The Amnesty Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Lewis. And I used to hate his guts at Hawthorn and was totally against us trading him in. Compare him on 600k in 2017 to Chrish Dawesh on 600k in 2013... Firstly it's cheaper, and secondly he is actually worth having in the side! As Topkent has mentioned, we really haven't had many consistent senior players for the last decade. Yeah he's no spring chicken but his game awareness is better than anyone else on our list. That matters, especially in such a young side. And if we play in September watch him go to another level.

I fully expect him to be a different player later in the season. He's a September operator.

And it's great that we aren't relying on him (Lewis) to win us game after game. You get these guys to help the kids develop, and Trac, Oliver, Hunt, Hannan, ANB, Stretch are all developing beautifully. Having good senior players fosters that. Compare that to the development of our juniors pre-Roos.

I fully expect him to be a different player later in the season. He's a September operator.
It's such a positive sign that we have a positive win/loss record so far this season despite not having Gawn and Hogan most of the year, and with Lewis in about third gear. Weve done so much better than I expected without those two and with no back-up ruck.

Very pissed at Striker475 for starting the thread on the mainboard about Clayton Oliver. Has basically turned any mention of him into a running joke for all eternity on BF - all that "unprecedented" crap.

I make a motion that none of us can start a thread about our own players on the mainboard - it will never work out well.

Yeah he is ... I'm interested to see how he performs today being absolutely aware of how much of a stinker he had last week.
He was pretty filthy on 360

Very pissed at Striker475 for starting the thread on the mainboard about Clayton Oliver. Has basically turned any mention of him into a running joke for all eternity on BF - all that "unprecedented" crap.

I make a motion that none of us can start a thread about our own players on the mainboard - it will never work out well.

Yeah people see him as a joke rather than a superstar young teenager. Oh well. Help us win a final and people will forget

Yeah people see him as a joke rather than a superstar young teenager. Oh well. Help us win a final and people will forget
Unfortunately that's as much about BigFooty as anything. Yeah, it's a meme, but he really is historic in what he is doing. Two years ago the whole place was raving about Cripps - yet Oliver is better. 19 years old and 25 games and he's top 10 in the AFLCA vote?

Unfortunately that's as much about BigFooty as anything. Yeah, it's a meme, but he really is historic in what he is doing. Two years ago the whole place was raving about Cripps - yet Oliver is better. 19 years old and 25 games and he's top 10 in the AFLCA vote?

Yeah but you have to let the other flogs realize it them self.

Yeah but you have to let the other flogs realize it them self.
Here's the thing...they don't.

How many Melbourne players can the average BF flog name on demand? Hogan, Gawn, Jones, Watts, Viney...maybe Trac, maybe Garlett. Inside mids already fly under the radar.

But it's the same with Essendon. Beyond Zerrett and Tippa I can't name any of their kids off the top. Same with Carlton. North I can barely name any of their players off the top. And that's without getting into the interstate sides.

They just don't realise.

Here's the thing...they don't.

How many Melbourne players can the average BF flog name on demand? Hogan, Gawn, Jones, Watts, Viney...maybe Trac, maybe Garlett. Inside mids already fly under the radar.

But it's the same with Essendon. Beyond Zerrett and Tippa I can't name any of their kids off the top. Same with Carlton. North I can barely name any of their players off the top. And that's without getting into the interstate sides.

They just don't realise.

Because a lot of our kids don't deserve any more than that because they haven't done anything. But when we play them and Oliver tears them apart they'll know

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're totally right - it is a statement about BF more than anything. What you said about Oliver was fine actually - although a little hyped IMO. The problem was really just that now we can't read anything on the mainboard about him without people taking the piss out of him. I think that's a shame for the kid. If you made that post on our board I'd say no worries. Topkent said - gotta let the flogs discover things for themselves.

I agree Lewis hasn't been an amazing match winner, but I don't have a problem with him being in the team. I don't think we have room for him and Bernie though, and some of Bernie's decisions between this and last season have me wondering if he has some early onset dementia going on. He should be pulling the pin at the end of the year; and if Goodwin doesn't drop him before then, I'll be disappointed.

* Remember, this is the amnesty thread

Every time people talk about Hogan coming back, it seems like there's an automatic assumption that Pedersen goes out. Right at this moment Pedro offers just as much to our side as Jesse Hogan would if he were available. He's more versatile and gives 100% effort all the time. I'd like to see Jesse earn his spot and force Pedersen out with form when he comes back, rather than our selectors just going, "oh, Hogan's back, sorry Pedo". It shouldn't be that automatic.

* Remember, this is the amnesty thread

Every time people talk about Hogan coming back, it seems like there's an automatic assumption that Pedersen goes out. Right at this moment Pedro offers just as much to our side as Jesse Hogan would if he were available. He's more versatile and gives 100% effort all the time. I'd like to see Jesse earn his spot and force Pedersen out with form when he comes back, rather than our selectors just going, "oh, Hogan's back, sorry Pedo". It shouldn't be that automatic.

Plus pedo can play ruck and puts on forward pressure. Jesse is one dimensional and isn't yet better than an average key forward.

Plus pedo can play ruck and puts on forward pressure. Jesse is one dimensional and isn't yet better than an average key forward.
Jesse is better than an average key forward IMO, but he does need to improve a lot defensively. Plus we can become too predictable when he's playing because he's such an obvious option for the ball carrier. In his favour he's a very smart footballer and gives away as many goals as he kicks just through smart play.

Jesse is better than an average key forward IMO, but he does need to improve a lot defensively. Plus we can become too predictable when he's playing because he's such an obvious option for the ball carrier. In his favour he's a very smart footballer and gives away as many goals as he kicks just through smart play.

Average sounds offensive but there are only really 20 key forwards in the AFL and at present I wouldn't have him in the top 5
Buddy/Lynch/Walker/Daniher/Hawkins/JRoo/Kennedy are better players at this stage so that puts him in the average category.

Just think he's not that good as a stay at home forward so he needs to become a roaming CHF who has 25 touch 2 goal games not 12 touch 6 goal games.

To be fair, Jesse isn't one dimensional. He runs through the middle quite a lot, perhaps to his detriment.

To be fair, Jesse isn't one dimensional. He runs through the middle quite a lot, perhaps to his detriment.

He's not one dimensional like Hawkins but he can't play as a ruck or a midfielder so he's essentially 'just' a forward. He will play a lot better when he can roam up the ground and someone can sit in the goal square.

I think, given recent revelations about his pers life, we can all agree that the boy has never really yet had a proper run at things (despite being a 5th year player now, correct me if I'm wrong).

It will be great to see him back fit and healthy, with a mended or at least improving headspace, and let him settle in and show us over several months the answers to some of these questions.

Despite fearing some initial disruption when he returns, I'm still confident we can build this team around him to go to the next level.

My Higgins avatar punishment is finally over - I sincerely apologise for any distress that it may have caused any of you over the past month. However, the respite may be short-lived as I fully intend to invite Norf supporters to bet again in Round 19. This will continue until we have beaten them. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back