The AFL in Ireland?

Where do you think the AFL should expand Internationally next?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
The AFL in recent times has been playing games in China that, lets just say, haven't been the greatest of successes. the people that turn up to the game is A) an Australian that has flown over to watch the game or B) a random Chinese person that has no clue what is going on. The AFL should give up on china and look at a new location. I would think Ireland would be the safest bet on where they should go. The amount of Ireland players in the AFL now are massive compared to 10 years ago and I think because of Gaelic football and the International rules, this could turn into a massive success for the AFL.Even in the long term set up an Academy and feeding out more great Irish players. This is what I propose, 1-3 games will be played in Ireland every year (Pre-season or actual season) and a permanent Academy/Training Base in Ireland to farming more talented Irish Players. This is just my opinion on what the AFL should do next in International Expansion. What do you think of this and where do you think our great game should go to next?

The AFL in recent times has been playing games in China that, lets just say, haven't been the greatest of successes. the people that turn up to the game is A) an Australian that has flown over to watch the game or B) a random Chinese person that has no clue what is going on. The AFL should give up on china and look at a new location. I would think Ireland would be the safest bet on where they should go. The amount of Ireland players in the AFL now are massive compared to 10 years ago and I think because of Gaelic football and the International rules, this could turn into a massive success for the AFL.Even in the long term set up an Academy and feeding out more great Irish players. This is what I propose, 1-3 games will be played in Ireland every year (Pre-season or actual season) and a permanent Academy/Training Base in Ireland to farming more talented Irish Players. This is just my opinion on what the AFL should do next in International Expansion. What do you think of this and where do you think our great game should go to next?

I would think the expansion into China is much more about the commercial and business (suppose tourism also)interests then pure grass roots growth.
On that note, haven't quite worked out why it's PA and GC and not one of the bigger powerhouse clubs, a Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood against a Sydney or Adelaide.
Surely they would get so much more out of it commercially, tourism wise and pure numbers based on the amount of expats that must support those clubs.

I agree with the Ireland idea, think it would be a slam dunk in terms of local publicity, interest from potential players and the Irish public who are already familiar with the AFL.

Don't see the contradiction with China though. Think there's room for both- a pair of pre/regular season games in Ireland and a one off in China.

I would think the expansion into China is much more about the commercial and business (suppose tourism also)interests then pure grass roots growth.
On that note, haven't quite worked out why it's PA and GC and not one of the bigger powerhouse clubs, a Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood against a Sydney or Adelaide.
Surely they would get so much more out of it commercially, tourism wise and pure numbers based on the amount of expats that must support those clubs.

I agree with the Ireland idea, think it would be a slam dunk in terms of local publicity, interest from potential players and the Irish public who are already familiar with the AFL.

Don't see the contradiction with China though. Think there's room for both- a pair of pre/regular season games in Ireland and a one off in China.

Do some research. The China venture been driven by Port Adelaide over the past five to six years.

https://www.afr.com/business/sport/...ringing-afl-to-china-pays-off-20170510-gw1phv

Do some research. The China venture been driven by Port Adelaide over the past five to six years.

https://www.afr.com/business/sport/...ringing-afl-to-china-pays-off-20170510-gw1phv
Yes f course which is why they're the ones playing the game there.
I was just saying if that's what PA a relatively small club and location could achieve tin terms of fan interest and sponsors, imagine what a big Melbourne based club or a team like Sydney could attract in terms of sponsorship and game interest. (there must be more Carlton, essendon, collingwood , richmond expat supporters in china than PA who surely many have extensive business connections there)

Apparently St Kilda will be going to China next year

I don't think Ireland is plausible as a commercial destination for an AFL match. I doubt they even have a stadium that could host one. The China game is primarily a commercial endeavour.

On the other hand - despite the delusional idea that there are dozens of Mason Cox's running around in the American college system - though Ireland will remain the dominant source of international talent for many decades to come, I doubt playing a game there will add much

Apparently St Kilda will be going to China next year

I don't think Ireland is plausible as a commercial destination for an AFL match. I doubt they even have a stadium that could host one. The China game is primarily a commercial endeavour.

On the other hand - despite the delusional idea that there are dozens of Mason Cox's running around in the American college system - though Ireland will remain the dominant source of international talent for many decades to come, I doubt playing a game there will add much

Agree, in terms of a potential commercial return, it's China all the way.

Ireland will never be anything more than a source of players (one day, will probably be more women than men), and that probably suits both parties fine.

Any AFL game in Ireland would have to be at Malahide with temporary stands etc or at the new cricket facility being built in West Dublin.

Not sure The Oval (like 87???) would be a suitable venue now in the UK as it has reduced in size with the bigger stands encroaching on the playing surface.

The AFL decided recently to set up in part a section focusing on China and India and has appointed in part staff to that Dept.
Those two countries will likely be the focus for the AFL in the future.
The China project will be of course with Port Power and their matches in China.
The India project will be initially with 4 x AFL Clubs playing exhibition matches up there.
There are grassroots schools programs in both countries with the Power Schools venture in Chinese Provinces, and in India the Reclink Organisation operating in 5 States in North Eastern India.
Both countries total 2.5 billion in population so that is the logical place to go.
The only other place possibly could be New Zealand if they eventually build a proper specced Cricket/Footy Complex in Auckland so AFL Matches could maybe held in conjunction with AFL St Kilda, who their CEO Matt Finnis said recently were still interested in the idea.
AFL St Kilda have been mooted also to play in China in 2019 and have support from Vic Govt.

The AFL decided recently to set up in part a section focusing on China and India and has appointed in part staff to that Dept.
Those two countries will likely be the focus for the AFL in the future.
The China project will be of course with Port Power and their matches in China.
The India project will be initially with 4 x AFL Clubs playing exhibition matches up there.
There are grassroots schools programs in both countries with the Power Schools venture in Chinese Provinces, and in India the Reclink Organisation operating in 5 States in North Eastern India.
Both countries total 2.5 billion in population so that is the logical place to go.
The only other place possibly could be New Zealand if they eventually build a proper specced Cricket/Footy Complex in Auckland so AFL Matches could maybe held in conjunction with AFL St Kilda, who their CEO Matt Finnis said recently were still interested in the idea.
AFL St Kilda have been mooted also to play in China in 2019 and have support from Vic Govt.
Not sure where you are getting all that info from but I 'm surprised Saints are looking at NZ again after pulling out of matches in Wellington a few years ago.

BTW IMO the AFL should take exhibition matches to the US.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where you are getting all that info from but I 'm surprised Saints are looking at NZ again after pulling out of matches in Wellington a few years ago.

BTW IMO the AFL should take exhibition matches to the US.

Why wouldn't they? The pulled out of Wellington because Wellington Council stopped underwriting it. If they got a better and more sustainable deal in Auckland, why would they not take it? NZ is also a plausible source of future talent as well.

My understanding is that, rather than "looking at NZ again", the only thing that has changed with their NZ engagement is they aren't playing a game a year in Wellington anymore

Why wouldn't they? The pulled out of Wellington because Wellington Council stopped underwriting it. If they got a better and more sustainable deal in Auckland, why would they not take it? NZ is also a plausible source of future talent as well.

My understanding is that, rather than "looking at NZ again", the only thing that has changed with their NZ engagement is they aren't playing a game a year in Wellington anymore
From what I remember their crowds in Wellington were 22k and 13k with a lot of tickets given away. Those crowds numbers aren't too bad. However I believe Wellington council were dissapointed with the numbers of Aussie tourists they hoped the matches would bring and so withdrew their support.

As you say if they can secure an agreement with Auckland it may become a success.

Back