The AFL should be brought down and replaced by a new governing body

Is it time for a new league that represents all football fans not just one state.

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Curious, and serious question. You're suggesting new start up clubs? Would you leave wc for the wedge tails? Would you expect all other fans of those clubs would do the same?
No im saying all the interstate clubs leave the afl - the afl own the names so wed have to get creative

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The AFL doesn't care what the average supporter thinks.

However, the AFL did borrow near $600m from the NAB. If the League bleeds red ink and the debt looks increasingly toxic, which seems very likely, then you can can guarantee the NAB will demand significant change. Remember, whoever controls the debt is really in control.

If you want change then the continued mismanagement of the AFL is the best way for it to occur.

The AFL has a secured a line of credit, haven't borrowed it, have used marvel stadium as the security. We don't know how much $ they've used.

The best way to get change is to turn your back on the league. If you don't invest in it then they don't get revenue.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Id suggest the interstate teams would have to adopt a variation of their jumper - i reckon something like the dream time jumpers would be the go

the western wedge tails

the fremantle wharvies

The adelaide blackbirds

port adelaide magpies

Etc

I have no doubt after a while there would be a reconciliation at some point - its just that the utter domination of victoria over the afl to the detriment of the game needs to end.

Blackbirds. A feral introduced species. I like it

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
No im saying all the interstate clubs leave the afl - the afl own the names so wed have to get creative

Well that would be up to the members:
  • Clubs would consult their members, probably gets the vote among non vic clubs members. If that's the general consensus among those members.
  • All the clubs would have to vote on the proposal - need a 3/4 majority vote to pass for the proposal go ahead.
  • Considering 10 of the 18 clubs are in vic, that would hinge on how the vic club members vote. Might work.
  • IF it would go ahead, the league would then surrender the licences for those clubs in the AFL.
  • Would need a capital outlay to start up this new league. Maybe someone like Forrest or Gina - not entirely out of the question.
Or the non vic clubs fans and members just turn their back on the current league. Hit em where it hurts, vote with your collective feet and remotes.

I dunno about that, there's enough market outside vic for another league IMO.

Would take serious financial backing, but I reckon the public interest is there.

West coast are the only ones making decent coin, fremantle and the 2 sa sides scrape by.

How do you propose a rebranded west coast support the swans, gws, gc, brisbane, nt and tassie?

Considering they will get bugger all for tv rights since the major market for viewing won't be involved.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
West coast are the only ones making decent coin, fremantle and the 2 sa sides scrape by.

How do you propose a rebranded west coast support the swans, gws, gc, brisbane, nt and tassie?

Considering they will get bugger all for tv rights since the major market for viewing won't be involved.

Like I said would take a major pony up of cash, but the public interest would be there. There's enough market outside vic.

Just coz the bulk of the market is in vic doesn't mean there's no revenue to be made outside of it.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Interstate sides account for just under 50% of the viewing numbers

which seeing that we are 44% of the afls teams.....

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Interstate sides account for just under 50% of the viewing numbers

which seeing that we are 44% of the afls teams.....

If those numbers are correct, (link?) then there's viability for another league IF all those fans collectively support it.

Or you could all collectively just turn your back on the current league, that's the best way to achieve the changes you want.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
If those numbers are correct, (link?) then there's viability for another league IF all those fans collectively support it.

Or you could all collectively just turn your back on the current league, that's the best way to achieve the changes you want.
Was in another thread posted by a vic club supporter - see if i can find it

So can you take a hit of 52%+ to tv revenue and support 10 or so teams where only 1 makes decent money 3 do ok and the rest are sponges?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Creativity is for setting a model ..... a coup is what is needed, taking most interested parties with you. In the VFL it was the Macedon meeting of 1984.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Its not just new names. You'd need entirely new teams, except in Perth. 5 of the 8 insterstate clubs are actively controlled by the AFL and will be for some time yet. I hope the Dockers and Eagles enjoy playing each other on their own in their new comp. Brisbane might go along i guess if you pay there 20m a year in funds needed to survive.

Well that would be up to the members:
  • Clubs would consult their members, probably gets the vote among non vic clubs members. If that's the general consensus among those members.
  • All the clubs would have to vote on the proposal - need a 3/4 majority vote to pass for the proposal go ahead.
  • Considering 10 of the 18 clubs are in vic, that would hinge on how the vic club members vote. Might work.
  • IF it would go ahead, the league would then surrender the licences for those clubs in the AFL.
  • Would need a capital outlay to start up this new league. Maybe someone like Forrest or Gina - not entirely out of the question.
Or the non vic clubs fans and members just turn their back on the current league. Hit em where it hurts, vote with your collective feet and remotes.

See my first reply. Of the non victorian clubs, 5 have the AFL as the majority or controlling member and the members of those clubs have little to no control over them. You dont have enough after that to get the 75% your chasing - and the small Melbourne clubs wont touch it either.

The covid debacle is the last thrashings of a dying beast.

riiiight. Like COVID didnt affect almost every major sporting league in the world - including Cricket whose sport isnt even played at this time of the year. Everyone is making this up as they go along.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Creativity is for setting a model ..... a coup is what is needed, taking most interested parties with you. In the VFL it was the Macedon meeting of 1984.

Its worth noting that the VFL immediately introduced the franchise system after this which makes it almost impossible for teams to leave and maintain much of their heritage.

Its also worth noting that up until 1993 every new club including west coast and adelaide was represented on the VFL Board of Directors that actively voted in unison for the AFL Commission we ended up with. There are mechanisms to remove those directors should enough clubs choose.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

I've seen numbers from other posters as well. They all vary from 52% to over 60% for the vic market but no ones linked anything. Have seen a morgan poll posted and that suggest it's somewhere in between those two figures. But it's a morgan poll.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Its worth noting that the VFL immediately introduced the franchise system after this which makes it almost impossible for teams to leave and maintain much of their heritage.

Its also worth noting that up until 1993 every new club including west coast and adelaide was represented on the VFL Board of Directors that actively voted in unison for the AFL Commission we ended up with. There are mechanisms to remove those directors should enough clubs choose.
With ten clubs in victoria and 8 interstate its pretty doomed.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
See my first reply. Of the non victorian clubs, 5 have the AFL as the majority or controlling member and the members of those clubs have little to no control over them. You dont have enough after that to get the 75% your chasing - and the small Melbourne clubs wont touch it either.

Then it's either a rogue breakaway league with a corp or individual to pony up the start up cash or the non vic fans and members collectively turn their back on the current league.

Blew my viability theory out of the water there Wookie.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Its not just new names. You'd need entirely new teams, except in Perth. 5 of the 8 insterstate clubs are actively controlled by the AFL and will be for some time yet. I hope the Dockers and Eagles enjoy playing each other on their own in their new comp. Brisbane might go along i guess if you pay there 20m a year in funds needed to survive.

riiiight. Like COVID didnt affect almost every major sporting league in the world - including Cricket whose sport isnt even played at this time of the year. Everyone is making this up as they go along.
Yes indeed.

cricket has a plan to move the boxing day test to perth

soccer has removed all games from victoria

nrl has ordered melbourne storm into a hub outside vic indefinitely.

Its just the vfl - dragging their feet...

Back