FTA-TV The Amazing Race Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
NEL????????????? Could it be? Final 3 Finale????
Had to be. The finale would suck with just two teams.

However instead of saying pre determined non elimination leg, Beau should of given the teams the next clue to say keep racing, even if it means the route info was to go to the cliff to sleep for the night.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
There has been no point to 10 of the epsodes

Why there has been 10 NEL is beyond me.

If they wanted more episodes put more teams in.

Painful.
They can't really add more teams, as they need episode time to show all teams. They simply made too many episodes, based on Ch10's decision to strip the show for as many weeks as they did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
There has been no point to 10 of the epsodes

Why there has been 10 NEL is beyond me.

If they wanted more episodes put more teams in.

Painful.
I can understand having the odd NEL with a sabotage to mix it up a bit but yesterdays was literally pointless. Especially if there is no staggered start in the final.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I've seen finales go over two legs before so that isn't so bad, it's all the other pointless non elimination legs that they have shoved in that has ruined it.

Having a subjectively scored task like the rap at this stage doesn't sit well with me. As long as each team succeeds on the first try OK I guess.

One of the girls suggesting they rhyme direction with erection was cringeworthy, thankfully the other one realised that wouldn't have gone down well and they tried something else.

Happy with the ending. The cowboys deserved the win. I didn't really like them at the start, but they won me over. Girls, second, would have been worthy winners too. Sikhs were great throughout. Final 3 teams were the best. This series had potential, but was ruined by the number of NELs and a few cringeworthy tasks. I also question having Intruder teams.

Thought all 3 teams really deserved to win.. The girls were stiff, get a good cabbie and they win but that's the way it goes.
Stoked the Cowboys won, I really enjoyed the all season, they broke a few stereotypes as well IMO

Next year though... Geeze cut it to once a week and dump all those damm non elimination legs

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
The cowboys were my least favoured team in the final. Very likeable - I just liked the idea of an ethnically diverse team winning it, or particularly an all female team winning it after the last 5 weeks Australian women have experienced.

I especially loved Amanda carrying 2 bags up the hill and still encouraging Ashleigh.

It sucks when you consider they raced for 20-something legs and they lost cos they had a shitty Canberra cab driver. I hope they know someone who lives in Canberra, as I have before, who can assure them that like 50% of Canberra cabbies would’ve gotten them just as lost. (Canberra airport sucks if you take a wrong turn, or even get in a wrong lane.)

Jan 29, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Forgot to check for a TAR thread this (incredibly long) season.

Thought the casting was excellent, a really great mix of teams but the season was massively compromised by the stowaways. You just can't have new teams in an endurance game. Under any circumstances. The number of NELs clearly a joke too, I wish Australian TV could cope without 3 episodes per week.

I really wanted the girls to win, it's rare that you find such a well rounded, strong team of 2 girls in TAR. I liked the other 2 teams though and very happy for the cowboys, in terms of needing the cash I think they're the best story. Great to see a close final challenge, so many times it's a complete non-event with teams finishing before the others are even there.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
On the series as a whole - I didn't hate that they were contained to Australia. For me, I've not been a regular watcher of the Amazing Race for years, I was only watching this cos it was in Australia (and I had a mate who worked on it). I find it so much more relatable when you recognise the places.

I've long thought the most successful reality tv shows - Masterchef /MKR (cooking), Survivor/Big Brother (being likeable but smart and sneaky), Idol/* Got Talent/DWTS (singing/dancing) - succeed because so many of us think that, if we just committed ourselves to it, that could be us.

An Amazing Race in Australia sort of lends itself to that. They go to places like Tasmania, Cairns and Canberra (sadly they couldn't come to Melbourne) and I'm like "s**t, I'd have such an advantage here!!"

With that said though - I think if they're going to contain it to Australia (and maybe one other nearby country like NZ, PNG, a Pacific Island country), and save a s**t-ton of cash in doing so... a quarter of a mil doesn't seem much in the context of other reality shows.

I'm probably less harsh on the 3-night, repeated NEL format. I bumped into my mate at the dog park yesterday and got chatting - he says they were making this up as they went.

They knew they were starting in Qld, they thought when they started that most of the series would end up being in Qld (hence why they'd set stuff up to go back there), and they wanted to finish their all-Aust series at Kosciuszko, but had a contingency in Brisbane. A whole bunch of other stuff was being made up as they went, which is why there was a bit of repetition in the challenges. They (the shows producers), according to my mate, thought repetition of challenges was better than repetition of locations ie. they preferred 4 different eating challenges in 4 different states than doing 4 original challenges in the same location.

My mate told me - and this checks out when you look back on how state's treated their borders during COVID - they legitimately had no idea where they'd be able to go when they started, and they originally planned a race around Qld. The NT/SA ended up working out for them, NSW only worked out cos of the order of locations they went to, but Tassie fell into their lap and was planned within days of them going, as was the ACT.

One of the major problems I'm told they had, along with border closures, was that a lot of the "touristy" stuff wasn't open. And where it was open, they were literally manufacturing challenges on a couple of days notice by the end. (The challenge in Tassie where they were dropping the ball into the net was apparently manufactured less than 24 hours before it took place.)

When I ran into my mate yesterday he said "I'll text you tomorrow night during the show" (he didn't want to spoil anything.) What he wanted to tell me in "live time" was that they slip and slide was hokey as *, and it was (according to him) a contingency on a contingency on a contingency.

That's not ideal - the final episode, and the slip and slide was apparently something they manufactured the day before when 3 other things fell through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back