The Annual 'Who Don't You Want Your Club Draft' Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Might do a Grundy in terms of sliding. There's something very Ayce Cordy about English for mine, his slight frame is a bit of a worry.
He reminds me more of Jack Watts. He's a fantastic athlete and super skilled. Both are very nice attributes, but what exactly do they have to do with being an AFL ruckman? Watts has always had fantastic foot skills but had to be shuffled around the ground and fed the ball because he didn't have the key forward skills. I can see English playing CHB or even dropping out from the ruck and playing loose behind the ball to get in to the game.

Gawn had 7 kicks a game this year. Goldy 6.5 last year. Nic Nat can probably go a full game without kicking a drop punt and play a great game. Their kicking isn't important.

He's certainly going to take time and there's a chance by 2022 he's the next Dean Cox and every club is wanting a 204cm extra midfielder who can run and carry and hit targets inside 50. But there must also be a chance his 3 extra nice drop punts a game when he's 25 aren't worth the years where he was beaten in ruck contests and pushed around in the air and on the ground by Mumford types.

Wells, what is this, 2006? Not too many of Wright's recent draft picks are really leaping out at me as being anything special either.
To be fair to Wells with Geelongs long run of success and heavy trading. Wells is having to do most of his work at the backend of the drafts

To be fair to Wells with Geelongs long run of success and heavy trading. Wells is having to do most of his work at the backend of the drafts
He found a bunch of serious quality with similar type picks 15 or so years ago though. Guys like Chapman at 31, Ling at 38, Enright at 47, Kelly at 17, Stevie J at 24, etc.

Might do a Grundy in terms of sliding. There's something very Ayce Cordy about English for mine, his slight frame is a bit of a worry.
He reminds me more of Jack Watts. He's a fantastic athlete and super skilled. Both are very nice attributes, but what exactly do they have to do with being an AFL ruckman? Watts has always had fantastic foot skills but had to be shuffled around the ground and fed the ball because he didn't have the key forward skills. I can see English playing CHB or even dropping out from the ruck and playing loose behind the ball to get in to the game.

Gawn had 7 kicks a game this year. Goldy 6.5 last year. Nic Nat can probably go a full game without kicking a drop punt and play a great game. Their kicking isn't important.

He's certainly going to take time and there's a chance by 2022 he's the next Dean Cox and every club is wanting a 204cm extra midfielder who can run and carry and hit targets inside 50. But there must also be a chance his 3 extra nice drop punts a game when he's 25 aren't worth the years where he was beaten in ruck contests and pushed around in the air and on the ground by Mumford types.

Kepler Bradley is the other one. He is a tall flanker.

We keep being linked with Jack Maibaum. Gee I hope not. Looks like Tom Simpkin to me - tough and competitive, but too short at AFL level.

In general no rucks or KPFs for the Saints. None of English, Marshall, Hayward, Battle excite me enough to want them on our list, given we already have Paddy, Bruce, Membrey who are younger than 25. Patrick Kerr especially, I reckon his absolute ceiling is Shane Kersten-quality but he's likely to be well below that.

Also don't desperately want another inside mid, and there seem to be a lot of them around. A real shame about Villis because he could have suited our needs well, poor kid.

Todd Marshall, Jarrod Berry, Josh Battle (after reading Quigley's review), Cedric Cox, vanilla balanced mids like Scharenberg (although I would like Kobe Mutch), Pat Kerr seems like a one-trick pony to me too.

Don't want

5 - Brodie
25 - Gallucci, Battle or Kerr

On the basis of SPS and Taranto being available at that selection? I wouldn't be unhappy with any of those 3.

Agree with the other three: Galluci's kicking skills are a worry and Battle and Kerr just aren't that impressive.

On the basis of SPS and Taranto being available at that selection? I wouldn't be unhappy with any of those 3.

Agree with the other three: Galluci's kicking skills are a worry and Battle and Kerr just aren't that impressive.
Heh. If the draft goes as I think it will, SPS and Taranto will be Gold Coast/GWS bound.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English, I don't think he is a guaranteed to be a good ruck and Pick 7 is too early for him.
he's a conundrum. Much like Grundy a few years ago and the Pies got a steal in the end.
7 presents an opportunity for other talents.
SPS may still be there (unlikely). Florent (though presents a flight risk).
And there is Goddard who can be taken late. I'd be surprised though not shocked if he came in at 7.

If we go McGrath, i'd hope we avoid Battle @ 20 and look to a pure mid at that point.
If we go McCluggage, then Battle @ 20 would be good. I like the way these two play off each other.

Yes seems like I am still on my own regarding Brodie. If the top 3 remain he same, McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth and leaving the Academy kids out of it

I would rather Taranto, SPS, even Scrimshaw

my tip for top 5 (before you get to pick) is:
1.McGrath (EFC)
2.Bowes (4 is used to match) (GCS)
3.McCluggage (GWS)
4.Setterfield (15 used to match) (GWS)
5.Ainsworth

Taranto, SPS, Brodie @ your pick.
Hard call.

Wouldn't be for me

I would take Taranto, best dual role player of those 3, followed by SPS, tantalising skills

Wouldn't be for me

I would take Taranto, best dual role player of those 3, followed by SPS, tantalising skills
fair call
I think brodie is undersold though. He doesnt have the flash of the other two, but he looks like an elite workhorse inside mid already.
Cripps + Brodie in your midfield sets you up nicely at the drop of the ball for a long time.

fair call
I think brodie is undersold though. He doesnt have the flash of the other two, but he looks like an elite workhorse inside mid already.
Cripps + Brodie in your midfield sets you up nicely at the drop of the ball for a long time.

I see real flaws in his disposal by hand and foot and for an inside mid, his possession and tackle count aren't high

He needs to improve a few areas, having said that, he will be a solid contributor

After hearing rumours about Florent, I don't want him at the Crows. I ve heard he has pretty much told clubs that have interviewed him he wants to stay in Melbourne. Last thing the crows need is another player that wants to leave.
To be fair on Florent, his dad passed away this year, if there was ever a suitable reason to tell recruiters he would prefer to stay close to his family in Melbourne, that would be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back