The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
South Melbourne
Fitzroy
Port Melbourne
Williamstown

But seriously.... maybe

Tasmania
Perth
ACT
Norwood or Gosford or Newcastle

I can also see some Melbourne teams having a relocation or partial relocation to places like Ballarat & Bendigo. Especially suited to if and when that fast train is up and running. Probably in August 2085. Bookmark it.
Riverena team incoming in that case.

kranger

Senior List
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan District
So my thinking is that currently there needs to be less teams not more, but thats a whole other discussion. So if there were to be four new teams, and none should be relocations they should be:

1: Newcastle; the current largest Australian city without a team. And has the Hunter Valley around.

2: Tasmania; Hobart is just as big as Geelong. And Tasmania would have as many people behind one team, as the ten Victorian teams have when dividing Melbourne/Geelongs population each. Games would be split with two thirds in Hobart and one third in Launceston.

3. Northern Australia; based in Darwin, with one game a year played in each of Alice Springs, Cairns, Townsville and Karratha, with all others in Darwin.

4. Nowhere else. But if it had to be pushed, either a third Perth team; Canberra properly with GWS focusing on Sydney; or Chatswood to focus on northern Sydney.

Last edited:

oak79

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
WA3, especially after seeing the new stadium.
Canberra
Tas
NT

If the comp is to be national, this is the way to go. Can't see a new team either than a 3rd WA team being added for at least 10 years though.
This, but maybe swap NT for NZ.

Really it's hard enough to win a premiership with 18 teams - now 22??. You'd have to have legitible conferences, with conference champions to at least have more to play for.

Id actually prefer to see a super league style comp set up with Less teams, more money for the stars, real h/a fixture. AFL needs to stop acting as if they own the sport.

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL looking for financial growth will probably go
Perth
North Shore
Sunshine Coast/North Queensland
NZ

While it seems like Tasmania is inevitable I am not sure if it will ever get a side as economically it doesn’t grow the game

NoobPie

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
The AFL looking for financial growth will probably go
Perth
North Shore
Sunshine Coast/North Queensland
NZ

While it seems like Tasmania is inevitable I am not sure if it will ever get a side as economically it doesn’t grow the game
It would be sunshine coast (unlikely) before north Queensland and Newcastle before north shore I suspect.

Swans have a strong presence on the north shore already they wouldnt want cut in to

Seedsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
It would be sunshine coast (unlikely) before north Queensland and Newcastle before north shore I suspect.

Swans have a strong presence on the north shore already they wouldnt want cut in to
I would suspect North shore is more likely Manly is in the gun with the NRL. If they go the North Sydney Bears have gone it opens up a big area that has no pro team. Also I have stated in a different thread I would see a North Shore team developing a secondary market in Newcastle.

Newy is to small and to rusty on to league to support a team on its own. The Knights almost died and they are the only team in a RL strong hold

Top Bottom