The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 19, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat
Where is North-South Melbourne located?
North of Melbourne? Or South of Melbourne?
Isn’t it less confusing to call them Central Melbourne?

It is the Northern part of South Melbourne

It won't be called Central Melbourne because the Central Melbourne bid was unsuccessful

1) Tasmania
2) Canberra
3) Liverpool (Sydney)
4) NQ (8 games Cairns, 2 Townsville, 1 Mackay)

I dont see any benefit in Adelaide or Perth. There's next to no growth potential.

Adelaide is more logical (2nd team draws ~80% capacity) but there's no realistic alternative. If you bring in Norwood (next largest team in Adelaide) you'd be lucky to see 20k outside of games vs Adelaide and Port. While gaining what? Probably nothing. Perth seemed the logical option for YEARS while at Subiaco as Freo started selling out about 10 years into their existence. Thing is. You can see today that they're tiny in comparison to West Coast. For every reason one has to suggest supporting a 3rd team, you could easily point them the way of the Dockers at the very same time. Quite a few empty seats at their games.....

- I went Tasmania due to it having substantial local support which will mean it's viable.
- I went Canberra as it has a large expat population there. It'd be similar to Gold Coast where it mightn't get alot of people going all in on them, but they'd get enough buying tickets and make them their second team
- I went Liverpool because Sydney will need a #3 team going forward, and Liverpool is about the right location for it. Sydney is covering the East (and North East) while GWS is getting the West (and North West) - Sooooooooooooooo much room for growth in the Southern Suburbs of Sydney. Problem with the true south is there's national parks there. So it needs to be South-West imo, I dont like going as far out as Campbelltown, so Liverpool/Glenside area is where it's at. But you gotta go Liverpool to hook any Liverpool soccer fans ;)
- This was the hard one, Very hard to choose between NT, NQ and SEQ3. As much as Brisbane 2/Sunshine Coast felt the greatest opportunity LONG term. I fear it'd be an unmitigated disaster short term. Certainly not worth the risk. And I do believe NT and NQ should both have a team. But I feel that NT would be more likely to take a relocated team than NQ (converting rugby fans over to a relocated team ALOT harder than converting them to a new team. Who'd want Melbourne's scraps?) So Even though NT is the safer short term option. I feel long term when we need to move a St Kilda or a North Melbourne or a Melbourne, it'd be easier to send them to NT. So NQ gets it for me.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Lets hope the AFL are got stupid enough to go to 22 teams!
The comp is still coming to terms with GWS and GC to add any more new teams!
Even if a Tasmanian team were admitted it the AFL they should just take over struggling North Melbourne club and be done with it! Tassie Kangaroos a has a nice ring to it.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets hope the AFL are got stupid enough to go to 22 teams!
The comp is still coming to terms with GWS and GC to add any more new teams!
Even if a Tasmanian team were admitted it the AFL they should just take over struggling North Melbourne club and be done with it! Tassie Kangaroos a has a nice ring to it.

It might have a nice ring for you.

Interesting on BF seeing how many Victorians want to export someone elses club.

It might have a nice ring for you.

Interesting on BF seeing how many Victorians want to export someone elses club.

Especially when the club being 'exported' is stronger than what they want to replace it with.

Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC
It is the Northern part of South Melbourne

It won't be called Central Melbourne because the Central Melbourne bid was unsuccessful

so South Melbourne North :p
But hold on! Swans could not get enough support in South Melbourne. Now you want to halve the suburb for a new team? That will go well...

Oct 19, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Heat
so South Melbourne North :p
But hold on! Swans could not get enough support in South Melbourne. Now you want to halve the suburb for a new team? That will go well...

Swans can't get anybody to support them in a city of millions

Why? Same problem they had in Melbourne, they cast a too wide a net

I believe a targeted area of a few square kilometres is grounds for success

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
20 teams is enough

Add Tas + Canberra

Gold Coast to rebrand as the Northern Suns and play home games out of Nth QLD and Darwin

Agree. I think 20 is the nice round number to strive for in the near/medium term.
Tasmania and Canberra sides would make the league truly national.

We are still far off from sides in NT, North QLD or NZ - decades away.

Final 8 is still fine with 9 finals, but $$$ to be had with a Final 10 if the AFL want to make it go 5 weeks for 13 finals.

Week 1
1st Qualifying Final - 3rd v 6th
1st Elimination Final - 7th v 10th
2nd Qualifying Final - 4th v 5th
2nd Elimination Final - 8th v 9th

Week 2
1st Quarter Final - 1st v Winner 1st Qualifying Final (ex. 1st v 3rd)
3rd Quarter Final - Loser 1st Qualifying Final v Winner 1st Elimination Final (ex. 6th v 7th)
2nd Quarter Final - 2nd v Winner 2nd Qualifying Final (ex. 2nd v 4th)
4th Quarter Final - Loser 2nd Qualifying Final v Winner 2nd Elimination Final (ex. 5th v 8th)

Week 3 (Crossover between opposite sides of the draw)
1st Semi Final - Loser 1st Quarter Final v Winner 4th Quarter Final (ex. 3rd v 5th)
2nd Semi Final - Loser 2nd Quarter Final v Winner 3rd Quarter Final (ex. 4th v 6th)

Week 4 (Another crossover between opposite sides of the draw, possible repeat match ups from Week 1 if there were upsets)
1st Preliminary Final - Winner 1st Quarter Final v Winner 2nd Semi Final (ex. 1st v 4th)
2nd Preliminary Final - Winner 2nd Quarter Final v Winner 1st Semi Final (ex. 2nd v 3rd)

Week 5
Grand Final (ex. 1st v 2nd)

Last edited:
Hobart Devils - Dark green base, red/yellow trim. Maybe like Freo's kit? - Playing 3-4 big games at Launceston ala Giants at Canberra.

Perth Royal Falcons - A joint venture from some WAFL teams. Not sure how it would go with local fans? https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/third-wa-based-afl-club.689452/

North Sydney Skippers - Sky blue base with grey trim. Boat themed with North Sydney v Hobart a season opener ;)

North Brisbane Lakers - Purple and Gold. Straight rip. Play 3-4 games at the Sunny Coast/Cairns.

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hobart Devils - Dark green base, red/yellow trim. Maybe like Freo's kit? - Playing 3-4 big games at Launceston ala Giants at Canberra.

Perth Royal Falcons - A joint venture from some WAFL teams. Not sure how it would go with local fans? https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/third-wa-based-afl-club.689452/

North Sydney Skippers - Sky blue base with grey trim. Boat themed with North Sydney v Hobart a season opener ;)

North Brisbane Lakers - Purple and Gold. Straight rip. Play 3-4 games at the Sunny Coast/Cairns.
Lakers will take them to court they did it to the NSL club who tried to use the name

Apr 22, 2009
In My House :)
AFL Club
Richmond
I just fell off my bed in Laughter the moment I saw your post. LOL.

Enjoy the grand final in 2040 As Richmond win their Prelim final and Await the winner in the other Prelim final between Broadmeadows and Collingwood. lol
Police would have a field day if Collingwood and Broadmeadows fans were in a Prelim.

1000 people arrested on the day. One tooth shared between them.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Police would have a field day if Collingwood and Broadmeadows fans were in a Prelim.

1000 people arrested on the day. One tooth shared between them.
No the media will have a field day.

The police will have the unenviable task of quelling a riot or 2. the cops would earn their money on the day too.

harmesy 37

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2005
Princes Park
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Nothing
The last thing the AFL needs is MORE clubs. The chances of your club winning it is already 1/18...who wants the odds worsened to 1/22?..Unless you're Hawthorn and you win every 4/5 years on average.

Not me.

So for the point of brevity I select

The Wagga Wagga Whales (it's inland I know but whales have been spotted on Wagga beach before).

The Cooper Pedy Opals

and

The Gascoyne Junction Petticoats.

Some might not know where Gascoyne Junction is.... so here it is -

and to create a bye i would have one more team - the Devenport Dockers... that way there are two Docker teams and they can argue over jumpers/clashes/names etc. Make them purple with a beige anchor.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
If Australia is projected to reach 50 million one day I see no reason as to why we need to stop expansion at 20. Tasmania and Canberra would come in ASAP if it were up to me and FNQ, NSW 3&4 and NZ would be the ones to look at for expansion down the (very long) track. NT have too many hurdles for an AFL side and WA3/SA3 will never make sense to me.

22 is my ideal preference in terms of a fixed number of teams but I'd go up to 24 if needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back