The AFL should be brought down and replaced by a new governing body

Is it time for a new league that represents all football fans not just one state.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL Commision rules the AFL. The most powerful position, the Chairman, is a Western Australian. The next most powerful, the CEO, is from South Australia.

The ten commissioners which control e AFL are comprised of -

3 from Western Australia (including the Chairman)
3 from Victoria
2 from NSW
1 from ACT
1 from South Australia (the CEO).

This makes a mockery of the (so called) poll question and the inherent bias of the question makes any result worthless.

Sorry about inserting some inconvenient facts into this mostly fact free thread.
Yeah and Brian Taylor refers to himself as West Australian despite not living here for 40 years...

Burn AFL House to the ground!

What about these guys instead?

th

Cooky as dapper as ever, Frank hasnt aged well.

It is quite a dictatorship which stems back from the VFL days when Brisbane and WCE joined the comp in 1987. All the AFL wanted was licence fee money from the new franchises, there was no thought of a level playing field as far as fixturing, playing finals at home when you finished above a Victorian team as was the case with WCE in 1991.

Adelaide had similar struggles but like WC had a solid fan base to prop them up financially. Freo received their licence the year the WC just won their 2nd premierships so were only aloud to have the pick of each other clubs 2 delistings. The new club ended up fielding a side with mostly Claremont WAFL players. In desperation to try and field a more competitive side in their first few years they made some silly trading / drafting errors which exacerbated the issues.

While Freo were $8m in debt and called a basket case by the AFL CEO they had no financial benefits from the AFL, quite the contrary. All the while the AFL have been throwing money and priority picks at North, Carlton, Bulldogs and Melbourne.

I vote yes.

Lol Freo have had priority picks. Even under a new governing body, your mob would likely still be rubbish:)

Nah it would clearly need a bankroll to start it up like superleague

amazon prime have indicated they would like to get into sports broadcasting

Based off Amazon’s ventures into live sport so far they would be interested in getting an exclusive time slot of a game each week—— not bankroll an entire sporting competition.

Based off Amazon’s ventures into live sport so far they would be interested in getting an exclusive time slot of a game each week—— not bankroll an entire sporting competition.

<<<Amazon has pulled out all the stops to make its $40m (£34m) bet on the UK rights to the US Open – setting up a studio at Flushing Meadows and drafting in former players including Jim Courier, Greg Rusedski, Annabel Croft and Mark Petchey, as the company looks to prove it can match traditional broadcasters and become a credible home for live sport >>>

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...soccer-foray-in-premier-league-streaming-push

There was an article in 2017 stating that amazon wanted to grow its on demand video service by aggressively taking over sports pay tv deals.

<<<Amazon has pulled out all the stops to make its $40m (£34m) bet on the UK rights to the US Open – setting up a studio at Flushing Meadows and drafting in former players including Jim Courier, Greg Rusedski, Annabel Croft and Mark Petchey, as the company looks to prove it can match traditional broadcasters and become a credible home for live sport >>>

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...soccer-foray-in-premier-league-streaming-push

There was an article in 2017 stating that amazon wanted to grow its on demand video service by aggressively taking over sports pay tv deals.

Amazon hosted a few rounds of EPL :rolleyes:

I think that's a bit closer to my comment that they are looking at exclusive timeslots /games rather than funding an entire new league in a country that isn't even a priority country for Amazon.

I think that's a bit closer to my comment that they are looking at exclusive timeslots /games rather than funding an entire new league in a country that isn't even a priority country for Amazon.

Amazon.com Inc. bought a package of live broadcasting rights for English Premier League soccer, the first foray by a U.S. tech giant into Europe’s most lucrative sports league.
Amazon will show two full rounds of matches per season, comprising 20 games, for three years starting in 2019, the Premier League said in a statement Thursday. The games will be available on Amazon Prime Video in the U.K. at no extra cost to users, Amazon said.

Amazon.com Inc. bought a package of live broadcasting rights for English Premier League soccer, the first foray by a U.S. tech giant into Europe’s most lucrative sports league.
Amazon will show two full rounds of matches per season, comprising 20 games, for three years starting in 2019, the Premier League said in a statement Thursday. The games will be available on Amazon Prime Video in the U.K. at no extra cost to users, Amazon said.

I read the article & agree that's what Amazon is doing.

It's very different than suggesting that Amazon would be prepared to be the financial backer for a break-away AFL competition like you're trying to imply.

They’ve certainly got the cash and the platforms, so it should come as no surprise that rumours the tech giants are eyeing the rights to the AFL are picking-up a head of steam.

According to reports in today’s The Australian Mediasection, AFL boss Gil McLachlan has privately told the code’s top club bosses that he had been approached by (as yet unnamed) global internet and streaming giants that were keen to fork out big bucks to secure the game’s rights.

However, with the current deal in place, any new deal wouldn’t happen until the 2023 season.

Presently, Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra have the rights after the trio forked out a whopping $2.5 billion in 2015 for them from 2017 up until the end of the 2022 season.

The likes of Amazon Prime and Facebook have spent billions to secure other sports rights around the globe and it’s assumed they’d be the two most likely to make a play.

Other suitors could be ESPN or CBS, who owns Channel 10.

That’s not to say the current holders wouldn’t give-up without a fight either, with Seven, in particular, arguably having the most to lose if it were to relinquish its flagship property.

The problem facing Seven, Foxtel and Telstra is they either shell-out big bikkies now to retain the rights beyond the current deal or wait for the overseas tech giants to play their hands.

Another option would be for 10, desperate for some live sport, to enter into some sort of share deal with Seven and Foxtel.

As one AFL source told The Oz: “The networks know the streaming services are going to be a player in the next deal – so should the local TV players lock it in before the global giants come along?”

They’ve certainly got the cash and the platforms, so it should come as no surprise that rumours the tech giants are eyeing the rights to the AFL are picking-up a head of steam.

According to reports in today’s The Australian Mediasection, AFL boss Gil McLachlan has privately told the code’s top club bosses that he had been approached by (as yet unnamed) global internet and streaming giants that were keen to fork out big bucks to secure the game’s rights.

However, with the current deal in place, any new deal wouldn’t happen until the 2023 season.

Presently, Channel Seven, Foxtel and Telstra have the rights after the trio forked out a whopping $2.5 billion in 2015 for them from 2017 up until the end of the 2022 season.

The likes of Amazon Prime and Facebook have spent billions to secure other sports rights around the globe and it’s assumed they’d be the two most likely to make a play.

Other suitors could be ESPN or CBS, who owns Channel 10.

That’s not to say the current holders wouldn’t give-up without a fight either, with Seven, in particular, arguably having the most to lose if it were to relinquish its flagship property.

The problem facing Seven, Foxtel and Telstra is they either shell-out big bikkies now to retain the rights beyond the current deal or wait for the overseas tech giants to play their hands.

Another option would be for 10, desperate for some live sport, to enter into some sort of share deal with Seven and Foxtel.

As one AFL source told The Oz: “The networks know the streaming services are going to be a player in the next deal – so should the local TV players lock it in before the global giants come along?”

Why would Aus be attractive for the streaming giants? Advertising will be under pressure in the immediate future.
That Foxtel & the AFL did not reach agreement as the NRL did, demonstrates something is not kosher.

What is the future of FTA? I see Mr Stokes investing in Boral not Seven.

Victoria produces quite a large proportion of the league’s talent though. If every state all produced as much talent as Victoria, then no problem. However, there are non-Victorian clubs that not only have, but rely on Victorian talent to compete.

Victoria produces quite a large proportion of the league’s talent though. If every state all produced as much talent as Victoria, then no problem. However, there are non-Victorian clubs that not only have, but rely on Victorian talent to compete.
Money is an awesome persuader

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast has 15 fathers on their list, and yet every single available player entered QLD.

The only thing they were concerned about was having a date to return, and understanding of the quarantine requirements once they arrived back in WA.

Yet, everyone thought it was ok to stick the boot in to West Coast.

How pathetic from Trent Cotchin and the Richmond players, if this is true.

Well im pretty sure we know exactly why the afl has been dragging its feet now dont we.

Literally every single interstate team has to sacrifice because the cic players said no.

Money is an awesome persuader

.... wouldn’t that motivator just keep more players in the established league (even if it’s just Victorian clubs)??

Because the money is more reliable than a speculative league

Well assuming the league has a backer such as amazon with deep pockets.

Amazon isn’t interested in creating a new league in Australia mate....

As I’ve said repeatedly they may be interested in buying selected games to air on Prime, but have no interest in spending hundreds of millions on a league in a country where they barely have a market presence.

Amazon isn’t interested in creating a new league in Australia mate....

As I’ve said repeatedly they may be interested in buying selected games to air on Prime, but have no interest in spending hundreds of millions on a league in a country where they barely have a market presence.
I quite literally posted an article suggesting they are - but hey ignore that. Their interest in sport is to increase their market share - same as what foxtel do. Quite literally no better way of improving subscription rates.

<<<However the largest increase was for Amazon Prime Video which more than doubled its user base over the last year by 116.7% to over 570,000.>>>

We don't need a new league, but I think it's a good idea for the sport's governing body to be separate from the biggest league's administration.

I quite literally posted an article suggesting they are - but hey ignore that. Their interest in sport is to increase their market share - same as what foxtel do. Quite literally no better way of improving subscription rates.

<<<However the largest increase was for Amazon Prime Video which more than doubled its user base over the last year by 116.7% to over 570,000.>>>

Where does that article suggest that Amazon wants to start its own league?

I must be reading a different article.

Well assuming the league has a backer such as amazon with deep pockets.

This is a theoretical discussion about something that at the moment is unlikely to happen.

we arent dicussing something imminent.

So the analysis you’re taking from the article you posted is completely theoretical and not based on what the article actually said?

So the premise of the thread is really a wish and speculative.

The only way a break away can form is if a corp or individual ponies up the cash

Spot on, and most of the money comes from.................
If uou arr forming a breakaway league you would - like superleague did - offer more money.

Back