The AFL should be brought down and replaced by a new governing body

Is it time for a new league that represents all football fans not just one state.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
The covid debacle is the last thrashings of a dying beast.

the fact that they have mismanaged this season so badly and are dragging out the inevitable need for teams to leave victoria till the outbreak is contained when it was clear weeks ago is the icing on the cake

They are just making blatantly partisan call after call.

I suggest a complete new football league to take over - based in south australia - one voting commisioner from each state - all states get an equal voice in a league thats there to grow the game and represent every football fan in every state.

the new league will have signed nothing so the grand final will be up for rotation.

For years weve been told the grand final can only be in melbourne because 100000 fans can attend.

crowd accepting stadiums in covid-free states sitting empty :whitecheck:
teams from covid-free states moved interstate to play each other in hubs :whitecheck:
teams from covid-free states moved to play in victoria in front of no crowds :whitecheck:
victorian teams themselves playing in front of no crowds :whitecheck:

Last edited:
It is quite a dictatorship which stems back from the VFL days when Brisbane and WCE joined the comp in 1987. All the AFL wanted was licence fee money from the new franchises, there was no thought of a level playing field as far as fixturing, playing finals at home when you finished above a Victorian team as was the case with WCE in 1991.

Adelaide had similar struggles but like WC had a solid fan base to prop them up financially. Freo received their licence the year the WC just won their 2nd premierships so were only aloud to have the pick of each other clubs 2 delistings. The new club ended up fielding a side with mostly Claremont WAFL players. In desperation to try and field a more competitive side in their first few years they made some silly trading / drafting errors which exacerbated the issues.

While Freo were $8m in debt and called a basket case by the AFL CEO they had no financial benefits from the AFL, quite the contrary. All the while the AFL have been throwing money and priority picks at North, Carlton, Bulldogs and Melbourne.

I vote yes.

The idea that the AFL wont introduce a Darwin or Tasmanian team because it would be financially unviable, yet prop up the same 3-4 Vic clubs every season is disgusting.

A truly national comp would see both of those states represented. The Grand Final would be rotated like the NFL Superbowl is, instead of corrupt secretive deals made. And most importantly, we shouldn’t have more than half the teams in the competition from 1 state. Right now Victoria uses the fact they have 10 teams as leverage to get advantages over the competition.

Would like to see the new National comp HQ in Adelaide, with 1 or two representatives from each state sitting running the thing.

If Victorians dont want to take part because they would be losing all of their advantages, then play without them. Eventually a suburban club would see an opportunity to join and we would get a truly national competition.

So hows the tearing the whole thing down and starting again working for you?
Nicely on a hung over monday - so far ive given much thought to it whilst lying in bed and wishing i hadnt drunk so much of that delicious red

zero gills were harmed in the making of this post

Nicely on a hung over monday - so far ive given much thought to it whilst lying in bed and wishing i hadnt drunk so much of that delicious red

So what's the latest? Haven't heard of any changes yet, you know something the rest of us don't?

Had one of those reds ... only the last glass was offf ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The covid debacle is the last thrashings of a dying beast.

the fact that they have mismanaged this season so badly and are dragging out the inevitable Need for teams to leave victoria till the outbreak is contained when it was clear weeks ago is the icing on the cake

They are just making blatantly partisan call after call.

I suggest a complete new football league to take over - based in south australia - one voting commisioner from each state - all states get an equal voice in a league thats there to grow the game and represent every football fan in every state.

the new league will have signed nothing so the grand final will be up for rotation.

Don't the AFL own all the teams?

Would you follow the Perth Quokkas or some other new team since the new body would have to create entirely new teams?

Because i'm out if Richmond died and i'm sure many others would also if their team went by the wayside and there is your main problem with every interstate pipe dream about breakaway leagues and restructuring by killing off all the vic sides except for 4.

I do agree the Gil and co have made an absolute Hash of Covid but i'm yet to see an idea for restricting that won't result in a dead league within a decade

I love these threads........................... shows how transparent the inferiority complex is when it's not even warranted.
We are quite literally playing games in empty stadiums because victorian teams are a protected species.

i dont ever want to hear the gf should stay in melbourne as the mcg can hold 100000 people argument again.

It was a lie and is being shown up every single week we sit there watching teams play to noone

Would you follow the Perth Quokkas or some other new team since the new body would have to create entirely new teams?

Because i'm out if Richmond died and i'm sure many others would also if their team went by the wayside and there is your main problem with every interstate pipe dream about breakaway leagues and restructuring by killing off all the vic sides except for 4.

I do agree the Gil and co have made an absolute Hash of Covid but i'm yet to see an idea for restricting that won't result in a dead league within a decade

Members own the teams (cept maybe gc), HQ owns all the licences.

I think there's enough market outside vic for another league, obviously all vic fans would follow their clubs wherever they go. So going by that and given that currently vic is more than half the leagues market they'd likely stay where they are - a reborn VFL if you will.

Of course this is all just wish and speculation coz as you point out HQ own the licences, so they'd have to sell those licences to this other league. Before any of that happens the 18 clubs would firstly consult their members, then if those members voted in favour, then there'd have to be a 3/4 majority vote for these proposals to go ahead.

Doubt it would happen in the foreseeable future if it all.

We are quite literally playing games in empty stadiums because victorian teams are a protected species.

i dont ever want to hear the gf should stay in melbourne as the mcg can hold 100000 people argument again.

It was a lie and is being shown up every single week we sit there watching teams play to noone

You're talking about the now, this ain't gonna continue into every season in the future.

I know you don't wanna hear it but you'll read it, that argument will likely continue. Even though debating it on a footy forum will result in zero difference.

I do agree that we should move all vic clubs out of vic until things settle down from a covid perspective, given crowds will be allowed HQ could and should move them. It makes sense from a revenue perspective, might happen still.

Don't think HQ will be torn down and replaced though, and probably not needed for the sake of one season.

Id suggest the interstate teams would have to adopt a variation of their jumper - i reckon something like the dream time jumpers would be the go

the western wedge tails

the fremantle wharvies

The adelaide blackbirds

port adelaide magpies

Etc

I have no doubt after a while there would be a reconciliation at some point - its just that the utter domination of victoria over the afl to the detriment of the game needs to end.

The clubs hold a licence, the AFL issues the licence.
In WA the WAFC owns the licences, sub licences the clubs.

:thumbsu: Blood oath , picked it up at Dans with my Colonial Brewing slab.

Rough as a railway sleeper .... not for the faint of heart, the Carringbush might be marginal ... ;)

Nah I'm a VB man, smooth as a glass of rusty nails, quite popular over here btw. Found that surprising when I first settled all those years ago.

Oh and by the way, you're not allowed to say or type Colonial apparently - just buy it don't mention it.

Id suggest the interstate teams would have to adopt a variation of their jumper - i reckon something like the dream time jumpers would be the go

the western wedge tails

the fremantle wharvies

The adelaide blackbirds

port adelaide magpies

Etc

I have no doubt after a while there would be a reconciliation at some point - its just that the utter domination of victoria over the afl to the detriment of the game needs to end.

Curious, and serious question. You're suggesting new start up clubs? Would you leave wc for the wedge tails? Would you expect all other fans of those clubs would do the same?

Nah I'm a VB man, smooth as a glass of rusty nails, quite popular over here btw. Found that surprising when I first settled all those years ago.

Oh and by the way, you're not allowed to say or type Colonial apparently - just buy it don't mention it.

Give the Colonial a try, I'm a recent convert.

The AFL doesn't care what the average supporter thinks.

However, the AFL did borrow near $600m from the NAB. If the League bleeds red ink and the debt looks increasingly toxic, which seems very likely, then you can can guarantee the NAB will demand significant change. Remember, whoever controls the debt is really in control.

If you want change, then the continued mismanagement of the AFL is the best way for it to occur.

Back