Opinion The AFL should introduce a loaning system that allows team to loan players to other clubs for a period of time

Remove this Banner Ad

TurnoverMerchant

Vanilla Campaigner
Jul 11, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
In European football, this system works well and allows teams to let players develop elsewhere while they focus on other players/goals. I find it would also benefit financially for smaller clubs as it would provide extra money for them to spend, while also helping boost their player development. It would benefit the clubs that get loan players by having a buy clause (once the loan finishes, the club has an option to buy the player). What do you guys think?

Terrible idea. And why would we want to emulate European football leagues which have the same 3-4 clubs win the title every year.
I see the point, but if they regulate this properly and don't allow the bigger clubs to abuse it, then it could work.

In European football, this system works well and allows teams to let players develop elsewhere while they focus on other players/goals. I find it would also benefit financially for smaller clubs as it would provide extra money for them to spend, while also helping boost their player development. It would benefit the clubs that get loan players by having a buy clause (once the loan finishes, the club has an option to buy the player). What do you guys think?

You can't buy a player, you can wait until he is out of contract and then offer him one. You can trade for him sure, but you can trade regardless of being loaned or not.

Why the hell would you pump games into some other team's player and leave yours languishing in the 2s? On the off chance the player might stay with you?

European football doesn't have drafts etc that completely negate the need to loan. The only logical and practical loaning was through club affiliations but now teams have their own 2s it makes the whole idea redundant.

Why the hell would you pump games into some other team's player and leave yours languishing in the 2s? On the off chance the player might stay with you?
Yeah I didn't really think this idea through. I absolutely agree now seeing that it wouldn't work because of the draft. It's fun to hypothesize about these things though.

A WAFL side could use Pittard, good idea.

But seriously, the loan system works in soccer due to the abundance of leagues and divisions. There is one professional competition in Australian Rules, absolutely moronic idea.

It works in Euro football because you can easily loan players to different leagues or to teams who have zero chance of ever competing against you. Obviously would never work in AFL footy because theres only 1 league.

Not totally against it but not sure how it works with the salary cap. Does the club loaning the player pay the wage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. What’s the point of building and managing a list then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back