The articles thread

Sep 7, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I'd take either to be fair. But for me, if you'd ask me whether I'd rather City going unbeaten next season with 90 points, or lose a game and get 95 i'll go with the points.
Even if both guaranteed a title? Wouldn't want to be part of the incredible history knowing you'd be champion?

Fair enough, i guess everyone's a little different.

Sound like DB :p

It could, yes, but is next to impossible IMO

My point being that like Moomba is saying, whilst it's cool and certainly an achievement to go undefeated, recording the highest points total is more of an achievement.

Putting my above comment another way, a team could go five games 'unbeaten' recording five draws in the process, while another side could lose three of their last five and still have more points and arguably be in better form (depending on who they lose to I guess).

In general terms yes.

However we were discussing two champion sides where the difference is not being beaten or having more points. Having less points/more draws didn't stop the Gunners being champion.

I know, and I'm agreeing with Moomba that the better achievement is getting more points. I was using other examples to illustrate why simply celebrating going 38 games unbeaten - while impressive - isn't as impressive as getting more points.

I'll definitely agree to disagree on that.

No other club has been champion and gone through the season undefeated. To me that's a bigger effort. You and Moomba see it differently.

Don't think there's a right or wrong answer tbh.

So if a club got 38 draws and was relegated without a win would that make them the worst? :p Similar sort of logic really. One perspective looks at a draw as avoiding a loss, the other is failing to get a win.

No club is getting 38 draws ever haha.

Not similar logic. My logic, both clubs end up champions. 1 club doesn't lose all season, 1 does.

You're kind of missing the point but never mind.

BlueBen

Premiership Player
Jul 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
I can see both sides of the argument and I don't think either is right or wrong but, for mine, there is a certain mystique attached to going undefeated over a long period of time, particularly in a sport in which the margins are so fine.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Going unbeaten for a whole season is surely a greater achievement. How many points did Chelsea pick up in the 04/05 campaign against teams that were demoralised and/or relegated? That's money for jam. Going unbeaten is clearly a more difficult achievement with only 1 club doing it in the last 100+ years. I'd certainly prefer myself personally to win a title unbeaten then get the highest points tally.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Money for jam?

Arsenal would have faced teams in the same demorilised/relegated teams too wouldn't they.

Yes but they managed to go 38 games without being beaten by anyone. The fact that it has only been done once in the last 100+ years suggests IMO that it is a much more difficult achievement to accomplish IMO.

How many times has 95 points been reached in a 38 games season?

Theres arguments for both sides. It's not really that important though, and like most "who is better" debates it'll just depend on your own perspective on whats important.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Yes but they managed to go 38 games without being beaten by anyone. The fact that it has only been done once in the last 100+ years suggests IMO that it is a much more difficult achievement to accomplish IMO.

It was more your reasoning, that we had an easier run which made no sense.

I think Arsenals is a greater achievement too(but only just), but we and them both had the same opportunities and they are both amazing achievements.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Both are fantastic achievements at the end of the day.

Yes, but one achivement gets a gold trophy, while the other is a regular silver one.

51204716-patrick-vieira-holds-up-a-specially-gettyimages.jpg

Back