Rumour The aftermath when Demetriou flew to Adelaide in 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Amazon's Super League war. Like Rupert Murdoch's Super League war revisited but in the AFL.
Murdoch's Super League had 10 teams, 8 of which were existing clubs. It lasted one year, attracted small crowds, and cost News up to $560 million.

Murdoch's Super League had 10 teams, 8 of which were existing clubs. It lasted one year, attracted small crowds, and cost News up to $560 million.

It might even be as successful as the XFL!

halalsnackpack

All Australian
Apr 11, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
The AFL basically own the rights (jumpers, nicknames, colours, history etc) to all 18 teams. There is definitely a clause saying they can't move to another league

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
I watched Nathan Bock in his second last game it was at Subiaco and the bloke could hardly move. Not suggesting at all that this happened but it would have the best scenario for him to “cut a deal”, he was cooked as an AFL player because of his leg.

Sounds likely. I think his injury still hadn’t repaired (even after the magic cream) so he wasn’t going to play on anyway. ASADA should have still gone after him which would have stopped him from working within the industry for the duration of the ban.

How could ASADA go after Bock when Robinson had immunity from prosecution ? Impossible !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The super league would have nothing to do with the AFL, rather Australian rules football (the sport)

And it would be the mother of all disasters

In a very tribal sport it would have none of the tribes

In a country with limited stadia it would have no access to all the major oval stadia

It would need to pay well overs to get any of the good players where TPP is over a quarter of a billion $

It is clearly nonsense in some Alt reality

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Amazon could just buy the exclusive rights for like, what, a fifth of the cost of setting up a six team league.

Plus recoup a lot of that. You get subscribers to Amazon AFL, you could sell games to free-to-air, you also advertise your brand and as you'd probably get Prime as part of the cost you're roping in regular Amazon sales too.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
Unlike RL, a war between two comps would end Aussie Rules Football professionally IMO.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
The only real success it had was shaking up the game.
I think a lot of people outside Victoria would say thats a good thing

At the end of the day Packer won everything he was after. He made his money back in triplicate

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I think a lot of people outside Victoria would say thats a good thing

At the end of the day Packer won everything he was after. He made his money back in triplicate

Yep, we do.

There is vic-centric imbalance which has held AFL back and allowed this to happen. AFL does everything to prop up poor clubs and a shrewd entrepreneur can see that AFL can go to new level if baggage can be cut off. That’s the poor clubs. Also:

Sick of having my team to travel to tassie to prop up Victorian clubs.

Sick of victorians describing their clubs as some sort of heavenly created thing when they are only surviving by making people addicted to gambling.

Sick of seeing Victorian clubs begging afl to play Collingwood at home each season (doesn’t affect my club, but it’s embarrassing).

Sick of unequal draw.

Sick of decisions being made about grand final with victorians working behind the back of everyone else. And for what?

Sick of afl boys club.

Don’t worry about colours and names and all that. After everything settles down, all those sorts of things will go back to their original clubs. I also don’t know how AFL house can actually exist without clubs....if no clubs, no large pay packets for the boys club.

If this heats up and clubs are looking to leave, you can also bet that location of GF could change as part of negotiations to get them to stay.

Most Non Victorian fans need this to happen (at least SA and WA).

Take our GST, be take your game biatches!

Jan 16, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, we do.

There is vic-centric imbalance which has held AFL back and allowed this to happen. AFL does everything to prop up poor clubs and a shrewd entrepreneur can see that AFL can go to new level if baggage can be cut off. That’s the poor clubs. Also:

Sick of having my team to travel to tassie to prop up Victorian clubs.

Sick of victorians describing their clubs as some sort of heavenly created thing when they are only surviving by making people addicted to gambling.

Sick of seeing Victorian clubs begging afl to play Collingwood at home each season (doesn’t affect my club, but it’s embarrassing).

Sick of unequal draw.

Sick of decisions being made about grand final with victorians working behind the back of everyone else. And for what?

Sick of afl boys club.

Don’t worry about colours and names and all that. After everything settles down, all those sorts of things will go back to their original clubs. I also don’t know how AFL house can actually exist without clubs....if no clubs, no large pay packets for the boys club.

If this heats up and clubs are looking to leave, you can also bet that location of GF could change as part of negotiations to get them to stay.

Most Non Victorian fans need this to happen (at least SA and WA).

Take our GST, be take your game biatches!
But you must realise you are only an invited guest to a Victorian party.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back