The AFL got this one right.

Remove this Banner Ad

RICE80SF

Senior List
Jun 14, 2000
Geelong, VIC. (Is Don Is Grand)
Bardot, remember them? You know the "Postar" girls. Yeah it's hard I know. Well the AFL just recently put Kibosh (spell?) on them singing at the Grand Final, thank the Lord. There must be someone thinking there after all Micky Malthouse.

The Girls got a gig at last weekends Bledisloe Cup opening however, singing Advance Australia Fair. By all accounts the girlies murdered it, with northern newspapers lambasting them for the embarassment. Apparentley it was unrecognisable, and a stream of angry calls and e-mails were directed to Rugby Union Australia.

How ironic for the "ho-hum domestic league" to see reason and the Aussie "World Game" (what is it about 10 countries whom play and 5-6 who are half descent) ruling body, degrades the national song, with a bunch of manufactured Pop Bimbo's. Ha ha ha love it
biggrin.gif

Cheers.

Trust the AFL to mess things up. There hasn't been any good Grand Final entertainment for a long time. I also reckon that they should bring back the balloons being released when the team runs out onto the ground (although they thought it was bad for the environment)

Even money on either Tim Clarke from Hawthorn, David Clarke or David Wojcinski.

I reckon it will be pretty competitive at Geelong finding the quickest player.

Speaking of Half time entertainment at the Grand Final. It's terrible.

If your team is playing, you can't enjoy it. I remember 1995 like it was yeasterday.

It's usually so bad you can't enjoy it anyway!

Pre-game has improved in recent years, but it has been basically the same since 1996, except for that horrid bit with the Russian Cosmonaut.

Call me old fashioned if you will, but no-one does Advance Australia Fair like Julie Anthony.

However, I don't think she will get the job because they usually play her version of the anthem before all the finals anyway.

That is the version which as Bruce would say:
"Make's the hair stand up on the back of your neck!"

On the pre-match 'entertainment' well its been a while since 91 so maybe im old fashioned. Yet when i went to GF's (and i only go if the Hawks are playing i actually could have gone to 93 but i really would have felt like i was depriving a supporter from either the Dons or Blues a chance to see their club in a GF. And everyone even Dons and Blues deserve to see their team in a GF at least once) where was i???

Oh right when i did go 76 Hawks through to 00 Hawks (heres hoping) my pre-match entertainment was head down between my knees trying not to be sick with the thoughts of the match coming up. Everything else was either blocked out or not relevant to me. THE GAME is what i went to see. Stuff Julie Andrews/Angry Anderson etc etc. If its your team the only thing thats on your mind should be when the first boucne is starting to get the GAME started.

Then you really start to panic
biggrin.gif

I thought the only reason we picked up Fraser from Collingwood was for the half time sprint... oh and cos is dad was the best player of his generation....

yeah... bring back the sprints, long distance kicking comp...

and how bout a accuracy kicking comp... say, within a time limit.. kick a few from certain angles, on a 40m arc...

s**t.. i'm gonna get flamed from the anti-americanism establishment in here...!

I'm with you Grendel, I couldn't tell you anything about the pre-match entertainment in 1997 because I was a nervous wreck.

The only thing I can remember was Mark Seymour singing "Holy Grail" because it is such an awesome song and for some reason I thought it was fate that my favourite song was being performed on our big day.

And at half time we had one hand on the trophy. However like the majority of saints fans I have never seen a replay of the match and never will.

How about that? Holy Grail is my favourite song too. Without wanting to be too cruel, I taped it at the beginning of the Grand Final and now I listen to it every time I watch the replay.

"Holy Grail" goes perfectly with football..

No worries Daniel,

I can now listen to the song without it haunting me.

Like a lot of saints fans, I will NEVER watch a replay of the match and my only memories of the game are what I remember from being there.

Let's just say the memories of a few of Mr Alves' positional moves are not the fondest memories I have.

I like 'Holy Grail' but my favourite Hunnas song is 'Throw your arms around me'.

Just on the Hunnas they were awesome live. Highlights used to be when "bettys bonnet or the slab" played and a whole room full of (FULL OF VB MAINLY) joined in the chorus of
"You dont make me feel, like im a woman anymore" surreal feeling that was
biggrin.gif

But yea sainter, if they must persist with 'singers' before the game, they could at least rock it up a bit. The atrocity of Noel Mcmahons (?) Waltzing Mathilda should never (in the words of a Jericholic) EEVVERR
be inflicted on the paying public again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back