Current The Alleged Rape of Staffer Brittany Higgins at Parliament House

Remove this Banner Ad

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Former Liberal staffer Brittany Higgins has made a formal complaint to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) alleging rape in Parliament House.

Ms Higgins alleges she was sexually assaulted by a colleague inside then-defence industry minister Linda Reynold's office two years ago.

Power Raid

TheBrownDog
Oct 15, 2004
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Former Liberal staffer Brittany Higgins has made a formal complaint to the Australian Federal Police (AFP) alleging rape in Parliament House.

Ms Higgins alleges she was sexually assaulted by a colleague inside then-defence industry minister Linda Reynold's office two years ago.

So much of this I don't like.

Rapes should be reported as soon as practical. This applies to the victim but also anyone that becomes aware of the incident.

Calling for political interference is not appropriate, either way.

Claiming video evidence was not provided on request is appropriate. Rather security in parliament should have advised her due to privacy laws, you have to make a complaint to the police and the police will request the evidence.

Sadly everyone is a loser here accept the alleged rapist, who will almost certainly get away without penalty.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It might be about to get even messier. Dutton's already on the back foot claiming Scotty wasn't informed because it was 'operational' confirming he was across an investigation but ... there are unconfirmed reports the alleged offender left the country this week.

BFew

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
there are unconfirmed reports the alleged offender left the country this week.
'Police are yet to speak to the man, who is a dual national. Government sources say he will not be allowed to leave the country.'

I hope those un-named Government Sources are correct in this alleged serial rapist dual national still being in Australia.

I imagine if there were no Government approvals required to exit the country at the moment, that the alleged offender might well have made it to the USA before he could be interviewed, arrested or charged.

And envisage that Ms Higgins would have not forewarned her accused rapist or anyone (including any Police) in any possibly way that she was, or might be about to go public on the March 2019 alleged rape event, had she not been assured that he would have great difficulty in exiting Australia before he could be interviewed, arrested or charged.

The accused would have likely had a window of opportunity to exit Australia for good before COVID-19 travel restrictions came in earlier in 2020, and obviously didn't.

lissimmo

Rookie
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
'Police are yet to speak to the man, who is a dual national. Government sources say he will not be allowed to leave the country.'

I hope those un-named Government Sources are correct in this alleged serial rapist dual national still being in Australia.

I imagine if there were no Government approvals required to exit the country at the moment, that the alleged offender might well have made it to the USA before he could be interviewed, arrested or charged.

And envisage that Ms Higgins would have not forewarned her accused rapist or anyone (including any Police) in any possibly way that she was, or might be about to go public on the March 2019 alleged rape event, had she not been assured that he would have great difficulty in exiting Australia before he could be interviewed, arrested or charged.

The accused would have likely had a window of opportunity to exit Australia for good before COVID-19 travel restrictions came in earlier in 2020, and obviously didn't.
I've heard through sources he has already left the country. Any idea who it is? apparently a member of the evanjalist church

GreyCrow

TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Like PR I am not a fan of allegations being made long after the incident

But I also wonder , given the nature of the work place , if the allegations were made at the time and nothing was done at that time - hence the desire for revelations

I have seen where 2 more women have made allegations against the same person

If you search twitter you can see his name

But I better ask my wife

lissimmo

Rookie
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Like PR I am not a fan of allegations being made long after the incident

But I also wonder , given the nature of the work place , if the allegations were made at the time and nothing was done at that time - hence the desire for revelations

I have seen where 2 more women have made allegations against the same person

If you search twitter you can see his name

But I better ask my wife
I've found him, named on a lefty page. There is only one mention of him looks like everything has been removed from online about this person.The incident happened a week before the Federal election, imagine if it had of got out then.

utility

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
... there are unconfirmed reports the alleged offender left the country this week.
Exemptions are not difficult to obtain, and with connections he would have no problems getting one.

Would be a massive political scandal though, if government ministers aided an accused (serial) rapist to leave the country without a valid reason.

GreyCrow

TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Redskins , White Sox
Not sure if it is the name on Twitter. There's also a DoD press release that seems to explain that it couldn't have been him.
Except for the wipe down of his online

That alone draws suspicion. You have the right to not have a digital presence but it seems his has been professionally cleaned and only since the allegations arose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lissimmo

Rookie
Mar 18, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Except for the wipe down of his online

That alone draws suspicion. You have the right to not have a digital presence but it seems his has been professionally cleaned and only since the allegations arose
Yep very dodgy, looks like there was an application also made to remove content about this person.

ilikeclouds

Rookie
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Clearly yous guys have never been a victim of sexual assault or rape, let alone in the workplace. 10+ years I still haven't reported it and have only told one single person. It's not uncommon for those of sexual assault and/or rape to not come forward for years, let alone go public - hell I'd say more rapes & assaults go unreported because of comments like the above.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Clearly yous guys have never been a victim of sexual assault or rape, let alone in the workplace. 10+ years I still haven't reported it and have only told one single person. It's not uncommon for those of sexual assault and/or rape to not come forward for years, let alone go public - hell I'd say more rapes & assaults go unreported because of comments like the above.
I think most women or all of them that I know, have been a victim of a sexual assault at some point in their lives and I do understand why the majority I would suggest, do not come forward for a long time if ever and for a multitude of reasons.

Hopefully, it will become easier for us to come forward but I didn't read any of the above comments as condemnation for not doing so straight away. In a safer more ideal world, we wouldn't hesitate.

daniologist

trainee
Sep 22, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm with you on that one. There are so many reasons that victim/survivors don't report either at the time, or later. Even much later, there are still reasons why some people choose not to report. And bearing in mind that they didn't have the choice to be a victim/survivor, no-one should try to take away their choice not to relive the experience. Instead of saying 'why didn't she report it?', try saying 'I want to change things so that she felt safe to report it at the time'.

Take away the reasons for not reporting, so that every instance of sexual assault was reported, and we'd see a very different perspective of the #metoo movement.

Grace Tame gave a great address to the National Press Club today.

BFew

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like Reynolds might be about to get shuffled along to assist the Minister for Agriculture, when she returns from her sick/stress leave.

'Defence Minister Linda Reynolds called Brittany Higgins a ‘lying cow’'
2 minutes ago March 3, 2021

Defence Minister Linda Reynolds referred to Brittany Higgins as a “lying cow” in front of staff members, after her former media adviser went public about an alleged rape in Parliament House.
Senator Reynolds made the comment in the open part of her office on February 15 and it was heard by several staff members, some of whom are public servants on secondment from the Department of Defence.

...defence industry figures question whether she should remain in her portfolio.

...The Australian understands staff expressed concerns to superiors that the Defence Minister’s comments were inappropriate. Senator Reynolds later addressed her staff to apologise for remarks she said had been made during “a stressful time” for everyone in the office. The minister declined to answer The Australian’s questions about the alleged incident, first put to her on Tuesday. Her spokeswoman said she would respond next week after returning to work.

Remove this Banner Ad