The AFL's top 10 worst coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Hinkley at the very least saw his team into a prelim, there's a handful of coaches who've done a lot worse - Port's previous coach, Matthew Primus, being one of them

Would any of you put Grant Thomas up there, I didn't see much of him but have heard he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire in the coaches box

Ken Hinkley at the very least saw his team into a prelim, there's a handful of coaches who've done a lot worse - Port's previous coach, Matthew Primus, being one of them

And he has grossly underachieved ever since ! All whilst having resources that Primus couldn’t even dream about getting.

Just quietly recon Phil Walsh played a much bigger part in 2014 than most people give him credit for !

Remember that period of a few years where whenever a new coach was hired, people in the media would wonder why Kenny Hinkley couldn't get a senior gig because he was so brilliant?

Maybe those club boards are better than we give them credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Kevin Murray (34 games, no wins)
2 Buckenara
3 Brian Dixon (hopeless)
4 Allan Hird (the elder)
5 Bill Twomey (the elder)
6 Mark Neeld
7 Royce Hart
8 Les Foote
9 Noel McMahen
10 Graham Gellie

Last edited:
Brendon Bolton is easily in the conversation
If he gets sacked tomorrow in 2 years time he will all of a sudden be the greatest coach like Ratten that should never of been sacked.

Ratten has comments like this as well on here when he was a coach but all of a sudden he was a coaching messiah after we sacked him while still never being offered a role since.

I am sure if we sack Bolts the threads in support of him will be everywhere while the pot shots at the club will be abundant and the internet wants blood followed by hindsight internet heroism.

I reckon it is a bit harsh on Brittain and Merrett, Brittain did no worse than "super coach" Pagan, and Merrett had bugger all time to indicate one way or the other. Knights also really didn't have a chance. Party players.

Knights did have time and a chance to be honest. His time as the inaugural coach of Brisbane, fair enough. His time at Hawthorn, different story. Knights took over a TFL side that was top of the ladder, in his year(s) there took them to the spoon. After he got the Hawthorn gig, and left that TFL side won the premiership...

A great player not a great coach imo.

If he gets sacked tomorrow in 2 years time he will all of a sudden be the greatest coach like Ratten that should never of been sacked.

Ratten has comments like this as well on here when he was a coach but all of a sudden he was a coaching messiah after we sacked him while still never being offered a role since.

I am sure if we sack Bolts the threads in support of him will be everywhere while the pot shots at the club will be abundant and the internet wants blood followed by hindsight internet heroism.
At least Ratten was able to get Carlton to finals and was even able to win one which to get a side like Carlton there would take a real good effort, Brendon Bolton hasn't even looked close to even making finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back