The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yes but I also don’t think those people are going to watch an extra game a week just because there is another game on the exact same time as there is already one played currently.
The point is you're growing the total number of people watching due to having more markets and more fanbases involved. You can claim Tasmania is irrelevant but the point is that different companies can advertise to the Tasmanian market, allowing for greater revenue capture.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
The point is you're growing the total number of people watching due to having more markets and more fanbases involved. You can claim Tasmania is irrelevant but the point is that different companies can advertise to the Tasmanian market, allowing for greater revenue capture.
These people already watch football though. Even if a market like Tasmania get another 100% more people watching their game than what they normally would at that time it probably works out to be about 50,000 extra. That’s a growth of 1% in total viewers for the season from adding that market. The numbers will not stack up imo. Also 50,000 viewers in Sydney is probably worth 200,000 for Tasmania in advertising revenue.

Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Without reading the thread, I'm gonna throw my hat in

Tasmanian Devils
Darwin Crocodiles
Albany Roosters (West Australia)
Canberra Chargers

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
These people already watch football though. Even if a market like Tasmania get another 100% more people watching their game than what they normally would at that time it probably works out to be about 50,000 extra. That’s a growth of 1% in total viewers for the season from adding that market. The numbers will not stack up imo. Also 50,000 viewers in Sydney is probably worth 200,000 for Tasmania in advertising revenue.
Why are fans concerned with money so much? They don't share in any of it. Tasmania deserve a team simply based on it being a heartland area. Bugger TV ratings & market shares.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Why are fans concerned with money so much? They don't share in any of it. Tasmania deserve a team simply based on it being a heartland area. Bugger TV ratings & market shares.
Do they “deserve” it if they can’t afford it and they can’t even get close to producing an AFL level list from the state. They would actually be a drain on talent from other football states.
Personally I 100% think they should get a team by 2030 and don’t care about the money which is why I support the GC and GWS so hard. We all know that money would just be eaten up by the player, coaches and fat cats anyway. I was talking about how much value a tenth game a week was adding and how much 22 games rather than 11 adds to the AFL

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Central Crocodiles - 7 games Adelaide, 2 Alice, 2 Darwin
Perth Poufs
Tassie Teabags
Canberra Door kickers

Reduce teams to 16, 3 on the bench and a sub.
Reduce playing lists down to under 40 with further scope to add players in preseason/midseason
Reduce game time to 18 minute quarters and train umpires, score reviewers, boundary/goal to get the game moving as quick as possible and quarters under 24 minutes. Shorten breaks between quarters to get the game in as close to if not under 2 hours.

Perry Pie

All Australian
Sep 19, 2009
Liverpool
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Besiktas J.K.
Central Crocodiles - 7 games Adelaide, 2 Alice, 2 Darwin
Perth Poufs
Tassie Teabags
Canberra Door kickers

Reduce teams to 16, 3 on the bench and a sub.
Reduce playing lists down to under 40 with further scope to add players in preseason/midseason
Reduce game time to 18 minute quarters and train umpires, score reviewers, boundary/goal to get the game moving as quick as possible and quarters under 24 minutes. Shorten breaks between quarters to get the game in as close to if not under 2 hours.

Some real merit in the idea of reducing to 16 + 4. Shorter quarters & breaks too.

19 - Tassie
20 - Perth

21/22 wait or never. Potential for a distressed relocation at some time to Canberra-Albury, but that is about it.

An alternative is a relocation to Tassie with 19 & 20 being 2 Perth teams added at the same time. 2 games a week every week in Perth.

Tigger Please!

Koo Koo Ka-Choo
Oct 24, 2005
Bourgeois Bohemia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Wests Tigers
It'll never happen, but I'd love to see:

19. Tassie
20. Canberra
21. Darwin
22. Brisbane II

It'd take major subsidies for some of the club's based in the smaller markets but how good would it be??
A club based in every State and Territory with two in every major mainland capital city. A truly national premiership; fantastic!

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to be clear, does anyone with Tasmania on their list realise just how bad games are there?

Theyre shocking spectacles. AFL doesnt want to go there on a permanent basis or the ratings take a big hit.

I would think the 2 games they get per year at the moment is plenty of exposure.

As my 4 I would think only the first 2 are genuinely viable in the next 10 years:

1. WA.
2. SA.
3. Canberra
4. NT.

Just to be clear, does anyone with Tasmania on their list realise just how bad games are there?

Theyre shocking spectacles. AFL doesnt want to go there on a permanent basis or the ratings take a big hit.

I would think the 2 games they get per year at the moment is plenty of exposure.

As my 4 I would think only the first 2 are genuinely viable in the next 10 years:

1. WA.
2. SA.
3. Canberra
4. NT.
You know they get 8 games a year? Adding a Tassie team makes it increase by 3 more games. That's it. Also NT isn't feasible.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Is this a joke? As others have rightly said the depth of AFL is there for all to see. The population hardly supports 18 teams. That said I can see that in 50 years there will be 22 teams and some of them will consist of mainly Chinese and Indians on their lists. There will be more Aboriginals and Anglos will be a marginalised group. All commentators will be women the game will be played in 4 x 15 min qtrs there will be no body contact. The AFL will be run by an algorithm designed by Silicon Valley Nerds. Oh yeh it will be 14 a side and the minimum salary will be 10 million a year. The average height of a player will be 1.90 Metres and all will be able to run 100 metres in 10 seconds flat or will be too slow. Handball will have disappeared ( it did in the early part of century actually ) the game will be umpired by robots designed by Japanese Robotic companies aligned with the AFL algorithm. Goal umpires will be replaced by the latest nanolaser technology that provides instant scoring feedback.

Last edited:

Ignoring the fact that Tassie gets many more than 2 games per year, I'm not sure I'm following.

Are you saying that the quality of football played in Tasmania is for some reason much worse? or are you saying the stadiums are ill-equipped for broadcasting? Because the second one is fixable, but the first must be dark magic.

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
Tassie
Canberra
Northern (Darwin 3, Alice springs 2, Cairns 3, Townsville 3)
New Zealand or Perth 3rd

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would think long term, WA 3, Tasmania and Canberra are absolute certainties.

The 4th one is where It gets tricky. The AFL will hope a 4th nsw team is viable in South Sydney or Newcastle. If not you could look at Darwin if the population grows significantly over the next 20-30 years.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Tasmanian Devils - some might remember the Hobart Devils in the NBL, and Tigers is already taken. Would alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston.

Ballarat Diggers or Ballarat Nuggets: only has 100k but it's Victoria. I think Ballarat have 2 VFL sides as is? Only an hour from Melbourne.

Darwin or Territory Crocodiles: Darwin and Alice are a bit too far apart, but they could play there 4-5 times a year.

Canberra Senators: Australian Rules football really should have a franchise in our capital lol.

Other possibilities could include North Queensland, Newcastle, a third Perth and Adelaide franchise.

Tasmanian Devils - some might remember the Hobart Devils in the NBL, and Tigers is already taken. Would alternate home games between Hobart and Launceston.

Ballarat Diggers or Ballarat Nuggets: only has 100k but it's Victoria. I think Ballarat have 2 VFL sides as is? Only an hour from Melbourne.

Darwin or Territory Crocodiles: Darwin and Alice are a bit too far apart, but they could play there 4-5 times a year.

Canberra Senators: Australian Rules football really should have a franchise in our capital lol.

Other possibilities could include North Queensland, Newcastle, a third Perth and Adelaide franchise.
They have zero

I remember a North Ballarat team cos i saw a bit of a game on tv, but it seems their license has been revoked. Figured there'd be a Ballarat team too. Don't really follow VFL as you can tell lol.
They used to be a powerhouse 10 years back or so. Had a 3 peat with some very good players.

Pippen94

Cancelled
Jun 12, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I would think long term, WA 3, Tasmania and Canberra are absolute certainties.

The 4th one is where It gets tricky. The AFL will hope a 4th nsw team is viable in South Sydney or Newcastle. If not you could look at Darwin if the population grows significantly over the next 20-30 years.
What are the 3 NSW teams?

Back