Analysis The AFL world is fed up with Richmond, but is the empire really crumbling?

Remove this Banner Ad

He shouldn't. 1. it wasn't a strike it was a sloppy tackle and 2. Insufficient force.

Starcivich played out the game, lied on the deck as long as possible for maximum sympathy from the numptie umps.

Should have a been a free kick at worst, like the high contact Pickett received moments before that was 'play on'

The AFL media (and most other media) have fu** all consequences, the spit out whatever the fu** they want with no repercussions. The club should start suing the campaigners with defamation.

The f***ers still haven’t apologised about saying we were rorting the system when we subbed off Vlastuin in round one. They basically called us cheats, saying we were gaming the system. How many weeks did Vlas miss ffs. Plenty of time for them to act.

View attachment 1136170

View attachment 1136175
Wasn't that old mate Tom "Bacardi Breezer" Morris that called us cheats for the Floss sub?

I agree with him. Pickett will struggle to get off. The other two reports are a joke.

It would be truly comical if Pickett doesn’t get off for what amounted to a highish tackle of no great consequence and certainly no force beyond minor applied to the head….when in the exact same passage of play he gets hit in the head with enough force to rock his head back by a deliberate swinging arm, and no free kick no report.

Surely they merely show the whole passage of play and simply ask the tribunal how can the MRO possibly justify suspending Pickett whilst not taking any action regarding Bailey.

It would be the very definition of an unfair process and the AFL would be open to the club and the player taking the matter further, to their potential embarrassment. It is against the principles of natural justice, to which all organisations are essentially bound by law.

Pickett will be exonerated by the tribunal in any event, the technical case against him will simply not stand up.

It would be truly comical if Pickett doesn’t get off for what amounted to a highish tackle of no great consequence and certainly no force beyond minor applied to the head….when in the exact same passage of play he gets hit in the head with enough force to rock his head back by a deliberate swinging arm, and no free kick no report.

Surely they merely show the whole passage of play and simply ask the tribunal how can the MRO possibly justify suspending Pickett whilst not taking any action regarding Bailey.

It would be the very definition of an unfair process and the AFL would be open to the club and the player taking the matter further, to their potential embarrassment. It is against the principles of natural justice, to which all organisations are essentially bound by law.

Pickett will be exonerated by the tribunal in any event, the technical case against him will simply not stand up.
Agreed. How much did they say it costs to have a case heard at the tribunal again? Some astronomical amount. Should be coming out of Michael Christians pay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. How much did they say it costs to have a case heard at the tribunal again? Some astronomical amount. Should be coming out of Michael Christians pay.

We are reminded to our outrage that MRO decisions are not ultimately made by Christian the MRO. They are all sent to S Hocking for approval before being released. Therefore, we can be certain Hocking agrees with all MRO decisions, we cannot be certain Michael Christian agrees with them.

Last edited:
We have been really lucky balancing skill, injury and recruiting the right players for needed roles.

If we stick to the formula then we will be ok. We might go down for a bit but we can work out way back up.

What worries me is if we get impatient and start to make decisions like hawthorn did and try and fill gaps instead of investing in our youth.

Did anyone catch the VFL game though? We have some serious talent coming up. Let's hope they get a chance before leaving for more opportunities.

I saw the VFL and yes there is lots to like coming through. I would like to see CCJ soon for team balance and Maboir Chol was good, looks to have bulked up a bit to me. I have seen a few of our VFL games and Samson Ryan looks like he could be the one to follow Jack when the time comes. Would like to see Stack & Rioli Jnr. in for tackling and defensive pressure to let us hold the ball in better again. Caddy was good but of newbies we had Dow, Cumberland, Nyuon and others who did lots of good stuff which makes me think hope things will be good for the future.

Great article, factual and well written, very much an anomaly in today's football media landscape.

Karen Cornes...LMFAO...he's never gonna live that down, fits him like a glove. 🤣

Anyone else noticed the striking similarity between Karen's boof head and the infamous 'troll' memes?

47a6693302cdc814253773abbfcc5ed2_w200.gif

giphy.gif

KECZH.gif

Sheer coincidence, I'm sure...;)

We do definitely need to start picking our fights more carefully, Chris Scotts allowed the luxury of an AFL whinge every week and its accepted in media circles, we're just not allowed the same luxury. Dimma shared his opinions on just about every AFL weekly talking point this year, everything from VFL rules, medical subs, loaning AFL players, holding the ball rule, hating Marvel stadium and now the umpiring. Compiled onto this was the Rioli/Bolton situation where the media accused the club of directly contradicting Gill McLachlan.
I think Dimma needs to pick a lane and quickly and the umpiring differential against us this year is a very real one, unfortunately its now lost in the media scrum as Richmond having just another sook but its absolutely not. Saturday nights game (and this is the first time I've posted about the umpires) was a god damn disgrace, over three sustained inconsistent quarters the free-kick differential won Brisbane that game, theres no denying what happened and I for one want immediate answers from the AFL. Unfortunately we're not going to get any answers because of Dimmas bad media rap sheet.
Dimmer needs to attend the next presser and stay silent. Give them nothing. I would love the club to freeze out all media. Us against the world just the way we like it.

The AFL media (and most other media) have fu** all consequences, the spit out whatever the fu** they want with no repercussions. The club should start suing the campaigners with defamation.

The f***ers still haven’t apologised about saying we were rorting the system when we subbed off Vlastuin in round one. They basically called us cheats, saying we were gaming the system. How many weeks did Vlas miss ffs. Plenty of time for them to act.

View attachment 1136170

View attachment 1136175
For some reason Captain grumpy McClure had to publicly apologise on afl 360 to Brad Johnson...yet the parasites that are the afl media can write complete bullshit about Richmond all they like with no accountability....

Despite being a GEELOl mole the only media person who even raised the dog shot that pickett copped prior to his reportable incident was Whately...and it was glossed over...

Good onya Peggy.Slight dig at Gil and the boys.

Richmond president Peggy O’Neal says allegations of bullying and harassment in the AFL are a “terrible concern”, as league chief Gillon McLachlan declared he was open to meeting with the disgruntled former staffers.
The Australian has reported that 14 former employees over the past nine years, including one man, had left AFL House, AFL state associations and AFL clubs due to harassment, bullying or poor behaviour.

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has defended the league’s handling of bullying allegations.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
It has been reported that 11 signed confidentiality agreements, an issue which has again raised questions about how the league handles disgruntled employees.
O’Neal said on Friday that she was concerned about the allegations.

RELATED ARTICLE
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-boys-club-casts-shadow-over-the-game-20210527-p57vtf.html

“I am and I think more so if reports like that were coming out of my club, I would want to get to the bottom of it. I would want to know how it was not made public or wasn’t as transparent,” O’Neal said on ABC radio.
“I think it is a concern. I don’t have any of the facts … but it’s a terrible concern in a time when we want the sport to be open and welcoming to everyone that there are women who allegedly have been treated poorly and if I were the AFL Commission I would want to get to it as quickly as possible.”
McLachlan, however, on Friday defended how league headquarters conducts its business, declaring he had all the files of the former employees and maintained the league did not use non-disclosure agreements.
“We don’t use NDAs and we don’t use non-disclosure or things to try and silence victims or complainants,” McLachlan said on 3AW.

“We take them all seriously.”
He added: “When people leave the organisation, which is hundreds, there are standard ... confidentiality clauses and non-disparagement clauses, which there are in all organisations. What I would say is, if they are in some way, even if people have been a complainant, later on feel they are constrained from talking about their experiences to the AFL, they shouldn’t be and we will look at the nuances of those agreements.”
Those agreements remain a point of contention, for 11 of the 14 former employees mentioned in the report had signed confidentiality agreements.

Play Video

McLachlan insisted there had been no “buying of silence” in his time in the top role or before he replaced his predecessor, Andrew Demetriou, and replied “of course” when asked if he was open to meeting with the former staffers.

“What I would say is we take pretty seriously [the need] to build a safe environment and a culture of inclusion and I feel we went hard on this and our environment has changed and included as it does in every organisation year on year,” he said.
“We engage with and survey our people regularly and they tell us, generally, it’s a great place to work. However, incidents happen and any woman who’s had a poor experience and doesn’t feel they can talk, that is one too many, and we take that seriously.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back