The AFL clubs that missed out on a side - where do we sit?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm frankly amazed that Collingwood's Netball licence didn't disqualify them.

Why? Because Caro said so on offsiders?

Seriously, there is no rational reason why us having a netball team should have disqualified us

You could make a case that Collingwood didn't "deserve" a team but the AFL clearly factored in what was best for getting this off the ground (ie for the women) not for the assumed rights of some of the smaller melbourne clubs to get a team

Carlton has a massive national brand.

Membership has been affected by:

- When Collins was President & his conflict of interest & lack of consultation
- Our overall performance over the past 15 years
- Fevola's sacking
- Malthouse coaching us

Supporters are overcoming these issues slowly. I predict a massive surge in memberships over the coming years as the club continues to get things right off the field.

Carlton also has the best facilities & venue for women's footy in Melbourne. Simple fact. The decision to grant Carlton a women's team was the right one.

This is not a "feel sorry for them, lets give them a team" comp. The AFLW will need to be aggressive in growing the game and if Port put their hand up for the next license, they will be seriously considered... ahead of St Kilda and North at least.

Quality Post

I can see teams that didn't initially bid for a team being successful in obtaining a license before teams that hold "so called" Provision Licenses.

Melbourne inner suburban areas look well covered. My bet would be West Coast, Port Adelaide, Geelong, or St Kilda as potential new AFLW teams.

Quality Post

I can see teams that didn't initially bid for a team being successful in obtaining a license before teams that hold "so called" Provision Licenses.

Melbourne inner suburban areas look well covered. My bet would be West Coast, Port Adelaide, Geelong, or St Kilda as potential new AFLW teams.
3 of the 4 teams you named have provisional licenses anyway

Geelong probably deserve it more
But I think we'd be second
But who knows what the AFL are thinking

It'd probably be more a matter of where the players are.

AFLW doesn't relocate significant enough numbers of players to build a club base just on which club they want to give a licence to.

North's been aligned with the Melb Uni WFC for a number of years now, we even have pathways for their staff into North, no surprise they were one of the highest drafted clubs.

Laura Kane who used to be the MUWFC head coach, is North's new Football Operations Manager, she's the highest ranking female in the league in a football dept role, by a long way.

This coaching program often gets overlooked in the Collingwood just got a licence because they're a big team argument and I suspect there's more to every teams bid than what's been made public.

http://www.aflvic.com.au/blog/2016/07/06/collingwood-football-club-coaching-pathway-scholarships/
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2016-09-16/collingwood-finalises-womens-coaching-panel

In terms of grounds Olympic Park isn't ideal, but neither is the slightly better Casey Fields. Similarly St Kilda would have had the same issues with Seaford until the Moorabbin refurb is complete.

The WCE forum may be unique in generally acknowledging that the club pitch was poor, and they probably deservedly lost to Freo.

That said, I would be staggered if they were not in the next phase of expansion, however the AFL should make them produce another pitch and see if they learnt anything.

Until then I will be following the Dockers, I have been watching the progression of to many of the players to jump of just because they had to Don the purple, beside, I suspect quite a few will be with the Eagles in a couple of years.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Definitely harder to follow for supporters of clubs who don't have teams in the comp. I couldn't bring myself to support another side so I can't imagine myself having any interest in the comp and I know plenty of other Bombers supporters in the same boat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely harder to follow for supporters of clubs who don't have teams in the comp. I couldn't bring myself to support another side so I can't imagine myself having any interest in the comp and I know plenty of other Bombers supporters in the same boat

Just follow the Giants until you get a team.

I live close to Casey so I guess the 'Melbourne' team represents me best.
I can see why they went with the teams that they did, but still disappointing. Punt Road Oval (if it could be used) is a good sized ground in the best position for AFLW.

Was there ever any thought of making teams more geographically vague like the Big Bash?

I.e grouping Saints/Hawthorn/Melbourne together; North/Essendon/Footscray together Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond together?

This is the only recent info on the Eagles new development at Lathlain we could find.
It says it will be scheduled to be ready at the beginning of 2018, which means better progress being made, and could mean anything.
On the AFL Women official site it lists an Eagles Womens Squad for 2016.
So the big decision by the AFL - Do they go in? -2018 or 2019.
http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/news/2016-10-24/lathlain-facilities-take-next-big-step

I live close to Casey so I guess the 'Melbourne' team represents me best.
I can see why they went with the teams that they did, but still disappointing. Punt Road Oval (if it could be used) is a good sized ground in the best position for AFLW.

Was there ever any thought of making teams more geographically vague like the Big Bash?

I.e grouping Saints/Hawthorn/Melbourne together; North/Essendon/Footscray together Collingwood/Carlton/Richmond together?

I'm pretty sure they were wedded to the AFL clubs from the very start - we now see it was probably the right move, but personally, I wanna see the other teams come in sooner rather than later.

I agree with the post above re Punt Rd, will be a great venue when the tiges come in.

If your club wanted a team they should have put forward a better proposal.
Could understand the decision a bit more if any team had a better proposal than Geelong.
What other side has a 30,000+ seat stadium with dedicated change rooms for a female side?

Could understand the decision a bit more if any team had a better proposal than Geelong.
What other side has a 30,000+ seat stadium with dedicated change rooms for a female side?

Having a 30k stadium probably wasn't one of the criteria, and with only four victorian teams being part of the inaugural season (and two spots were already sewn up) - then Geelong was always going to struggle to get past Collingwood, Carlton and even Richmond.

I think Geelong had three problems - it tied itself to a relatively underdeveloped region, it wasnt one of the "pioneers" of womens football, and without hawthorns involvement it lacked any traditional big game rivalry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back