Rumour The aftermath when Demetriou flew to Adelaide in 2010

I heard Collingwood ate heaps of marijuanas before the GF replay of 2010 like each player ate 1 marijuana each.

unless you're under 16 this is just so embarrassing for you to post

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

You rang?

WooshaMeetsUmp_webhero.jpg

Catoggio76

All Australian
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
The Twitter user that inspired this thread is claiming that the AFL has shut him down, jump on his Twitter for more details.

Reckons he has proof to back everything he has stated, could be interesting. Also the 'sunset' clause in the GC license could be an interesting development if true

Can't get onto twitter on my work pc. What's this sunset clause?

After 10 years from the initial license being created, it is available for purchase. The man on twitter claimed that there is a collective group that is looking at purchasing the license and moving the team to Tassie, similar to that of an NBA franchise

Very interesting if true. Would be the AFL's way of wiping their hands and not having to fold the Suns I guess

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What year do we find out of this is true?
Quick google search would suggest end of 2019. As for the AFL wiping their hands clean it would be the opposite, they have poured far too much money into developing it to sell it for pennies on the dollar. The AFL fundamentally failed the start up of the team by having sub-par facilities available from the start until last season, they were training out of ATCO huts no word of a lie.

sprockets

Cancelled
Crime Board Sleuth BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Quick google search would suggest end of 2019. As for the AFL wiping their hands clean it would be the opposite, they have poured far too much money into developing it to sell it for pennies on the dollar. The AFL fundamentally failed the start up of the team by having sub-par facilities available from the start until last season, they were training out of ATCO huts no word of a lie.
Were GWS and Gold Coast not created equally? Legit question.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Short answer no.

GWS have always had nice facilities shown through their social media, right in sydney Olympic park regarded highly and got the 100 million dollar stadium off the bat. Much more appealing to players to stay there. As for fans the stadium is like a 2-5 minutes walk from the train station (more accessible) with paid carparks nearby.

Gold Coast got Manuka redeveloped (still nice) but its a 25 minute walk from the train station with relatively no parking nearby. As mentioned earlier about training facilities the Suns were training out of ATCO huts for 8 years with the new facilities opening in 2017. How are you meant to convince a player to stay when you have facilities no where near the level of all 17 other clubs?

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Also a quick update about the original twitter account, he has been given a 7 day ban first (alleged phone calls, knock on the door and cease and desist letter from the AFL) and now his account has been hacked and deleted. Interesting events

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
After 10 years from the initial license being created, it is available for purchase. The man on twitter claimed that there is a collective group that is looking at purchasing the license and moving the team to Tassie, similar to that of an NBA franchise

The AFL doesn’t have private ownership and hasn’t had for a very long time.

I’d suggest that the prospect of a club effectively being put on public sale is bullshit.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The AFL doesn’t have private ownership and hasn’t had for a very long time.

I’d suggest that the prospect of a club effectively being put on public sale is bullshit.

Probably true there, but the clause is still there which leaves the possibility albeit a small one

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably true there, but the clause is still there which leaves the possibility albeit a small one

I’d suggest there’s zero possibility. GCFC is owned by the AFL, who appoint the board. If there’s some sort of “change of ownership” clause after ten years, it’s probably something to do with the ownership of the club being passed to the members or something.

I think The_Wookie would know.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I’d suggest there’s zero possibility. GCFC is owned by the AFL, who appoint the board. If there’s some sort of “change of ownership” clause after ten years, it’s probably something to do with the ownership of the club being passed to the members or something.

I think The_Wookie would know.

Im tired so bear with me.

Gold Coast is techincally owned by its membership - at this stage the voting membership consists solely of the Transitional Member - the AFL. This is the same arrangement - with minor variations currently in place - at 5 different AFL clubs (GWS/Gold Coast/Sydney/Adelaide and Port Adelaide). Only Adelaides consitution carries a specific end date for Transition to its membership (2029), although Port should have a similar arrangement.

The AFL hasnt sold a license since 1996. GWS and Gold Coast were both granted licenses and their club constitutions allow for no such sale to take place. "The man on twitter" can say what he likes, but the AFL has firmly stated a number of times that private ownership of AFL licences are not on the agenda.

There's no such clause. Check the damn club constitutions before rattling this off. The only provisions are made for the AFL as interim member to handover to the clubs membership as such a time as agreed by the AFL and the clubs board. The same conditions would apply to GWS, as they definitely still apply to Sydney.

Morever, the AFLs own constitution would prohibit any such sale without the express approval of the clubs, nor can licenses be removed at whim.

Quick google search would suggest end of 2019.

My own google searches turn up nothing. Nor does any other reading on the subject. And club documentation, and league policy suggests that thats rubbish.

Short answer no.

GWS have always had nice facilities shown through their social media, right in sydney Olympic park regarded highly and got the 100 million dollar stadium off the bat. Much more appealing to players to stay there. As for fans the stadium is like a 2-5 minutes walk from the train station (more accessible) with paid carparks nearby.

GWS didnt get a 100 million dollar stadium, they had some renovation work done to the Sydney Showgrounds, it was a 60 million redevelopment. The Giants also had a small facility at Blacktown they couldnt use for half the year as it was shared with Cricket NSW. On the other hand, Gold Coast did get a 140 million dollar stadium built on the site of the old Carrara stadium. GWS did get some work done at Manuka, but most of it was scheduled to be done for Cricket anyway.

Last edited:

Lockatronicus

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2014
Back Streets of Mogadishu
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mogadishu Black Hawks
Im tired so bear with me.

Gold Coast is techincally owned by its membership - at this stage the voting membership consists solely of the Transitional Member - the AFL. This is the same arrangement - with minor variations currently in place - at 5 different AFL clubs (GWS/Gold Coast/Sydney/Adelaide and Port Adelaide). Only Adelaides consitution carries a specific end date for Transition to its membership (2029), although Port should have a similar arrangement.

The AFL hasnt sold a license since 1996. GWS and Gold Coast were both granted licenses and their club constitutions allow for no such sale to take place. "The man on twitter" can say what he likes, but the AFL has firmly stated a number of times that private ownership of AFL licences are not on the agenda.

There's no such clause. Check the damn club constitutions before rattling this off. The only provisions are made for the AFL as interim member to handover to the clubs membership as such a time as agreed by the AFL and the clubs board. The same conditions would apply to GWS, as they definitely still apply to Sydney.

Morever, the AFLs own constitution would prohibit any such sale without the express approval of the clubs, nor can licenses be removed at whim.

My own google searches turn up nothing. Nor does any other reading on the subject. And club documentation, and league policy suggests that thats rubbish.

GWS didnt get a 100 million dollar stadium, they had some renovation work done to the Sydney Showgrounds, it was a 60 million redevelopment. The Giants also had a small facility at Blacktown they couldnt use for half the year as it was shared with Cricket NSW. On the other hand, Gold Coast did get a 140 million dollar stadium built on the site of the old Carrara stadium. GWS did get some work done at Manuka, but most of it was scheduled to be done for Cricket anyway.

Well I guess that settles that.

SaltnPepperSam

Cancelled
May 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The_Wookie
the 2019 was using the twitter OP's 10 year clause idea, a quick google search would have suggested 2019 as its 10 years after the provisional license. The sale was purely based around the information that the OP provided and had no further basis, the sale suggested by the OP was that there was a collective looking to use that clause to purchase and relocate to Tasmania. None of that was my knowledge and was based off the original posters information, good by you to go into the constitutions of each club though gives us further info

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
No

The Suns licence was sold to a private consortium. I dont understand how the AFL retains control of the makeup of the board but everyone insists they do.

We are effectively a wholly owned subsidiary of the AFL with an option in the constitution to become a member owned club in the future. Albeit with an independent board.Very similar to the Swans.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
No

The Suns licence was sold to a private consortium. I dont understand how the AFL retains control of the makeup of the board but everyone insists they do.

We are effectively a wholly owned subsidiary of the AFL with an option in the constitution to become a member owned club in the future. Albeit with an independent board.Very similar to the Swans.

The_Wookie? Sorry to tag you again but I get confused as to how GC sand GWS actually work. Aren’t their licenses the same?

Back