Round 5: VM v Allies at Simonds Stadium, Wed July 5 @ 2.10pm

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
As most will know by now, the Allies are a best of side made up from all six teams who took part in Division 2 of the Championships. Mostly players linked to the much loved Academies, although there are a few players who aren't this year. They've named their preliminary squad, which will be cut down after a final practice match on May 28...

Preliminary squad

NSW-ACT (GWS academy): Nicholas Shipley, Brendan Myers, Jack Powell, Nathan Richards, Jarrod Brander, Alex Paech, Daniel Johnston, Laine Fitzgerald, Doultan Langlands, Jy Lane, Tom Highmore, Charlie Spargo

NSW-ACT (Sydney academy): Luke Skrivanic, Nick Blakey*, James Bell, Michael Carroll, Harrison Carr, Luke Robertson, Jarrod Osborne, Jake Brown, Jack Hardman

Queensland (Gold Coast academy): Brodie Foster, Brayden Crossley, Harry Simmington, Jacob Dawson, Bailey Scott*, Sam Davidson, Damien Burke, Timakoi Bowie, Caleb Graham*, Kwaby Boakye

Queensland (Brisbane Lions academy): Connor Ballenden, Jack Payne, Jack Clayton, Ben Sloan

Tasmania: Chayce Jones*, Tarryn Thomas*, Hugh Dixon, Thomas Mundy, Jake Hinds, Nicholas Hutchinson

Northern Territory: Rodney Baird, Zac Bailey, Matthew Green*, Jeremiah Scrutton, Tony Olango, Adam Sambono, Dominic Grant

A few surprises in the Allies squad, mainly who missed out. From Tasmania, 19 year olds Harrison Pearce and Zac Buechner can consider themselves desperately unlucky not to be named. Both would have been in my starting 22, so it's a real surprise to see them not even feature. Connor Owen-Auburn is another overaged player I'd have had in the mix. Key defender Mitchell Rogers from NSW is another exclusion, he was one of the better peformed defenders across the whole of the Division 2 Championships. I'd imagine his height counted against him, with a number of players his size and ability.

The biggest shock is Adam Sambono from the NT. He didn't play in Division 2, and he's just recently turned 20. So he required special permission from the AFL to be named. But he's never played in the underage system before. A medium forward at 184cm and 79kg, he has kicked 21 goals from 6 matches for the NT Thunder.

Otherwise, it's much as expected. The 'big' names are all there, despite some having a quiet or interrupted Division 2 Championships - like Alex Paech, Tarryn Thomas and Dominic Grant.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
As most will know by now, the Allies are a best of side made up from all six teams who took part in Division 2 of the Championships. Mostly players linked to the much loved Academies, although there are a few players who aren't this year. They've named their preliminary squad, which will be cut down after a final practice match on May 28...

Preliminary squad

A few surprises in the Allies squad, mainly who missed out. From Tasmania, 19 year olds Harrison Pearce and Zac Buechner can consider themselves desperately unlucky not to be named. Both would have been in my starting 22, so it's a real surprise to see them not even feature. Connor Owen-Auburn is another overaged player I'd have had in the mix. Key defender Mitchell Rogers from NSW is another exclusion, he was one of the better peformed defenders across the whole of the Division 2 Championships. I'd imagine his height counted against him, with a number of players his size and ability.

The biggest shock is Adam Sambono from the NT. He didn't play in Division 2, and he's just recently turned 20. So he required special permission from the AFL to be named. But he's never played in the underage system before. A medium forward at 184cm and 79kg, he has kicked 21 goals from 6 matches for the NT Thunder.

Otherwise, it's much as expected. The 'big' names are all there, despite some having a quiet or interrupted Division 2 Championships - like Alex Paech, Tarryn Thomas and Dominic Grant.
Fewer Sydney players than I thought there would be. In fact the squad almost looks like it was picked before the championships.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
From Sydney I think Sam Wicks and Bailey Stewart must have just missed out. Along with Mitchell Rogers they both had excellent campaigns. Wicks also featured strongly for the Swans reserves last week in Canberra with 2 goals, 15 disposals and 6 tackles.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Good numbers for Wicks. He was fair bit ahead of Carr and Osborne who were the 19 year olds who made the Allies, and also played reserves.

j3LJxcQ.png

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Preliminary squad

Thomas's didn't play a game for Tassie in the Div 2 this year I don't think, he's just come back from a knee injury suffered in the TSL just after the Danniher/Weitering game. Think his first game back was on Saturday.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see interrupted.

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Presumably the asterisks by players' names signifies they are underage (ie eligible for the draft in 2018)? If so, I believe Hardman (Swans academy) is eligible this year - by a single day. His birthday is listed as 31/12.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Presumably the asterisks by players' names signifies they are underage (ie eligible for the draft in 2018)? If so, I believe Hardman (Swans academy) is eligible this year - by a single day. His birthday is listed as 31/12.

Right you are. I knew he was young, just not young enough.

Fewer Sydney players than I thought there would be. In fact the squad almost looks like it was picked before the championships.

I'm not too surprised at the lack of Sydney players. They won because they were a great team, not because they had great players. Bailey Stewart and Mitchell Rogers could have been picked, but there are probably a handful of players from other states who could consider themselves more unlucky.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2017/05/28/u18-trial-vic-countryvic-metroallies-scouting-notes/
U18 trial Vic Country/Vic Metro/Allies scouting notes

It was a cold and wet finish to a mostly sunny day at Ikon Park today – hosting Vic Country v Allies and Vic Metro v Allies final trial games in the lead up to the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships.

Both Victorian teams were severely understrength with a majority of their ‘best 22’ being left out of the contest, playing school football or were managed – while the Allies split their squad in half to help select their final squad.

Matt Balmer’s scouting notes:

Game 1:
VIC COUNTRY 3.5 5.8 7.13 11.14 (80)
ALLIES 2.1 4.3 4.3 6.5 (41)

GOALS:
VIC COUNTRY: Meek 2, Johnston 2, Garoni 2, Floyd, McHenry, Miers, Butts, Jones
ALLIES: Sambono 2, Burke, Scott, Bailey, Richards

Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.29.52-AM.png

Allies:

#4 Jacob Dawson – Possesses really good hands in close at the stoppages. Kicking does need some work as at times he just banged it forward. Some of his other kicks around the ground did hang in the air, rather than being pinpoint and resulted in a few being spoiled. Inside work is good and wins clearances.

#5 Zac Bailey – One of the clear standouts and the player I was most impressed with through the whole day. Was willing to take the game on, using his speed & agility to move forward. Worked hard all day on the inside at the stoppages and kicked it well on his right foot. Snapped a very good goal in the second quarter.

#6 Bailey Scott – Made some good decisions with ball in hand and provided some run in the middle of the ground. Marks well overhead.

#7 Adam Sambono – Used his speed to chase and lay a great tackle. Is a player that catches the eye and screams X-Factor! Snaps the ball well on either foot and booted two goals – one of which saw him calmly think through a snap, not rushing the chance and putting it through. Is a player that doesn’t need to have too much of the ball to impact a game inside 50.

#8 Jake Brown – One of the leading disposal winners for the Allies, but his ball use was poor. Had multiple clangers and was another at times who just bombed it forward. His voice was good around the ground, barking instructions as an older player in the team and at the stoppages.

#27 Rodney Baird – Very raw footballer who is still learning the game. His decision making is a work-in-progress and was slow in possessing the ball & then disposing of it.

#32 Daniel Johnston – Played up forward and was largely influential. Was beaten in the forward ruck contests and has poor agility. Didn’t find much of the ball through the day. Finished the game well with some solid marks in the last quarter.

#33 Jack Payne – Showed some good signs in defence. Lead up to one play, but overran it attempting to intercept and dropped the mark. He did go to ground too many times early, but his overhead marking got better as the game went on. He was always looking for a switch with ball in hand and I’m looking forward to seeing him play for the Allies in the Under 18 Championships.

#34 Nathan Richards – Shared the ruck duties with Tony Olango. Another who looked a touch off the pace at times and struggled around the ground to win the football. Had a few touches late and won most of the hitouts in the final term. Took an outstanding mark over Patterson in the last quarter.

Game 2:

VIC METRO 2.0 4.0 5.0 6.1 (37)
ALLIES 4.1 6.2 9.4 11.7 (73)

GOALS:
VIC METRO: Jones 2, Petruccelle, Harman, Penrith
ALLIES: Hardman 2, Bell 2, Crossley 2, Fitzgerald, Powell, Dixon, Thomas, Clayton

Screen-Shot-2017-05-28-at-9.42.59-AM.png

Allies
:

#5 Jack Powell – Goes under the radar and just gets the job done. Has a strongly built body and is strong in at the contest. Showed great composure in the opening quarter when he snapped from 40m on an acute angle, taking his time and putting it through when there was no obvious option to pass it off to.

#7 James Bell – One of the Allies’ best in Game 2. Showed some tricks and I really liked his game better than some of his Under 18 Academy Series games. Looked his best across half forward, where he was able to impact the scoreboard booting two goals, getting involved with the contests inside forward 50. Looked lively and one to keep an eye on if he gets a chance.

#8 Jack Clayton – The Brisbane Lions Academy member possesses a nice left foot and his first quarter was one of the better ones I’ve seen him play in a while. Hit a pinpoint pass inside 50 to a teammate and worked hard right around the ground.

#22 Doultan Langlands – Best game I’ve seen him play this year. Was able to impact the game on the outside. Runs well from half back to half forward, and his run down the ground in the second quarter was superb. Spent more time at the stoppages later in the game and is very agile.

#25 Tarryn Thomas – North Melbourne will get a gem next year. Thomas showed some speed playing most of the game inside forward 50. Running down close to the boundary line, he was able to use his vision and hit Hardman in the goal square for a goal assist. Liked his game.

#34 Brayden Crossley – Won most of his one-on-one contests up forward and in the ruck against weaker opponents – but I’m not convinced this will be able to translate at AFL level and will need to work on his endurance. Took some big contested marks, but had a few ugly kicks inside 50.

#35 Connor Ballenden – If you left at three quarter time like some watchers on did you would’ve said Ballenden was poor – but he finished the game respectively well. Struggled further away from goal, but looked his best the closer he was towards goal. At one stage he collected the ball, weaved a few players, ran 20 metres and banged home a goal from just inside 50. Is a good contested mark overhead and I’m hoping he will be at his best in the Under 18 Championships.

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Just a couple of notes on the Allies squad...

Zac Buechner from Tasmania has replaced the injured Chayce Jones, a very good move and he shouldn't have missed in the first place. Also, the squad will not be cut down from the initial 48. Instead 'match day squads' will be picked, so expect to see a lot of changes each week with presumably everyone getting at least one match.

So that makes a best 22 a bit more difficult, but I'd be looking at something like...

b: Jake Hinds - Jack Payne - Jake Brown
hb: Tom Highmore - Jarrod Brander - Doultan Langlands
c: Charlie Spargo - Nicholas Shipley - Sam Davidson
hf: Tarryn Thomas - Nick Blakey - Luke Skrivanic
f: Adam Sambono - Connor Ballenden - Zac Buechner
r: Nathan Richards - Jack Powell - Zac Bailey
i: Tony Olango - Jack Hardman - James Bell - Caleb Graham

Back