Remove this Banner Ad

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
LYNCH averages 2 goals per game

1.5 contested marks

Fumbles a lot ....is injury prone

Sorry if you want to pay him 1 million a season then your getting ripped off .......

Paul Salmon at Essendon was the last dominant ruck man size forward and I heard on SEN today Richmond, the most dominant team in the AFL currently, have 4 players over 193cm tonight :think:

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Adding a big, powerful gun forward is trouble? Seriously..turn it up.

Have you ever played footy yourself?

Like in a club environment?
Well, they do have the Coleman medalist already playing for them....in footy two can be a crowd very quickly.
I have played and i have watched every forward legend you can possibly think of...this is going to be trouble!!

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Yes. Clubs are going to the AFL in advance to ensure all deals are kosher and per the rules.

Of course they are!

When they're not running systematic doping programs, covering up off field misdemeanors, hiding players from drug testers and the like anyway.

But salary cap stuff, they're all above board!

Of course they are!

When they're not running systematic doping programs, covering up off field misdemeanors, hiding players from drug testers and the like anyway.

But salary cap stuff, they're all above board!

It's too easy to be busted now, which is why they are open. Can't hide coin from bank records

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Weller chose to go to the GC, so did Ablett. Hardly anyone has chosen North Melbourne.
Richmond have done well to fit Lynch in, GC free up cap space.
Everyone tells me it’s normal to accept bigger pay packets so it should be easy for the GC to buy someone.
There should be no compensation.
GC should be the big winners here, plenty of cap space and a very high draft pick. If I were them I couldn’t kick Lynch out fast enough.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
As someone already posted. FA is about player choice not equality. The AFL actually does have a pretty fair compensation system for clubs who are wallowing at the bottom that lose a free agent.

Destination clubs are an imaginary concept IMO however clearly perennially s**t clubs will have trouble attracting and retaining good players.

It sucks now but losing Lynch could be the making of Gold Coast. I sat through losing Scully, Sylvia, Howe, Frawley and others to other clubs when we were a basketcase it took time but it eventually turned around.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Rugby League.

No draft - IMO a silly idea because the junior systems can get out of control
Every player a free agent and can even sign mid season for new teams
A straight up salary cap - when not being cheated

And look at the ladder. Super even. The bad teams aren't that bad. The good teams aren't that good.

There's rarely any talk about big rebuilds based around drafting 18 years olds.

Melbourne, North Queensland and Canberra all do fine away from the big markets.

The smart teams are stable, the bad teams are unstable.

I'm a fan of the draft. And I'm a fan of teams being able to retain players they've drafted for 4-6 years. I do think clubs are mature enough to trade players who desperately need a fresh start or to go home.

But after 4-6 years players all should be free agents when out of contract. That's fair to players and it won't harm the comp nearly as much as people think. It will help the competition equalise.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The dumbest thing about free agency isn't that Lynch is free to Richmond.

It's that Gold Coast would have to cough up some (maybe not much but anything is more than nothing) draft capital for guys like:

Veteran journeyman - Shaun McKernan
State league battler - Josh Corbett from Werribee, 22 year old, passed over in multiple drafts
Cal Moore - 3 years on Richmond's rookie list for 6 games - any players left on rookie lists shouldn't be tied to clubs

All those guys should be free agents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Joey longshadow

Hostis Humani Generis
Oct 23, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore ravens
The captain (and probably the best player) from the team placed 17th on the ladder is going to join the team that finished this season 1st on the ladder and are the reigning premiers.

How can the league spruik the idea of equalisation when the system currently allows the second worst team in the league to lose their most valuable asset and the best team in the league gains said asset without having to give anything back. I just don't get it...

Free agency is about the players wishes not the leagues
It's to allow a player who has possibly been drafted interstate and maybe to a s**t team who has given 8 years of their dream of playing AFL to somewhere that wasn't there choice and this is the payback part of it where they get to decide where they want to go .. James frawley went to hawthorn because he wanted success
Same with Brian lake
Patrick Dangerfield went to geelong because he wanted to go home
And now Tom Lynch wants success too. I might add all of these players are doing this after serving there time in a place that was probably not their first choice
Now I know it hurts when the team you love suffers rejection ..but this is about the players and their wishes. ..
Don't want players to leave. . Get better

If only it were that simple.

Not everything is a great victorian conspiracy. How do you do the AFL corrupt bank records, the asic register, ATO records?

Us "viccos" are good, but not that good ;)

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Not everything is a great victorian conspiracy. How do you do the AFL corrupt bank records, the asic register, ATO records?

Us "viccos" are good, but not that good ;)

Nothing to do with Victorians, it's just incredibly naive of you to think that the only way around the salary cap is to pay cash into a bank account.

For instance, i've heard stories of AFL players being involved in property development partnerships. Prima facie there's nothing wrong with that, but how does the AFL know it was all done at arms length? They might have paid a peppercorn amount for a 20% share in a partnership worth half a million dollars. How do the AFL even know about the share in the partnership if it's in the name of a spouse or a related entity?
To think that such an arrangement would be cleared by the AFL first in all cases is.....well....a bit simple.

Nothing to do with Victorians, it's just incredibly naive of you to think that the only way around the salary cap is to pay cash into a bank account.

For instance, i've heard stories of AFL players being involved in property development partnerships. Prima facie there's nothing wrong with that, but how does the AFL know it was all done at arms length? They might have paid a peppercorn amount for a 20% share in a partnership worth half a million dollars. How do the AFL even know about the share in the partnership if it's in the name of a spouse or a related entity?
To think that such an arrangement would be cleared by the AFL first in all cases is.....well....a bit simple.

Heard of this thing called ASIC?

Get involved in property development your name is on share registers, bank loan applications, council applications and so on

And then the ATO has to be told all about it

It's impossible for a footy player to be given land like this anymore without alarm bells ringing at one of the many agencies the AFL get info from.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Heard of this thing called ASIC?

Get involved in property development your name is on share registers, bank loan applications, council applications and so on

And then the ATO has to be told all about it

It's impossible for a footy player to be given land like this anymore without alarm bells ringing at one of the many agencies the AFL get info from.

Yes, and if Salarycapavoiders Pty Ltd (with a player's sister in law as sole director) as trustee for the Avoidance trust holds shares in Dodgyactivities Pty Ltd which has a share in a property development partnership that was purchased for a million dollars in the books but $1 in real life, how dafaq is the AFL going to know about it? ASIC records show no link to the player, tax is all paid on the profits so the ATO are fine with it.

You seem to think all this s**t is straightforward - I can assure you it takes genuine skill to be able to track it down, particularly when you don't have the statutory powers of the ATO or ASIC (who can just demand information from pretty much anyone). My question is simply what resources does the AFL put into enforcing the rules?

Do you actually know? How many auditors does the ATO employ, and are they any good? I'm actually surprised no-one in the media seems to have asked the question.

dave123

Cancelled
Apr 13, 2010
somewhere
AFL Club
West Coast
Paul Salmon at Essendon was the last dominant ruck man size forward and I heard on SEN today Richmond, the most dominant team in the AFL currently, have 4 players over 193cm tonight :think:
Rugby League.

No draft - IMO a silly idea because the junior systems can get out of control
Every player a free agent and can even sign mid season for new teams
A straight up salary cap - when not being cheated

And look at the ladder. Super even. The bad teams aren't that bad. The good teams aren't that good.

There's rarely any talk about big rebuilds based around drafting 18 years olds.

Melbourne, North Queensland and Canberra all do fine away from the big markets.

The smart teams are stable, the bad teams are unstable.

I'm a fan of the draft. And I'm a fan of teams being able to retain players they've drafted for 4-6 years. I do think clubs are mature enough to trade players who desperately need a fresh start or to go home.

But after 4-6 years players all should be free agents when out of contract. That's fair to players and it won't harm the comp nearly as much as people think. It will help the competition equalise.

The problem

A club puts all Work into a player for the first five years to be left with no one ....but a pick 30

I’d like to atransfer system and floating cap ...so if gcs lose LYNCH

Richmond pay him what he likes but they have to pay a transfer fee that gcs can use in their cap For say two years

The compensation for the losing club as so unfair

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
All this stems from the folly of the GC admin targeting a player that is synonymous with one of the oldest clubs in the world just because they were and still are fully funded by the league itself, not caring one iota about the damage their covetousness caused the Geelong Football Club. The geniuses running the GC decided it was a good idea to pay GAJ $10 million for 5 years whilst completely disregarding the basic needs of providing professional sporting facilities and equipment for their young drafted players.

I'd have sympathy for the GC if they had gone about building their list in the right way but they took short cuts (made callous decisions without considering the impact on other clubs) only available to them because Dimwit wanted his pet projects to succeed at all cost so the best I can now muster is to play the world's smallest violin.
So in a nutshell you think it's outrageous that GC as a competing club acted in their perceived interest and didn't consider the interests of other clubs?

Hmmm......

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Just like it did for hawthorn when they added Gibson and Frawley... adding more talented players only helps. Changing nothing can mean a team falls behind.

They got Gibson before they won the flags. They got Lake because they had a big hole in their defence. Frawley has been pretty much s**t plus he's been injured a lot.

The point is, Hawthorn added those players to fill holes that they thought would help them win a flag. Richmond seem to be working pretty well being the reigning premier and red hot favourite to go back-to-back. Why make this big a change to a winning formula?

I know you can't stand still or you'll get overtaken but fitting Lynch in will be a pretty big departure of what is working for them. Good-luck to him and the Tiges, I will be interested to see what Dimma and his coaching team come up with to accommodate Lynch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back