Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Rioli: forward or midfielder? Don't blink, or you'll miss him

DateJuly 19, 2012
By Emma Quayle
Cyril Rioli is running himself into a new role.

CYRIL Rioli has heard what everyone says about him. How they love the way he chases, tackles, picks pockets, kicks goals from impossible angles and makes decisions deep inside packs, before anyone else has realised there was a decision there to be made. How he makes people catch their breath and how they would like him to do more, more, more, please, and in places other than the Hawthorn forward line.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/hawtho...t-blink-or-youll-miss-him-20120718-22aml.html

art_w_rioli_1907-620x349.jpg

Great photo and a nice article.

Cyril has been in great form last few weeks. He gets a hard tag most weeks and I feel he is slowly improving on working through this. It's clear his running patterns are becoming more efficient by getting to the right positions more often.

Would love for Cyril to light up the G Saturday!

Good article, I genuinely think his best footy is in front of him.

I'm with you X, not only would I love him to light up the G, I think we need him to.

Would love to see him leading out of the goal square, no one could match him for pace and very good above his head for his size.

Pumped for this game, Go Hawks!

I'm all for Cyril getting more touches as long as it doesn't dilute his impact. He's such a special talent with the amount of influence he can have on a game just with his presence and a couple of touches

I think i am one of the few that want him in the forward half and not the midfield. His forward pressure and ability to create goals in there is too important for mine.

He has to play half-forward with stints in the midfield. Breust and Puopolo and decent enough near goals that we can afford to have Cyril as our man to deliver it inside 50 or kick it himself.

Love the way it has been going. Would love him to get more of the ball because he is so talented and sublimely skilled!

All I would like is... please stay on the ball park! no more injuries... that would make us the luckiest bunch of supporters in the history of football... to see both buddy and cyril strut their stuff on the same park. Just Awesome

Up forward he's the best small forward in the league as a midfielder he's nowhere the top mids. Easy decision for me.

Play him forward with the odd run through the middle to relieve the main mids.

Great article by the best AFL journo in the business IMO.

Rioli really has started to gather more of the ball and I think that has come with the confidence he has found with his new running style. He seems more confident in running harder for longer which is how he is able to apply so much pressure. Hopefully he continues his good run this weekend, we will need him

Rioli kept finding the ball dishing the ball out and then running into good position free 70m out v bulldogs all the time, only for teamates not to utilise him properly when he made these good runs into free space....his teamates need to be more aware of him and the good positions he occupies and utilise him at every possible moment v pies

Rioli really has started to gather more of the ball and I think that has come with the confidence he has found with his new running style. He seems more confident in running harder for longer which is how he is able to apply so much pressure. Hopefully he continues his good run this weekend, we will need him

agreed, Emma Quayle is one of the best. She seems to have a real love of the GAME. She write about football and football PLAYERS. She is not one of the gutter footy journos that cares more about scandals and boardroom battles like those hacks Caro or Hutchy.

And Cyril - apart from his football skills, he just seems like a really well grounded, humble young man. Strong ties to his family in NT - he will be a leader amongst hi people i am sure. We are very lucky to have a young fella of his skill, work ethic an character at hawthorn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that it relates to the article but it was fun to watch Sewelly & Bob Murphy talk about playing with/against Cyril on AFL:360 on Tuesday Night.
hey would you like to tell me what they said? I missed the show...i like the segment with sewel and murphy.. interesting to hear from them

man rioli could be 20metres from you standing still and youd still fumble with ur disposal and feel the pressure.. it must be his saki (killing intent) that you feel

Has anybody seen Riolis new running technique closely?? Has he gotten faster?? does he run longer at top speed? Hows he going with his new techinque of running

Remove this Banner Ad

Back