The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Freo Quokkas

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2016
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Where should the AFL expand to next?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www...1/18/where-should-the-afl-expand-to-next/amp/

# Tasmania - Devils
(Home matches played at Hobart and Launceston - take turns every 2nd home match).

# A 3rd Perth Club - Numbats/Quokkas/Porpoises/Dolphins/Sharks/Whales/Stingrays/Dugongs/Prospectors/Spirit/Predators/Quolls/Penguins/Pigeons.

# South West Sydney .......

# Canberra/ACT - Goannas?

# Northern Territory - Thunder/Dingoes/Crocodiles
(Home matches played at Darwin and Alice Springs).

# North Queensland - Bush Pigs (Boars), Crocodiles, Frogs, Toads?
(Home matches played at Cairns and Townsville).

# New Zealand - Rams?
(Home matches played at Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch).

#All Indigenous Australians - (Home matches played at Darwin, Alice Springs and Adelaide).

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Rochester FC, Waroona FC, Pacers
Perth - a generic Perth team that's unattached to WAFL clubs. That ship has sailed a long time ago. Gives the new stadium two games a week and lots of local Derbies.

Tasmania - Split the games between Launceston and Hobart.

Canberra - already have a stadium and lots of ex-pat supporters.

NT - Split games between Darwin and Alice Springs. Difficult to do, but along with Canberra, rounds out the competition as every state/territory has a team now.

twiggy4PM

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Tassie
Canberra
Joondalup/North Perth
NZ/ Ballarat/ Albury-Wodonga

Not enough interest in Queensland. Adelaide too small, NSW too disinterested.
You would probably need to relocate a couple of Melbourne teams and have 20 teams. Not enough talent for 22.

Oct 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sixers, Exers, GWS Womens
NT Thunder

Tasmanian Devils

Perth Panthers

Antarctic Sea Lions
Don’t know about a 22nd team. Don’t think there’s a well enough developed place to hold another team.

NSW doesn’t care about AFL. Giants need to get going first before they add another team.

Queensland cares even less.

Perth now have 3 teams

NT & Tassie are covered.

Think another Adelaide team wouldn’t go astray

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I honestly think atm Saints are most likely to be relocated, especially if they have a few more lean years

Why do people want to export suburban Melbourne clubs everywhere? They never nominate their own club.

We know 10 is too many for the Port Philip bay area. Let the failing clubs play locally, like Fitzroy do.

WA3 & Tas1:)

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Why do people want to export suburban Melbourne clubs everywhere? They never nominate their own club.

We know 10 is too many for the Port Philip bay area. Let the failing clubs play locally, like Fitzroy do.

WA3 & Tas1:)
Not necessarily saying that I "want" to export the suburban clubs, I'm just trying to look at things realistically. St Kilda haven't experienced much success in there long history, being based in a suburb with a population of around 20,000 will limit growth (unless success were to come around), and financially they have been ordered by AFL house to get themselves in check currently owing 10 mil in debt.

As for not nominating my own club, sure the Lions aren't a massive power house in the AFL as of now but what they do offer is for the chance for expansion and development for the game in Queensland as did (and still do) each of the 2 teams in the states outside of Victoria

Not necessarily saying that I "want" to export the suburban clubs, I'm just trying to look at things realistically. St Kilda haven't experienced much success in there long history, being based in a suburb with a population of around 20,000 will limit growth (unless success were to come around), and financially they have been ordered by AFL house to get themselves in check currently owing 10 mil in debt.

As for not nominating my own club, sure the Lions aren't a massive power house in the AFL as of now but what they do offer is for the chance for expansion and development for the game in Queensland as did (and still do) each of the 2 teams in the states outside of Victoria
Because AFL team growth in Melbourne is limited to the physical suburb that they're named after somehow? o_O

If anything the point about potential for growth surely works in the Saints' favour because in many ways be the representative team for the entire Bayside region and perhaps extending out to the SE suburbs

Apr 9, 2003
Skinner Reserve
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

The club has had nothing to do with the suburb of St Kilda for over 50 years since they left the Junction Oval in 1965 for Moorabbin which is 12kms south.

I live in East St Kilda and they don't have noticeably greater support here than other clubs.

Most of their support is well south of St Kilda - think of Shane Warne - he is a typical supporter from the Bayside area (Black Rock in fact).

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/in...s/news-story/4ceb4875ecacd1b3b04eade7b2dc620b

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood

Sorry, I meant it generally. Their's been lots of posts over the journey where people nominate clubs like NM & StK to be 'exported'. It comes from people who follow other clubs. Clearly their are too many clubs in the one area for the best health of the competition.

The answer is for one or two of them to play in their local community level football, not in a national competition. Like Fitzroy for instance.

The fact their are only 2 clubs in Perth, but 2 each in Sydney & SEQ is rubbish. Its a total imbalance.

The WA & SA clubs pay to support local football in their states. The AFL reap the media deal $millions, including the WA & SA market component & use it to support clubs & football in Vic, NSW & Qld.

If they sensibly rationalised the 'home front', the league would be much better placed to help the struggling junior, rural & regional parts of 'our' great game.

WA3, Tas1. :)

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Sorry, I meant it generally. Their's been lots of posts over the journey where people nominate clubs like NM & StK to be 'exported'. It comes from people who follow other clubs. Clearly their are too many clubs in the one area for the best health of the competition.

The answer is for one or two of them to play in their local community level football, not in a national competition. Like Fitzroy for instance.

The fact their are only 2 clubs in Perth, but 2 each in Sydney & SEQ is rubbish. Its a total imbalance.

The WA & SA clubs pay to support local football in their states. The AFL reap the media deal $millions, including the WA & SA market component & use it to support clubs & football in Vic, NSW & Qld.

If they sensibly rationalised the 'home front', the league would be much better placed to help the struggling junior, rural & regional parts of 'our' great game.

WA3, Tas1. :)
Fair point on all fronts there. Absolutely agree with that WA and SA do deserve more teams then the non-heartland areas especially with the new Optus Stadium in Perth, however, I feel 2 healthy clubs is the right amount for South Australia for a while only due to their population. In my ideal competition where Aussie Rules is the dominant sport in each state the spread of teams I would have would be:

6 Vic (5 Melbourne, 1 Geelong)
4 NSW
3 WA
3 QLD
2 SA
1 TAS
1 ACT

With the possibility for expansion into NZ and NT if population and interest were to ever grow to high enough levels. However, with the current setup just being an expanded VFL this even, healthy spread is never going to happen due to the history and familiarity fans have with all of the clubs

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Fair point on all fronts there. Absolutely agree with that WA and SA do deserve more teams then the non-heartland areas especially with the new Optus Stadium in Perth, however, I feel 2 healthy clubs is the right amount for South Australia for a while only due to their population. In my ideal competition where Aussie Rules is the dominant sport in each state the spread of teams I would have would be:

6 Vic (5 Melbourne, 1 Geelong)
4 NSW
3 WA
3 QLD
2 SA
1 TAS
1 ACT

With the possibility for expansion into NZ and NT if population and interest were to ever grow to high enough levels. However, with the current setup just being an expanded VFL this even, healthy spread is never going to happen due to the history and familiarity fans have with all of the clubs

Given the current situation that AR is not the dominant sport in 2 states & 1 territory, & some anchoring in the historic reality, then perhaps-

8 Vic
3 WA
2 SA
2 NSW
2 SEQ
1 Tas

Then one could add 2 of,
1 ACT & surrounds?
1 SWSyd?
1 NT/NQ combined?

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Just have 7 teams.

Beast mode.

Australian Football League.

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northen Territory
South Australia
Tasmania
Victoria
Western Australia

Best of the best from that state play.

No trades to other states.

Not good enough bad luck.

U14
U16
U18
Reserves

100k stadiums in city of each state.

Season goes from Feb - Nov

All play each other 4 or so times.

Grand Finals are rotated by schedule (like Champions League) years ahead of time so everyone knows where it will be.

Old AFL system scrapped. Museums made to remember glory days.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Just have 7 teams.

Beast mode.

Australian Football League.

Australian Capital Territory
New South Wales
Northen Territory
South Australia
Tasmania
Victoria
Western Australia

Best of the best from that state play.

No trades to other states.

Not good enough bad luck.

U14
U16
U18
Reserves

100k stadiums in city of each state.

Season goes from Feb - Nov

All play each other 4 or so times.

Grand Finals are rotated by schedule (like Champions League) years ahead of time so everyone knows where it will be.

Old AFL system scrapped. Museums made to remember glory days.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
In before someone else points out the obvious - the ACT and NT are not states. Also the larger states, particularly the Aussie Rules states, would just dominate that competition.

Tasmania
South Sydney
Newcastle
Auckland
I just spewed in my mouth

I still reckon a Tassie team will never work. Find me 40 blokes willing to spend their entire 20s in Hobart while clubs in the big cities/their home states are throwing big dollars at the better players and I'll believe it.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Two that I would include right now:
Tasmania
Australian Indigenous. I know that is not politically correct but I reckon it would be popular. Might be everybody's 2nd favourite team. It would need a lot of support from the AFL though, but hell, how much support has a team from Western Sydney already received.

Tasmania
Australian Indigenous. I know that is not politically correct but I reckon it would be popular. Might be everybody's 2nd favourite team. It would need a lot of support from the AFL though, but hell, how much support has a team from Western Sydney already received.
We couldn't even send an indigenous team to the International Rules Series without them getting crucified by the media/public (and then demolished by Ireland), it would not be popular.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Tasmania
Considering how the NSL went with teams based around 1 group of people i doubt they would even consider it for a national competition.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back