FTA-TV Race Across the World/TAR thread

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Nobody watching Race Across the World tonight?

Multiple teams are taking a 24 hour bus ride from Istanbul to Tbilisi. That sounds like a ******* nightmare

Also, I wonder how visas are organised for this show? I doubt Brits can get visa-free entry to all the countries they need to pass through to get to Singapore by road/rail

lol lady if going to Singapore to see where you dad was based when he was in the RAF was so important to you, you wouldn't need a tv show to do it
My dad visited a pub in Auckland that he had visited while on R&R during WWII on his way back to the states after visiting me in 1983. He said that nothing much had changed after almost 40 years.

My first trip to America & Canada was traveling around via Greyhound. A couple of my trips included:

- San Fransisco to Victoria (Vancouver Island) and that was around 30 hours; included an extended break to put chains on the wheels for travelling through snow & a ferry ride once in Canada

- Montreal to Orlando which is about 34 - 38 hours depending schedule - and I dealt with food poisoning on that trip which makes bus travel even more fun

- Orlando to Salt Lake City which is about 52 hours - but we had the fun that as we left on our approach to Dallas we were informed that Texas was hit by ice storms (early January) and that the buses wouldn't be going any further. We ended up heading south and traveling via El Paso & added 24 hours to that trip, so 3 days on a bus

I'll watch this episode later but 24 hours on a bus ain't that bad

That all sounds like hell. Trains >> Buses

It'd imagine Greyhound buses in the US might be better than a cross country one in Turkey/Georgia

The buses tended to be better than the food stops - McDonalds and Taco Bell were the favoured stops. I was always much happier when we stopped somewhere with a cafe or non-mass produced food, even the food options at some of the bus stations were better

Have you ever ridden a bus between Melbourne and Perth? OMG Nothing to see. Luckily I had my trusty Walkman and spare batteries. I don't think I had dim sims or chips for months after that trip since we tended to stop at petrol stations on the way.

I had been living in Perth at the time and since there was a pilots strike on there were no flights to take to Melbourne for the Grand Final in 1989.(Sorry Cats fans.) A group of us from my school rented a car to get us to Melbourne but I decided to stay longer so I had to take a bus back to Perth. The long trip was bad enough, but then I remained living in Perth for another two months. The bus trip was the less horrible to endure. :p

Back