The Aftermath of Yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,21145105-11088,00.html

CARLTON finance director Marcus Rose resigned yesterday amid heavy fallout from comments about the club's off-field plight.
Rose withdrew from next week's board election after discussions with Blues president Graham Smorgon and members of the Carlton Unity ticket.

The decision to walk away came hours after the Herald Sun published comments by Rose claiming the Blues' financial situation was far worse than a dying Fitzroy.
Rose had delivered a blunt assessment of the Blues' finances to underline the importance of finding new revenue streams, including the $67 million redevelopment of Princes Park.
But Smorgon, seeking re-election on Tuesday night as leader of the Carlton Unity ticket, quickly distanced himself from Rose's comments.
"The comments and statements made by Marcus are not the views of the Carlton Football Club," Smorgon said.
"Marcus has admitted that if he were to conduct the interview again he would do so very differently.
"He understands the position his comments have put him in and as a result he has retired."
Smorgon admitted he was "absolutely staggered" by the comments.
"Marcus regrets what he's said. He's done the honourable thing, retired and fallen on his sword," Smorgon told radio 3AW.
Smorgon was unavailable for further comment last night.
Rose, a life member who had served on the board for almost five years, said he had stepped down in the best interests of the Carlton Unity ticket he was representing.
Rose said he was prepared to continue to help the club to get its ambitious development plan off the ground.
He said last night he was "sounding a warning signal" that the club could no longer rely on traditional income streams alone.
Rose also said that in an "extreme situation" the club ran the risk of being amalgamated or forced interstate by the AFL, as was the case with Fitzroy.
Both Smorgon and the AFL were surprised Rose spoke about the risk of merger or relocation.
"The club is bigger than any individual and all the directors, and indeed everyone associated with Carlton Football Club, must act appropriately and not make comments outside the views of the club," Smorgon said.
"I assure all Carlton supporters, and indeed the football public, that Carlton will not be relocating or merging with another club.
"This is simply not an option for our club and it has not been – and will not be considered – by the Carlton Football Club board under my watch."
AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said the league had been working closely with Carlton to ensure it will not have to rely on outside assistance in the future.
"I want to make it clear, through all our discussions with the Carlton board and administration to provide financial assistance, there has never been any discussion of merging or relocating the Carlton Football Club raised by any member of the AFL executive or AFL Commission," Demetriou said.
"The AFL was extremely surprised to see this prospect raised by a Carlton board member this morning and, on behalf of the AFL Commission, I wish to clearly state that this issue has not been canvassed at any time in any forum."
Smorgon said Carlton's financial position had "improved dramatically" in recent years.
"We have come through our most difficult financial period and have the key building blocks in place," he said.
Rose's departure means there are now 13 candidates for 10 spots on the board.
Any postal votes already received for Rose become null and void.

Although I knew this already, it's good to have some reassurance from Demetriou and Smorgon that merging or relocating is not on the AFL's or Carlton's agenda.

And some comments from Herald Sun readers:

I hope the Carlton Board is voted out and the club is able to start over with or without help from the AFL. From an outsider's veiw there seems to be too much disunity and none of the executives putting the club first above their own self interests. Meanwhile the ordinary supporter who was not responsible for the whole mess is left to suffer. To all the other clubs' fans including my own, don't be so quick to gloat at Carlton's troubles. How many of us really know the "salary cap" workings of our own clubs now or in the future? We trust in the powerbrokers to do the right and honourable thing with the emphasis on the word "trust"! Unfortunately for Carlton fans their club has had to be made an example of to all the others and now needs help. Despite being one of those often despised Eagles supporters from Perth, I don't want history to repeat itself with any more Victorian clubs. After all from purely selfish reasons, what joy is there in having fewer strong Victorian clubs like Carlton to battle against at the MCG when we come to Melbourne? It is what made our wins of the early 90s so meaningful. All AFL lovers like myself love the contest first and foremost and hate- filled rivalries between strong clubs is what ultimately makes the greatest contests!
Posted by: Sally of Perth of 2:52am today

As a passionate Carlton supporter I am beyond exasperated by the incompetence of the current board. Whilst I believe Mr Rose's claims are in fact correct it was an appalling time to raise speculation - 1 week from the AGM surely these concerns should have been raised well before voting forms were due back. The board is made up of experts in their chosen fields yet they are incompetent of managing a football club - 5 years post the Elliot debarcle and things are only getting worse. 13 candidates and there are only 3 worth voting for. We are in deep trouble unless the board can suddenly become imaginative and work together instead of infighting. We have a window of 2 years to turn things around or else we will cease to exist in the near future.
Posted by: rob greenberg of melbourne 2:21am today

Comments pretty much sum up most of our thoughts

And from The Age

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/...merger-comments/2007/01/30/1169919336752.html

CARLTON director Marcus Rose, the architect of the club's ambitious redevelopment of its ground, yesterday resigned from the board following a fallout from comments he made about the club's parlous financial state.

Rose yesterday offered his resignation to president Graham Smorgon following discussions with the Carlton Unity ticket, saying he did not wish to be responsible for hurting the electoral prospects of other board members.

Rose had compared Carlton's financial position to that of Fitzroy before it went into administration and was forced into a merger with Brisbane, but Rose yesterday told his fellow directors, and Smorgon, that he had not intended to harm the board and that his comments — made to sell the necessity of the $67 million redevelopment plan — did not reflect the club's position.

As a result of the Rose resignation, 13 candidates are now vying for 10 board positions, with one of the challengers, Ari Suss, almost certain to be elected, given that he has been recommended for the 10th spot by the Carlton Unity ticket — which is opposed to the re-election of rebel director Lauraine Diggins.

Votes cast for Rose now will be ignored with the other names marked on the ballot to count. The polls close on Friday.

"I was just trying to draw the scenario that, given Carlton's financial circumstances and given the facts that, you know, it was having difficulties balancing the books, that it required to develop new avenues of new income-producing revenues." Rose said of his comments.

"It (the re-development) could deliver profits and earnings and cash flows and whatever have you. It's not pie in the sky, the bloody thing will happen. I mean, we've got to get it past the council."

The investment bank Babcock and Brown and BankWest are backing the deal, and one of the former's conditions is that Smorgon and Rose sit on the board of the investment company that would own the redevelopment.

Rose said while he was no longer a director of the club, he was willing to sit on the board of that new entity to ensure the deal happened.

"I'm prepared to help them … If it comes to getting the deal across the line, and Carlton want me to, I'm happy to make myself available and sit on that board, to get the deal across the line for Carlton," he said.

"It's desperately needed. There's no question about it. It's having difficulty balancing the books. Regardless of what you're hearing, the fact of the matter is that the club is going to have another half-million-dollar cash shortfall in 2007 and it, you know, can't continue to do that. It needs to get further revenue streams," he said.

Rose said it had been his own decision to resign.

"Having created a controversial situation that may adversely affect the chances of other Carlton Unity members, I just didn't want to be in a situation where anyone could turn around and blame me for a loss or some members not be elected, and appointments and so forth," he said.

"For my part, I thought the appropriate thing to do was to resign."

Rose said he had spoken to all the Carlton Unity members to explain the circumstances of "how the interview and the article came about".

"After that, I spoke to Graham and in the discussion with Graham, I said to him, 'I don't want to be in any way responsible for any of you guys not getting across the line and perhaps in the circumstances it would be best if I resign'."

Smorgon said Rose regretted his comments. "Marcus has admitted that if he were to conduct the interview again, he would do so very differently. He understands the position his comments have put him in and as a result, he has retired. Marcus has been a valuable member of the Carlton board since late 2002 and his contribution in a number of areas has been appreciated.

"I assure all Carlton supporters and indeed the football public that the Carlton Football Club will not be relocating or merging with another club. This is simply not an option for our club and it has not been and will not be considered by the Carlton Football Club board under my watch."

Good news about Stage 2 re-development and Rose still willing to assist with that project if need be.

Morons!!!:(

1458724.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back