Expansion The AFL is not the VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So if the AFL made a 1 hour doco, how much time would you devote to each state/region?

The AFL acknowledges that the sport is played in many places, and in some forums recognises such contributions (Hall of fame for example)...It just leaves WAFL history to the WAFL (etc etc) and focuses what little effort it does put into history primarily on it's own (which includes the VFL).

Limiting it to a 1 hour doco would leave little time for many of the key events in the history of the sport. All I'm saying is I can sympathise with those who feel the AFL overlooks WA/SA and even other states history in the development of the game especially considering the history of the sport is intertwined amongst the states. Reading the book Time and Space helped hit that point home for me especially as regards to some of the different rule changes/tactics etc that developed across states. Another thing that book helped hit home was how much more seriously the Vics took their footy in the early years particularly when it came to training and the "will" to win (read will to knock someone out to win) compared to the other states particularly SA.

Limiting it to a 1 hour doco would leave little time for many of the key events in the history of the sport. All I'm saying is I can sympathise with those who feel the AFL overlooks WA/SA and even other states history in the development of the game especially considering the history of the sport is intertwined amongst the states. Reading the book Time and Space helped hit that point home for me especially as regards to some of the different rule changes/tactics etc that developed across states. Another thing that book helped hit home was how much more seriously the Vics took their footy in the early years particularly when it came to training and the "will" to win (read will to knock someone out to win) compared to the other states particularly SA.

1 hour doco not enough...Just how much history do you think the AFL puts out there? A 1 hr doco would be a massive increase.

I'd do it as a series - an episode per state, one for the begining and one for national comp.

I'm a history nerd, and I'd struggle with 8 hours of this. (assuming 1 hr episodes).

Documentaries rarely are. Of any kind.

Meaning there is no money in it...There are degrees though (Vic, WA & SA *might* break even)

Which takes us back to the current situation of the AFL largely ignoring history unless it can be used in it's promotions and advertising, and people complaining that non AFL history gets ignored as it's usually less useful for this.

It's probably worth noting that the history of football in NSW was trotted out a fair bit with them setting up GWS (possibly in QLD with GC as well, but I don't recall any of that...although quite possibly as the history of football on the GC is 'colourful', but not exactly positive, they avoided it)....As I said, when it's useful, they'll use it, and until WAFL/SANFL history becomes useful, it'll be largely ignored.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back