The AFL should be brought down and replaced by a new governing body

Is it time for a new league that represents all football fans not just one state.

• Total voters
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know of any adult 18-a-side competitions that didn't adopt the 50m penalty.

Wiki:
Some (particularly amateur) leagues and competitions use a 25-metre penalty. Examples of this include the South Australian National Football League (SANFL), Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA), Australian Football International Cup and the Australian Amateur Football Council.

That is a law change made by the SANFL. It was taken up in part by the AFLW.
A lot of overseas leagues have modified boundary laws.

Point is, its not dictated by the AFL.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
If you are affiliated with the AFL then there is huge pressure to conform to AFL ways.
i would argue that the AFLW is "dictated" to by the AFL and indeed depends on the AFL.

do you only read one part of a sentence? theres others. The AFLW is an exception in point as its an arm of the AFL. Affiliation comes with some obligations yes, but not a requirement to implement game play rules that im aware of

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
As usual kranky al has it all wrong, i dont mind the AFL running the AFL, however they should not be running Australian Football, they should not be the self imposed keeper of the code, there should be a clear independent body who considers rule changes and where funding goes for grass roots AF that benefits football not the AFL.

ATM it is one and the same.
Agree 100%

How about we have the VFL back and the other clubs can do whatever they want. Enough markets for both.

I love these threads.

The absolute delusion of the OP and his fellow travelers is prime quality humour.

You're right though, let the 'we hate the Vics crew' have their way, and Vic clubs can just split off and have their own comp.

Of course, 10-20 years later, they'll be begging to join the Vic comp...again.

This time I think we need to have them sign a very public document as a condition of entry outlining a few basic points, like the GF location, and the fact that teams situated in the most isolated City in the world might need to spend more time on a plane than other teams. Every time they whinge, just trot out the document and point to the signatures.

After they've all done that, those that wont be a financial burden can pay to form the second division of the VFL.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
While I agree that the 'whinge' is constant and regardless of how much of the 'reasons' for dismay will / have be / been explained - it will continue.

And while I'd like a VFL comp and other state comps so everyone's happy, I've come to realise if that was the case not everyone's happy. IF it were the case then the non vic public would be unhappy coz the leagues they follow would not be the highest profile, it'd be the VFL,like it was before the expansion.

Right now they're unhappy coz well we've been over it a thousand times as to why.

So I guess if you're a non vic and if that's how you view it, it's a lose lose, you can't have what you want. And that is they don't want vic to be the profile centre of AF which it is.

Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

While I agree that the 'whinge' is constant and regardless of how much of the 'reasons' for dismay will / have be / been explained - it will continue.

And while I'd like a VFL comp and other state comps so everyone's happy, I've come to realise if that was the case not everyone's happy. IF it were the case then the non vic public would be unhappy coz the leagues they follow would not be the highest profile, it'd be the VFL,like it was before the expansion.

Right now they're unhappy coz well we've been over it a thousand times as to why.

So I guess if you're a non vic and if that's how you view it, it's a lose lose, you can't have what you want. And that is they don't want vic to be the profile centre of AF which it is.

Oh well, it is what it is I guess.

I know. You'd almost think Vic was over 50% of the market or something.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I know. You'd almost think Vic was over 50% of the market or something.

And that's the gripe not accepted, so then any and every argument is brought up about inequity and the fact that it is 'deliberate'.

Yes it is deliberate, for the purposes of revenue, not from an emotive perspective.............. not that I need to tell you though.

And that's the gripe not accepted, so then any and every argument is brought up about inequity and the fact that it is 'deliberate'.

Yes it is deliberate, for the purposes of revenue, not from an emotive perspective.............. not that I need to tell you though.

Exactly.

States can't and wont be treated as equal because...*drumroll*....They're NOT.

I particularly enjoyed the OP's suggestion that the board of his new comp should have 1 member from each state...Yeah, because Tas and Vic are exactly equal in respect to what they put into (and take from) the game and thus should have equal say in how things are run.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Exactly.

States can't and wont be treated as equal because...*drumroll*....They're NOT.

I particularly enjoyed the OP's suggestion that the board of his new comp should have 1 member from each state...Yeah, because Tas and Vic are exactly equal in respect to what they put into (and take from) the game and thus should have equal say in how things are run.

There was somewhere in this thread that mentioned the breakdown of the board at HQ and for memory it was a pretty even representation from all states (you or The_Wookie ).

Look I know you're enjoying others frustration / misery............... I'm probably not so cruel- however as much as I point out the obvious reasons for the gripes, it doesn't sink in. So,,,,,,,,,,,,, they can either accept or don't not fussed.

There was somewhere in this thread that mentioned the breakdown of the board at HQ and for memory it was a pretty even representation from all states (you or The_Wookie ).

Look I know you're enjoying others frustration / misery............... I'm probably not so cruel- however as much as I point out the obvious reasons for the gripes, it doesn't sink in. So,,,,,,,,,,,,, they can either accept or don't not fussed.

Not so much cruel as just not willing to let lies be accepted as truth because they keeps getting repeated.

That statement sums up the reason behind 90% of my posts on this board.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Personally I'm bored with your narcissistic fantasy-land renditions.

So you're bored with the reality of things? Or you're bored with my explaining it?

Fantasy, um nope, rendition is related to music - so nope nothing there, narcissistic- how do you possibly gauge that I'm a narcissist from a couple of posts? You do know the definition right?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Not so much cruel as just not willing to let lies be accepted as truth because they keeps getting repeated.

That statement sums up the reason behind 90% of my posts on this board.

Not sure why you're concerned...................... truth is truth and no amount of lying can change fact.

Back