jim boy

Umpires Association Head
Jun 4, 2002
Location!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
pivotonians
More power to the players! They already give up a lot that we take for granted. I get to choose who I work for - players dont. I get to choose where I work from, players dont. I have a career that will last decades, most players dont. Sure an even comp is great, but players are also people who should have the right to be able to drive their own careers.

marcmurphy3

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Completely impractical to stop other clubs being able to approach players during the season. Most top players won't sign contracts until they test the market and clubs won't sign lesser players until top players are signed. Doing this would mean all decisions would need to be made in the 2 weeks between the grand final and trade period.

flamingEMBERS

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
4 year initial contracts then straight into RFA and from then onwards FA each time you're out of contract.

Increase the length of the Free Agency Period to allow clubs and players to discuss their futures/make plans. Followed by the trade fortnight/week at the end culminating in the draft, but allow trades/FA signings to continue one-two days after the draft.

Raise the draft age so that no player is in year 12.

Would circumvent any issues related to tampering laws being brought in. The public and media would no doubt be impatient with the inaction in FA and trades just as they did last time it was a month or so, but back then there were no tampering laws.

Last edited:

Apr 19, 2006
The local Satanist Cabal
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Storm, Spurs, Socceroos
Clubs talk to the player managers, not directly to players, so as long as player manager’s manage players it will never stop, as there is always the opportunity to talk “other business” when a club wants to reconstruct a current player.

Thetrader15

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
More power to the players! They already give up a lot that we take for granted. I get to choose who I work for - players dont. I get to choose where I work from, players dont. I have a career that will last decades, most players dont. Sure an even comp is great, but players are also people who should have the right to be able to drive their own careers.
The average AFL footballer earns 4 times the average Australian's wage, so they don't need a career which lasts for decades...and that's just the playing wage, not including sponsorship, endorsements, and other business opportunities.

Plus, there's no formal qualifications (tafe, uni, trade) they need to undertake (ie pay for) either.

Oh, and did I mention they have about 10 weeks of annual leave each year too?

Players can drive their own career, they might just have to do it outside the AFL.

My opinion (and others will disagree, that's fine) is players are forgetting who the most important stakeholder in the game is...it's not them, it's the people who watch the game and pay their salaries. Without fans, the AFL becomes a state league and players are paid ~$30k a year.

There's already heaps of mechanisms for players to choose where they play - DFAs, UFAs, RFAs, trade and the state league.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad