The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Actually I completely forgot about a big problem with a 21 round (or for that matter, any odd numbered) season - it makes for an unequal number of home and away games, thus also providing another element of "unfairness", as well as providing problems for clubs with less home games than others selling their memberships. I think these reasons alone will kill off any odd numbered length season (not including byes obviously). I also think any draw will also continue to include 2 local derbies for the non-Victorian teams to mitigate the travel factor (which can be seen as another element of unfairness)

This year you play 11 home games, next year you play 10, the year after that is 11, the year after that again is 10.

Stop trying to offer up flimsy reasons to hose down the 21-round season.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
So every season will have clubs with differing home game numbers? Inherently unfair. The league and its clubs won't go for this - the clubs in particular won't like having to offer short changed membership packages every second year.

Yep, on the one hand, people complain about the unfair draw, and then as their solution, offer up something which has its own unfair aspect about it (or is completely unrealistic).

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
Canberra Senators
New Zealand Kiwis (we need more bird teams)
West Perth Falcons (once again we need more bird teams)
3rd Sydney team
3rd Queensland team
Newcastle team

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Tasmania Devils
Canberra Rams

Giants rebranded as "Sydney City Giants" (SCG) and play a majority of games at Giants Stadium but play high drawing games and finals at the SCG as their gradually growing fan base warrants playing at the larger venue.

WA3 is unnecessary.

20 team league is as large as I probably would like to see it go in my lifetime at least.

In the far flung future perhaps a side from NZ based in Auckland.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Tasmania Devils
Canberra Rams

Giants rebranded as "Sydney City Giants" (SCG) and play a majority of games at Giants Stadium but play high drawing games and finals at the SCG as their gradually growing fan base warrants playing at the larger venue.

WA3 is unnecessary.

20 team league is as large as I probably would like to see it go in my lifetime at least.

In the far flung future perhaps a side from NZ based in Auckland.
So you want us to go from Western Sydney to Sydney City, where the Swans home is....

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Unless there are plans to expand Giants Stadium in the medium future?
Giants will be forced to host the Swans at the SCG the next time they meet in a final.

There's a plan to go at a moment's notice to get it to 35k.

There is zero chance we will be moved to the SCG and as for the Sydney City idea. Wow.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
There's a plan to go at a moment's notice to get it to 35k.

There is zero chance we will be moved to the SCG and as for the Sydney City idea. Wow.

It's a silly idea.

Olympic Park will be serviced by a metro linking the city to Parramatta in a few years

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
NT Bulls
Tassie Devils
2x new WA sides.

Can anyone explain why they are picking NZ as a team? Don't quite understand why they need to piggyback off our leagues i.e. the A-league with wellington and the knights or the warriors in the NRL. Bloody create your own leagues NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
NT Bulls
Tassie Devils
2x new WA sides.

Can anyone explain why they are picking NZ as a team? Don't quite understand why they need to piggyback off our leagues i.e. the A-league with wellington and the knights or the warriors in the NRL. Bloody create your own leagues NZ.

Auckland has a decent enough of a population center that could theoretically hold a side in the far future if the interest/grass roots support was built over there for the Aussie game.

AFL would need to truly conquer NSW/QLD before looking into NZ for expansion. From Melbourne it's like traveling to Perth only going east.

This is something for way out in the future, say 30-50 years from now.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Auckland has a decent enough of a population center that could theoretically hold a side in the far future if the interest/grass roots support was built over there for the Aussie game.

AFL would need to truly conquer NSW/QLD before looking into NZ for expansion. From Melbourne it's like traveling to Perth only going east.

This is something for way out in the future, say 30-50 years from now.
Fair enough. I was more curious as to why NZ teams are in Australian leagues with the soccer and rugby, and who knows, maybe AFL in the future. I'm just not sure why they don't have their own leagues set up for their teams. Last time I looked into it, they don't seem to have any popular leagues or anything. They are all semi professional or non existent unless I'm an idiot and am missing all the information on their leagues.

It might sound like I have a problem with NZ, but I just have a problem with any team entering a nations league in which they don't exist.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Fair enough. I was more curious as to why NZ teams are in Australian leagues with the soccer and rugby, and who knows, maybe AFL in the future. I'm just not sure why they don't have their own leagues set up for their teams. Last time I looked into it, they don't seem to have any popular leagues or anything. They are all semi professional or non existent unless I'm an idiot and am missing all the information on their leagues.

It might sound like I have a problem with NZ, but I just have a problem with any team entering a nations league in which they don't exist.

Well they only have a population of 4.78 million, that's probably less than Sydney or close enough it doesn't matter.

Zac_Barker

Senior List
Jan 14, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
AFL Expansion idea teams by 2050
SA-Norwood Sturt Reds (Representing the SANFL Powerhouses of Sturt and Norwood in East and south Adelaide)
SA-Holdfast Seagulls (Based in the Adelaide Coastline mostly in Glenelg and will be called Holdfast because of the Council they are based in)
WA-Perth Pirates (A 3rd team in WA that will play in the City of Perth at the WACA)
WA-Joondalup Falcons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back