle range players.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment , Port didn't apply ? (So I suspect the other teams who missed out - Saints/North/Geelong /Richmond/Eagles would be ahead of Port)
This is not a "feel sorry for them, lets give them a team" comp. The AFLW will need to be aggressive in growing the game and if Port put their hand up for the next license, they will be seriously considered... ahead of St Kilda and North at least.

This is not a "feel sorry for them, lets give them a team" comp. The AFLW will need to be aggressive in growing the game and if Port put their hand up for the next license, they will be seriously considered... ahead of St Kilda and North at least.
I'd agree with you if the teams who already applied but missed out , weren't given provisional licenses .
I'd be annoyed if Port got a team ahead of my team (and I'm sure supporters of the other 4 teams who missed out , would feel the same way)
It's a pity Port didn't apply .

If your club wanted a team they should have put forward a better proposal.

If you actually believe the teams chosen were based on the proposals they put forward then you truly are naive.

Port didn't apply because they were told there would only be one side from SA and that would be the Crows.

No point wasting our time. Even though we already had a women's side.

If you actually believe the teams chosen were based on the proposals they put forward then you truly are naive.
I think they were in some cases
eg Freo v. Us
But unfortunately not in other cases.

Port didn't apply because they were told there would only be one side from SA and that would be the Crows.

No point wasting our time. Even though we already had a women's side.
Source?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back