The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

America has teams where it makes financial sense, they don't hand out teams just so more states can have a team.. get a grip ffs.
The Arizona Coyotes exist because the NHL wants to push their product on the south western US states. The franchise continually runs at a loss, was owned by the league at one point (this is unusual), and at the present time the local council has elected to not renew the arena lease for next season.

The Arizona Coyotes exist because the NHL wants to push their product on the south western US states. The franchise continually runs at a loss, was owned by the league at one point (this is unusual), and at the present time the local council has elected to not renew the arena lease for next season.

Sounds like a certain team which half plays in Canberra

Arizona has a population of nearly 8 million, what’s Tasmania’s population again?

Are you trying to argue that Arizona and Tasmania are similar economic expansion zones?

Doesn’t one have like 14 times the population of the other?

Population of USA is far greater than Australia. Relative population of both Arizona & Tasmania actually make up 2% of their respective country.

I don't even think the other poster was even arguing this, but how ill informed you are never fails to amuse

Population of USA is far greater than Australia. Relative population of both Arizona & Tasmania actually make up 2% of their respective country.

I don't even think the other poster was even arguing this, but how ill informed you are never fails to amuse

And now explain why the * relative population matters when a state has 8 million people to sustain a team :think:

And now explain why the fu** relative population matters when a state has 8 million people to sustain a team :think:

..because if each team had a catchment of 7 million (which is population of Arizona) an Australian league would only have 4 teams.

And where the fu** did I say a team must have 7 million people to have a team?

Are you all there? What are you arguing against exactly?

That you don't know f'n anything. Pretty sound argument actually.

That you don't know f'n anything. Pretty sound argument actually.

I said it’s ridiculous to compare Arizona to Tasmania then you started saying some dumb s**t about teams needing 7 million people? Do you have any idea what you’re saying or do you just say it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said it’s ridiculous to compare Arizona to Tasmania then you started saying some dumb sh*t about teams needing 7 million people? Do you have any idea what you’re saying or do you just say it?

You can always use ur brain. Australia's population is 26 million. A catchment of 7 million is a big chunk of that. For example if all teams had a catchment that size, which isn't uncommon for american leagues, then in Australia we'd have 4 teams. American leagues have over 30 clubs.

..& that's why it's dumb to compare American teams & their catchments to ours.

The next four should be:

1. Tasmania (home games split between Hobart and Launceston)
2. Canberra
3. Northern Australia (home games in Darwin only)
4. Perth 3

However, limit the league to 21 teams. So whether that is resulted from a merger or relocation or no Perth 3… not my choice.

With 21 teams, you play everyone once, 10 home and 10 away. 2 byes through the season.

Expand the finals to be 12 teams, to keep more teams in the race. Use the current system, but add a week before hand (so an extra 6 finals games for extra revenue). In the new week before the current system have:

1v3 (winner gets a home qualifying final against loser 2v4).
2v4 (winner gets a home qualifying final against loser 1v3).

5v9 to determine 5th (loser eliminated)
6v10 to determine 6th (loser eliminated)
7v11 to determine 7th (loser eliminated)
8v12 to determine 8th (loser eliminated)

Then proceed with the current finals system.

If we're locked in at 22 teams, then:

Team 19 Tasmania
Team 20 Canberra
Team 21 Northern Territory
Team 22 Perth

You can get your arse to a barnyard that at least one, if not three, of the next four teams that come into the AFL (if it does expand to 22 teams) will come from NSW, though, since the campaigners have a hard-on for expanding the game there.

But with 22 teams, I'd be going everyone plays each other once + a rivalry return game = 22 rounds and a top 12 finals system. I don't care that 7-12 will only win a flag once every 50 years; if that, I'd rather more teams make the finals for the excitement and atmosphere, so there's more to play for and fewer dead rubber games.

But 20 teams would be more than enough IMO. 2 each in NSW, SA, QLD, and WA, 1 in the ACT (relocate North to Canberra, Canberra Kangaroos has a nice ring to it), 1 in TAS, 1 in the NT, and 9 in VIC. A truly national competition.

If we're locked in at 22 teams, then:

Team 19 Tasmania
Team 20 Canberra
Team 21 Northern Territory
Team 22 Perth

You can get your arse to a barnyard that at least one, if not three, of the next four teams that come into the AFL (if it does expand to 22 teams) will come from NSW, though, since the campaigners have a hard-on for expanding the game there.

But with 22 teams, I'd be going everyone plays each other once + a rivalry return game = 22 rounds and a top 12 finals system. I don't care that 7-12 will only win a flag once every 50 years; if that, I'd rather more teams make the finals for the excitement and atmosphere, so there's more to play for and fewer dead rubber games.
only thing id say is that youre extending the season by quite a few weeks there. i dont think we can get 2 weeks more finals and keep the same number of games during the year.

if we lengthen the finals series, id keep the league at 20 teams (play everyone once and 1 rivalry) for a 20 round season, and then you can absorb 2 extra weeks of finals

only thing id say is that youre extending the season by quite a few weeks there. i dont think we can get 2 weeks more finals and keep the same number of games during the year.

if we lengthen the finals series, id keep the league at 20 teams (play everyone once and 1 rivalry) for a 20 round season, and then you can absorb 2 extra weeks of finals
That sounds reasonable.

I'd like to see a team in Tassie, the ACT and the NT, though, which either means 21 teams or 20 teams if a Vic club relocates. Now, I think Tassie and NT should have their own unique team, so I'd be relocating a team to the ACT since they don't seem to mind. I think Canberra Kangaroos with a Canberra academy could do pretty well on and off-field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back