The Alex Rance Circle Jerk

Remove this Banner Ad

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-09/barrett-rance-on-the-money-in-big-tuna-debate#/

Yet another example of a journo making out like Rance is the best thing since sliced bread.

He made a couple of comments about Tom Lynch and Richmond's pursuit of him that weren't 100% scripted, and Barrett is making out like he's the greatest speaker the league has ever seen. And the media putting Rance on a pedestal isn't a new thing. He's a great player and seems like a good bloke but seems like he's getting over the top treatment.

But another thing to consider is this: is the way the players interact with the media so watered-down and vanilla that Rance's comments are now considered exciting?

Either way give the article a read, it certainly gave me a laugh.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-09/barrett-rance-on-the-money-in-big-tuna-debate#/

Yet another example of a journo making out like Rance is the best thing since sliced bread.

He made a couple of comments about Tom Lynch and Richmond's pursuit of him that weren't 100% scripted, and Barrett is making out like he's the greatest speaker the league has ever seen. And the media putting Rance on a pedestal isn't a new thing. He's a great player and seems like a good bloke but seems like he's getting over the top treatment.

But another thing to consider is this: is the way the players interact with the media so watered-down and vanilla that Rance's comments are now considered exciting?

Either way give the article a read, it certainly gave me a laugh.

100% agree. It's not just Barrett; Gerard Healy on 3AW has been going on and on this week about how much of a big deal these comments were. How boring is the culture of the game where these comments are a main talking point of the week?

People on Big Footy will get a sore anus and bleat about ANYTHING

For some reason, Rance seems to have more critics than any other footballer of his stature.

1. Rance is a GREAT backman. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a peanut and knows f**k all about footy
  2. He speaks well, represents his club well and is fine ambassador & ornament to the game. I'm not too fussed about this, but in an era when deadshits like Jake Stringer make a million a year and are pumped up as "superstars" of the game, then I think it's important the AFL has some footballers who represent them well.
  3. Yes, I think it is refreshing to hear a footballer such as Rance speak candidly and I can understand why people in the media praise him for doing so when all they're used to getting from footballers is inane, meaningless, cliched drivel

People on Big Footy will get a sore anus and bleat about ANYTHING

For some reason, Rance seems to have more critics than any other footballer of his stature.

1. Rance is a GREAT backman. Anyone who thinks otherwise is a peanut and knows f**k all about footy
  2. He speaks well, represents his club well and is fine ambassador & ornament to the game. I'm not too fussed about this, but in an era when deadshits like Jake Stringer make a million a year and are pumped up as "superstars" of the game, then I think it's important the AFL has some footballers who represent them well.
  3. Yes, I think it is refreshing to hear a footballer such as Rance speak candidly and I can understand why people in the media praise him for doing so when all they're used to getting from footballers is inane, meaningless, cliched drivel

You left out best full back of all time

You left out best full back of all time
Everything in footy is either the best of all time, the worst of all time, the biggest of all time, etc, etc
Footy people use these for emphasis - to make themselves heard amongst all the chatter and thousands of opinions
Apparently it's not adequate enough to use superlatives without reaching for the "of all time" from the top shelf.

But with that said, Rance is in the conversation when discussing the best defenders ever (as pointless as those discussions might be)

He won the 2015 Richmond best and fairest ahead of Dustin Martin and finished a close runner-up to Dusty in 2016 and 2017. He went within 1 vote of winning B2B B&Fs. Not many defenders do that.

He has also been named All Australian full back for the past 4 seasons. Scarlett, Silvagni and Roos are the only KPDs from the AFL era to receive more than 4 AA selections. Wouldn't surprise me if Rance got a couple more and joined them.

What makes you think the champions from past decades are better than the champions from this era? Scarlett, Fletcher, Silvagni, Jakovich, Roos, Glendinning, Knights and Dench are acknowledged as some of the greatest ever, but my memory of those guys is that they were no more or less dominant than Rance.

People always put down the current day greats when discussing their best evers and rubbishing claims that the latest gun is the GOAT.

I just think the best players of any given era deserve to be ranked alongside the best from other eras

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everything in footy is either the best of all time, the worst of all time, the biggest of all time, etc, etc
Footy people use these for emphasis - to make themselves heard amongst all the chatter and thousands of opinions
Apparently it's not adequate enough to use superlatives without reaching for the "of all time" from the top shelf.

But with that said, Rance is in the conversation when discussing the best defenders ever (as pointless as those discussions might be)

He won the 2015 Richmond best and fairest ahead of Dustin Martin and finished a close runner-up to Dusty in 2016 and 2017. He went within 1 vote of winning B2B B&Fs. Not many defenders do that.

He has also been named All Australian full back for the past 4 seasons. Scarlett, Silvagni and Roos are the only KPDs from the AFL era to receive more than 4 AA selections. Wouldn't surprise me if Rance got a couple more and joined them.

What makes you think the champions from past decades are better than the champions from this era? Scarlett, Fletcher, Silvagni, Jakovich, Roos, Glendinning, Knights and Dench are acknowledged as some of the greatest ever, but my memory of those guys is that they were no more or less dominant than Rance.

People always put down the current day greats when discussing their best evers and rubbishing claims that the latest gun is the GOAT.

I just think the best players of any given era deserve to be ranked alongside the best from other eras

Sweet Jesus, I just said he is a very good player, clearly best full back in the league.

Why do we need to say he is "the best ever"? How about evaluating when his career is done? he might have 4 or 5 flags by then or he could do his knee this weekend and never play again. Why do we need to talk about him in the best ever talk?

For what it's worth I don't think he is good enough to do Scarletts boots up and if Josh Jenkins is having 5 shots on goal in a quarter against you I'd hate to see what Carey, Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall would have done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back