Scape Goat The Age's article on Fremantle's official licence granting, 25 years ago this weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ced-as-the-16th-afl-team-20181213-p50m2a.html

Surprised this doesn't have a thread.

This is the exact article printed on December 15, 1993 when Fremantle was officially the 16th team in the league.

Who remembers these days?

Go... Sharks?

3eb6fde1ae7130b859266bc39a2b15b4f4a1fbb9

85376f8b39468cc37563ebb3ac256e04a3e33d37

For an article released before the club even had a single member... how prophetic :rolleyes:

Fremantle has always had an incredibly strong football culture. Freo people are the beer and pie and sandshoe brigade; they’re working class – wharfies and fishermen and market gardeners – and basically, they don’t trust anyone north of the river. It takes time to be accepted as a Fremantle person, even if the yuppies are starting to come through and buy all the warehouses.

Eagles supporters tend to be more the champagne and caviar set.

"Its fair to say East Fremantle hasn't produced as many champions as South Fremantle" wtf. Where does this statement come from? Apart from also listing Mainwaring as South Freo this is an absurd comment. Oh i see the context. To play in the the VFL in the last five years....... *******.

Growing up the best two players in WA were without doubt Peake and Michael.

"Its fair to say East Fremantle hasn't produced as many champions as South Fremantle" wtf. Where does this statement come from? Apart from also listing Mainwaring as South Freo this is an absurd comment. Oh i see the context. To play in the the VFL in the last five years....... *******.

Yes, they were for different reasons, but for mine, TI is the best I’ve seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peake was brilliant, but you are looking at him with one blue eye & one white eye.
Michael was far & away the best going around, but there were a number of players in WA that could have been dubbed the second best, Peake included, but he was not a clear 2nd best IMO

Peake was brilliant, but you are looking at him with one blue eye & one white eye.
Michael was far & away the best going around, but there were a number of players in WA that could have been dubbed the second best, Peake included, but he was not a clear 2nd best IMO
Dual AA captain. Tassie medal for state carnivals. Peake dominayed games at CHF in the srart of 79. Dominated the centre and also played on the ball and half back. Then at 35 played full forward in a state game and kicked 6.

But then again we only saw the other play three times a year! How many games did you see Peake play from 1973 to 1980?

Name any ono else who was close?

Dual AA captain. Tassie medal for state carnivals. Peake dominayed games at CHF in the srart of 79. Dominated the centre and also played on the ball and half back. Then at 35 played full forward in a state game and kicked 6.

But then again we only saw the other play three times a year! How many games did you see Peake play from 1973 to 1980?

Name any ono else who was close?

Mr Magic an easy #2, and not far away from #1. THEN we start arguing about who comes in at #3.

Or was at least quoted, Brownie was my coach, he’d remember both days well I’d think.
My Dad was Danny the Doorman at South Freo at that time and he would remember you. Did you play Ressies with Gary Antulov at South's he is the current Dockers Interchange steward or are you Gary in real life he he

I was working at the function at the Passenger terminal when our guernsey was displayed for the first time.A great night.
Michael was, and still is the best footballer I have seen.He would be a sensation in the game today if he was playing.
Peake was an absolutely superb player for East Fremantle.Not as good as Michael but a bloody champion.
As far as Souths go, it was Michael then Rioli. But a sleeper there at the time was Benny Vigona.If Benny had the desire and hunger that TI and Maurice had , he would have been better than both.Benny was a real jet.
I saw many better than average players at Souths over the years, my brother included.He played 219 games for Souths.
The sad part about the forming of the Dockers was that there was no involvement from either club at the formation. Fremantle was the hub of football in WA,Fremantle oval was the home of WA football.There was so much history and culture at both Fremantle clubs to enforce the Fremantle tradition, but it was not taken.Instead we had hockey players running the club.Other than Ross Kelly, we had no actual football people at admin level.A very sad situation.

I was working at the function at the Passenger terminal when our guernsey was displayed for the first time.A great night.
Michael was, and still is the best footballer I have seen.He would be a sensation in the game today if he was playing.
Peake was an absolutely superb player for East Fremantle.Not as good as Michael but a bloody champion.
As far as Souths go, it was Michael then Rioli. But a sleeper there at the time was Benny Vigona.If Benny had the desire and hunger that TI and Maurice had , he would have been better than both.Benny was a real jet.
I saw many better than average players at Souths over the years, my brother included.He played 219 games for Souths.
The sad part about the forming of the Dockers was that there was no involvement from either club at the formation. Fremantle was the hub of football in WA,Fremantle oval was the home of WA football.There was so much history and culture at both Fremantle clubs to enforce the Fremantle tradition, but it was not taken.Instead we had hockey players running the club.Other than Ross Kelly, we had no actual football people at admin level.A very sad situation.

:think::think:

Hmmm... If you are who I think you are based on that info, then your niece has been mates with my sister for 40 years since they were in kindy together; your nephew and I won dance choreography competitions together when we were in primary school; and another nephew was once married to the sister of a former Freo assistant. Amirite?

Genuine question for anyone involved in Freo footy at the time: was that because Souths and Easts didn't want to work together? Or were both clubs frozen out by WAFC?

My Dad was Danny the Doorman at South Freo at that time and he would remember you. Did you play Ressies with Gary Antulov at South's he is the current Dockers Interchange steward or are you Gary in real life he he
Names ring a bell, but I feel it may have been after I left. I done my ACL in a game in 81 and never played again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back