Opinion The all new 2013 trading & drafting thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is something from yesterday about Tippett. No mention of us but AFL.com.au understands Tippett, the younger brother of Sydney Swan Kurt, has attracted strong interest from Melbourne, Fremantle, North Melbourne and St Kilda ahead of the Rookie Draft. Tippett phhht's 12 yo nephew had performed well on Port Adelaide's Daniel Stewart.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-25/tippett-tipped

:)

...and we were exposed when Jacko was sidelined. We definitely need a 195+cm defender. I reckon Tippett is worth a rookie

Well in fairness, Hombsch was not given a go for several weeks after Trengove was injured. After the bulldogs loss (which he played well in) we got back on track with a huge win vs GWS and upsets vs Sydney and Collingwood

Why? What does it add to improving AFL performances. I think the club is professional enough now not to go down this path.

it does a lot to improve AFL performances. i'm not sure if a hard and fast 'at least one magpies rookie per year' rule is the way to go (and would probably be considered 'conduct prejudicial to the integrity of the draft' or some horseshit like that if made public) but the maggies players should be made aware that playing at port - where the coaching staff can get a good look at them - will give them the absolute best chance of being drafted. why else would gray sign on for next year when he could get a lot more money at another sanfl club?

it gives the club the opportunity to have a really good look at potential talent that can be acquired for little cost, draft-wise.

and if they turn out too good, then they can be hidden before the draft :)

The thing with guys like Hourigan and Wilson is nobody drafted them. Not one club took the risk. Clubs don't just interrogate weight or height or suitability for position (although although all those things count) but it's questions about adaptability, attitude, fitness, commitment, versatility, basic skills, character. Clubs put a massive investment into these kids and they want to be sure they will get that investment back. When you get burned by someone like a Jacobs you will be even more cautious.

We as amateurs make decisions based on maybe 1% of what recruiters know about these guys. These kids are closely watched by recruiters for years before they are eligible to be drafted. They are assessed, poked, prodded, interviewed. We see two minutes of video and make a call. As we witnessed from the Impey video a bad one makes you a dunce a good one makes you a star.

I had to laugh at a comment I heard that Port must have kept the second video of Impey hidden from other club recruiters. Sometimes I wonder if people think these kids are recruited based on listening to games called on the radio. An enormous amount of work by every club recruiter goes into these decisions.

Kenny said Port were committed to Impey after his interview at draft camp. They already knew about his skills, his fitness, his height, speed, agility by then. Now they knew about his character. They knew he would give his all to be the best he could be. You only had to read his brief bio about his time spent with his father and how hard he worked to be a league footballer to see why Port thought so much of him.

I wouldnt have said this much in the past, but I think we actually drafted with a plan this off-season.

Target the real areas of need - pace and small defenders - in a relatively poor draft pool, especially where other clubs may be after midfielders.

Then - and this bit is still to be proven - focus on talls, especially forwards next year.

If we get at least one quality key forward, and one key defender, next year, I think we'll be set for the next decade.

Whivh is something I never thought I'd be able to say 2 years ago, given the make-up of our list at that time.

The thing with guys like Hourigan and Wilson is nobody drafted them. Not one club took the risk. Clubs don't just interrogate weight or height or suitability for position (although although all those things count) but it's questions about adaptability, attitude, fitness, commitment, versatility, basic skills, character. Clubs put a massive investment into these kids and they want to be sure they will get that investment back. When you get burned by someone like a Jacobs you will be even more cautious.

We as amateurs make decisions based on maybe 1% of what recruiters know about these guys. These kids are closely watched by recruiters for years before they are eligible to be drafted. They are assessed, poked, prodded, interviewed. We see two minutes of video and make a call. As we witnessed from the Impey video a bad one makes you a dunce a good one makes you a star.

I had to laugh at a comment I heard that Port must have kept the second video of Impey hidden from other club recruiters. Sometimes I wonder if people think these kids are recruited based on listening to games called on the radio. An enormous amount of work by every club recruiter goes into these decisions.

Kenny said Port were committed to Impey after his interview at draft camp. They already knew about his skills, his fitness, his height, speed, agility by then. Now they knew about his character. They knew he would give his all to be the best he could be. You only had to read his brief bio about his time spent with his father and how hard he worked to be a league footballer to see why Port thought so much of him.
I would imagine that for every player drafted in the ND or RD that the decision makers would have seen them play in at least 3 full games.

I would imagine that for every player drafted in the ND or RD that the decision makers would have seen them play in at least 3 full games.
For state based recruiters, we could end up watching one player 15-18 times during the year. This includes SANFL games (all levels), U18s games (including trials) and add to this, finals football. Then add the training sessions attended. It can get to the point of saturation but it's never enough.

Then there is access to vision of every game played or a merged database of players edits which can be over two hours long.

For state based recruiters, we could end up watching one player 15-18 times during the year. This includes SANFL games (all levels), U18s games (including trials) and add to this, finals football. Then add the training sessions attended. It can get to the point of saturation but it's never enough.

Then there is access to vision of every game played or a merged database of players edits which can be over two hours long.

Can I ask how you became a recruiter at this level ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT - Thomas, Blee, D. Butcher, Ebert, Hoskins, Slater, Stewart, Pfeiffer

IN - Polec, White, Impey, Harvey, Byrne-Jones, Amon, Russell, Gray, Flynn

You would hope that is a win

Realistically Brett is the only loss that could hurt us, but that loss has been diminished because of his injuries & inability to play in 2013

Stewart replaced by Harvey
Thomas replaced by White
D. Butcher replaced by Impey
Brett Ebert replaced by Amon
Hoskin replaced by Byrne-Jones
Pfeiffer replaced by Russell
Blee not replaced
Salter not replaced

Polec, Gray & Flynn are added

So numbers wise our tall forwards are status quo
Small forwards are status quo
Midfield options have improved
Small defender options have improved

But tall defender options have declined

Overall summary of changes to club's list at end of 2013. Most goals are shared around a team and not by having a key forward, plus if your defence is good you don't need to kick that much to win.

Source

PORT ADELAIDE

INS: Matt White (f/a), Jared Polec (t), Karl Amon (d), Darcy Byrne-Jones (d), Mitchell Harvey (d), Jarman Impey (d), Daniel Flynn (r), Sam Gray (r), Brent Renouf (r), Sam Russell (r).
OUTS: Nathan Blee (del), Danny Butcher (del), Justin Hoskin (del), Darren Pfeiffer (del), Nick Salter (del), Daniel Stewart (del), Matt Thomas (del).
STRENGTHS: The Power were after pace at the end of the season and have added plenty of it through former Richmond speedster White, Polec and draftees Impey, Byrne-Jones and Amon. They also wanted to find another tall forward option – enter Mitch Harvey. With Harvey's versatility, the Power now have two young prospects (Mason Shaw) as well as the hope that John Butcher can turn his career around.
WEAKNESSES: The addition of Harvey looks a good one and Shaw has been developing well in the SANFL, but the club didn't manage to add a proven attacking target who can support Jay Schulz from round one. Polec could provide good run and carry from half back if he's fit, but if he struggles again with injury and the likes of Lewis Stevenson and Campbell Heath can't find form, the transition from defence to offence could prove a trouble spot. - Harry Thring.

More

I hope we draft Aliir Aliir.

196cm/90kg
5/9/94
East Fremantle
Tall defender
Tall defender born in Kenya of Sudanese heritage who has developed into a rebounding defender but can also go forward and kick goals. Strong overhead, with good natural leap. Moved from Queensland to WA this year and has represented both states in the AFL U18 Champs in the last two years.
Good call

Toby Nankervis's draft year. Missed the chance on getting a 3 time premiership ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back