Racing The All Star Mile

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
no need to change qualifying rules for nomination. Needs to be a selection process of open pool if not then voting pointless just make a 5mil wfa race. Just don’t make the owners race for something if they’re genuinely not up to it

Only reason the slugs were in was garunteed 75k just to win a vote.

Feb 18, 2008
Nowra
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No, I just think a minimum BM, say 100 for mature horses and 70-80 for 3yo’s. Too many variables to definitely have won a race. Is 3-4 G1 placings inferior to a Sale Cup win? No it isn’t.

Makes sense

The other options are limiting prize money to top 6-7 placed and loading up a nom fee to say 10-20k which would make the scrubbers back off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Nothing needs changing bar how far down prize money is paid. It was a success imo and if horses like Winx and TAS accepted to go there then another 2 of the no hopers wouldn't have gotten in. I'm perfectly fine with a couple no hopers getting a run if they can though, the whole point of the race is it's a popularity contest to see who gets in and if you start putting restrictions on it then what is even the point. So long as last place isn't collecting 70k or what ever for running around then most of the plodders aren't going to bother turning up just to get a kick in the guts to their confidence

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
What I'd do next year.

1. Increase number of wildcards. Keep selected horses at 10 but increase wildcards to 6 making 16 horse race.
2. Restrict prizemoney down to 10th.
3. Increase rating to 90 for mature horses. Keep at 70 for 3yo.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
90 is too high. just keep at 70. hurts no one having a few average horses in the races no one remembers them in time and gives the authentic voting system feel. go through the tail to most g1 fields they all have them and if the horses being nommed want to race against the good horses with the threat they will miss out on prizemoney they can do for every other g1 race where the bm70 rule applies.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
fwiw Azkadellia 4yo autumn mare would have been ineligible under the bm90 rules. that was the first horse i checked so im sure there will be more.

actually i lie she may have been re-rated to above in the Myer.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have no problem with prizemoney paid til last but maybe stagger it so last only receives about 10k or something so they can race for something. I dont really want more wildcards either as it defeats the purpose of the race.
I said it before and will say it again. have 3 more all "star" races and call them "all ordinary" over 1200 1600 and 2000 for a million dollars restriced to horses between 55 and 75 ratings. You will get horses nominated from all over Australia and heaps more entries cos they will avoid the big race and you will get the poor folk dream of winning a million dollar race. It will make the day huge.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Have no problem with prizemoney paid til last but maybe stagger it so last only receives about 10k or something so they can race for something. I dont really want more wildcards either as it defeats the purpose of the race.
I said it before and will say it again. have 3 more all "star" races and call them "all ordinary" over 1200 1600 and 2000 for a million dollars restriced to horses between 55 and 75 ratings. You will get horses nominated from all over Australia and heaps more entries cos they will avoid the big race and you will get the poor folk dream of winning a million dollar race. It will make the day huge.

nah, too big a syndicates will dominate.

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks
fwiw Azkadellia 4yo autumn mare would have been ineligible under the bm90 rules. that was the first horse i checked so im sure there will be more.

actually i lie she may have been re-rated to above in the Myer.

Azkadellia was rated 100 after Myer win.

90 is not a high threshold to meet. Balf's Choice and Man of His Word would have still been able to run. Mr Money Bags and Urban Ruler out.

AvantGardener

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Just have people vote their top 10 instead of 1. That may I will also vote for Hartnell, Alizee, Happy Clapper etc so those good horses will still get plenty of votes rather than having to choose just one. The good horses will end up with 50,000+ votes while Balfs Choice, Urban Ruler etc will still be stuck on 9000 and even your Land of Plenties and Le Romain will end up on 20,000+ votes. You still maintain the concept that it is voted for by the public.

Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Just have people vote their top 10 instead of 1. That may I will also vote for Hartnell, Alizee, Happy Clapper etc so those good horses will still get plenty of votes rather than having to choose just one. The good horses will end up with 50,000+ votes while Balfs Choice, Urban Ruler etc will still be stuck on 9000 and even your Land of Plenties and Le Romain will end up on 20,000+ votes. You still maintain the concept that it is voted for by the public.
Thats a good idea
but only your top vote counts for the horse you vote for for the $250k prize

Surkin

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
France
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Knicks

I like it.

What I'd do next year.

1. Increase number of wildcards. Keep selected horses at 10 but increase wildcards to 6 making 16 horse race.
2. Restrict prizemoney down to 10th.
3. Increase rating to 90 for mature horses. Keep at 70 for 3yo.

Also the next two renditions are at Caulfield and the Valley so if anything you would want to be cutting the field size not increasing it. At least at Flemo there is plenty of time to get out of the way of the plodders.

Voting for 10 horses would be a pain in the ass and completely waters down your favourite

How about each voter gets awarded 365 points they can allocate to 70 horses with each horse attracting no more than 99 of those votes.

Apr 30, 2007
Drouin
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Steelers
Too simple. Needs to be more complex

I was just thinking that.

2 horses have to be 100 votes.
1 horse has to be 99 votes.
67 horses receive 1 consolation vote per voter. (mandatory)

Should streamline the process pretty smartly if you factor in the weighting % between horses that have 99-100 votes of x3.5 and the horse that have 1 vote of x7.2, and you're only eligible to win a $3000 prize if one of your 1 vote horse makes it into the field an runs 7th behind at least 3 geldings, 1 entire, 1 filly and a ridgling. Votes are capped per horse overall at 18,000,000 and that figure gets you straight in the field, providing the order of entry based on colour x jockey age allows.

Back