THE AGE : AFL and racism: 'It's all white people talking about it'

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...-people-talking-about-it-20180814-p4zxei.html

Speaking at the Western Bulldogs' unveiling of their inaugural reconciliation action plan, Hosch said greater Indigenous representation among boards and administration remained a challenge.

"Well, this is a challenge, not just for clubs but for the whole industry ... certainly there are not many blackfellas at AFL House, I can vouch for that," she said.

Hosch, a Torres Strait Islander woman, said an Indigenous presence would bring a "uniqueness" into a board's conversation.

"I know when you have a blackfella in the room, in all sorts of rooms, it does tend to make the conversation a bit different. You can call it tokenism if you like but I have used tokenism to great effect on many, many occasions," she said.

Hosch also called for greater Indigenous representation in the mainstream AFL media, facetiously describing much of the current debate about racism as one of her "favourite things in the world".

"Other than Marngrook (Footy Show), I don't understand why footy media is just full of white people. I just don't get it," she said.

I was always taught that for any job or appointment, it should always be 'best person for the job" and that should never ever be based on race, religion, sexual persuasion etc either.

For this woman to come out and play the race card is totally unacceptable on every possible level. I find it not only inappropriate but insulting that an indigenous woman in her role in the governing body of the game has the need to make such comments.

FFS, there is a complete round of football annually dedicated to the indigenous contributions to the game complete with each club having special jumpers designed just for that game.

This is, in my opinion, muckraking of the highest order and because it is based around the indigenous community, everyone will once again tiptoe around it.

How this woman ever got her job at AFL House is bewildering but how she will be allowed to stay in the role is of even greater importance to me !!

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...-people-talking-about-it-20180814-p4zxei.html

I was always taught that for any job or appointment, it should always be 'best person for the job" and that should never ever be based on race, religion, sexual persuasion etc either.

For this woman to come out and play the race card is totally unacceptable on every possible level. I find it not only inappropriate but insulting that an indigenous woman in her role in the governing body of the game has the need to make such comments.

FFS, there is a complete round of football annually dedicated to the indigenous contributions to the game complete with each club having special jumpers designed just for that game.

This is, in my opinion, muckraking of the highest order and because it is based around the indigenous community, everyone will once again tiptoe around it.

How this woman ever got her job at AFL House is bewildering but how she will be allowed to stay in the role is of even greater importance to me !!
While i agree in general, we're then left with the assumption that Gil was "the best person for the job", which makes me lose faith in humankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back