Wetdog

I really am Aker.
Jun 23, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I have noticed over the past couple of months that the Age is increasingly using the term “AFL” in the heading and body of its articles. I can only speak to the online format, as I reside overseas and do not read the hard copy. But I often see that on some occasions more than 50% of the articles have “AFL” in the heading. What is driving this? The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with Google algorithm and pushing the website up the search results. Is it happening in the HS or the Australian?

I find it really frustrating for two reasons. 1. When reading an article, often the “AFL” terminology is just unnecessary to the point being made in the particular sentence. 2. Why should the sport be referred to as AFL? (I seem to recall this was raised in another thread somewhere) It is Football, not AFL. AFL is the name of the league, despite the fact that the AFL continue to mercilessly develop and strengthen its brand at any opportunity.

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

We're on right path: Melbourne AFL boss

“Melbourne AFL president Don McLardy says the Demons are breaking their necks to improve their on-field performances and he insists they're on the right path to future success.”

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/were-on-right-path-melbourne-afl-boss-20120530-1zjac.html

The start of this sentence should read: “Melbourne Football Club President…” or if you’re so worried about confusing MFC with the other codes, then the alternative is “Demons President Don McLardy says that they are…”.

Crap journalism. :thumbsdown:

It's bizarre. I don't see it from the Age, but rather in AAP articles on my phone's Footy Live app.

Sometimes it's ludicrous. One at the moment is "Shuey set to front AFL Eagles group."

Completely to do with search engine optimisation. I get phrases to use at work and they just make no sense at all, but we're encouraged to use them and increase hits to our website.

It just reflects the the games expansion. People who haven't grown up with it have to categorize it relation to other codes. Its why many of us use the term soccer for one of the other types of football. It all depends on the observer not the observed.

It just reflects the the games expansion. People who haven't grown up with it have to categorize it relation to other codes. Its why many of us use the term soccer for one of the other types of football. It all depends on the observer not the observed.

I see your point. However, I find it odd when they do it in the Victorian press. It's not necessary. No one is confusing football with anything else. Although, I guess it makes sense to streamline the article if they intend to use it in the various papers throughout the country that are owned by the same corporation.

Yesterday, I could barely find one example of the age using "AFL" in its headings. I thought I was going crazy. But today I had another look and this is from the top seven articles:

Shaw joins Magpies' AFL injury list

AFL Magpies lose Shaw for Gold Coast match

Ross Lyon hits back at AFL greats

Watters rates Tigers midfield AFL's best

AFL Eagle Priddis leaves concussion behind

No apologies: Ablett

THE message was simple from Gold Coast captain Gary Ablett in the fallout over his manhandling of young teammate Rory Thompson - get used to it.
Ablett made no apologies for grabbing Thompson to make a point during their disappointing loss to Port Adelaide, saying he would do it again to fire up the AFL battler.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/no-apologies-ablett-20120530-1zjfj.html#ixzz1wRuVUF7C

It's worth mentioning that all of The Age's (as well as SMH and other Fairfax titles) sub-editors are on strike at the moment due to Fairfax's decision to outsource editing of its Newcastle and Wollongong newspapers to New Zealand. Today's and yesterday's editions were probably edited by Fairfax management in Sydney who have limited knowledge of AFL terminology...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back