ICC The Ashes: An Australian Cricket Story

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_3037.JPG
November 5th, 2017
Australia lose second T20I to India; Looking forward to the Ashes

IMG_3038.JPG

David Warner raises his bat after half century, but it wasn't enough.

ESPN CricInfo Staff

Australia has drawn with India in the T20I series in India, following a heartbreaking 9 run loss yesterday. India's Shikhar Dhawan was named MOTM, scoring 69* of just 39 balls.

India set a solid total in their innings, leaving Australia needing 165 runs to win. David Warner got the Aussies chase off to a good start, blasting 72 off just 53 balls. Phillip Hughes also managed to make 54 off 47, and the Aussies looked to be on the path to victory.

However, following the wickets of the opening pair, the rest of the Australian batting lineup was unable to complete the task as they finished the 20 overs 9 runs short of India's total.

"It's disappointing obviously," said coach JT_the_Man, "we rested a few with the Ashes starting in a couple of weeks, but that's not an excuse."

Australia will now return home to prepare for the Ashes, with the first Test commencing on November 17th.

Last edited:
IMG_3040.PNG

November 10th, 2017
Gillespie offers his thoughts on who should play the first Ashes test

IMG_3041.JPG

Will James Pattinson get recalled for the Ashes?

Jason Gillespie

With the Ashes fast approaching, the selectors have some tough decisions to make in regards to the lineup in the first test. So I thought, why don't I have a crack at solving this dilemma?

Obviously there are some tough calls to be made. A non-negotiable however has to be David Warner. With a FC batting average of 62.8, you'd have to be insane not to select this man. The man who will occupy the other end of the crease to Warner however, is up for debate. For some time this position has been held by Phillip Hughes, however following a string of mediocre form he was dropped in the last Test against India for young up and comer Jordan Silk. Silk battled hard and knocked a 50 in his first innings, however his second was average at best. Personally, I'd also be looking at Nick Larkin and Joe Burns to see if they can slot into the position. Both have played cricket for their state teams as openers, so why not take advantage of this situation?

At the 3 position, it's hard to go past Steven Smith. The captain averages a touch over 50 with the bat, and provides invaluable leadership to the boys. Moving to the 4, Chris Lynn is another who is a walk-up start. Averaging 53 with the bat, he has proved all doubters wrong so far at the Test level. The 5 is an interesting spot. Most recently occupied by Nick Larkin, but after struggling in India recently, we couldn't go wrong with trying someone else out. Joe Burns has played well recently, as has Kurtis Patterson. Watch this space.

At the 6 which has now turned into an all-rounders spot, it has to be Mitch Marsh. He has been dominant with bat and ball, and the only reason I can see him being dropped is if the selectors want a spinning allrounder such as Glenn Maxwell. James Faulkner is also an outside chance along with overnight sensation Wayne Bradley.

IMG_3042.JPG
Glenn Maxwell in action with the Bushrangers.

For our wicketkeeper, I get the feeling we will stick with Matthew Wade, although pressure is mounting for all the right reasons. While Wade has been great as of late, Sam Whiteman is finally coming into his own and seems to really be pushing for that keeper spot. Ryan Carters may also be considered, however I think he is doubtful.

I fully expect Mitchell Starc to play in the first Test. He has been great with the ball as of late and I see no reason to drop him. Nathan Lyon should have the spinner position locked up unless if the selectors want some extra batting power from Steve O'Keefe.

The other two pacemen are up for debate. Most would expect two of James Pattinson, Josh Hazlewood and Jackson Bird to occupy these positions, however due to both Pattinson and Hazlewood's current lack of form, we could look at other options. The likes of Joe Mennie, Gurinder Sandhu, Jason Behrendorff, Pat Cummins and Chadd Sayers spring to mind.

With that here is my XI.

David Warner, Nick Larkin, Steven Smith (C), Chris Lynn, Joe Burns, Mitchell Marsh, Sam Whiteman (+), Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird.

IMG_3043.PNG

November 12th, 2017​

Chris Lynn out for the first Ashes Test after suffering injury in BBL clash

IMG_3044.JPG

Chris Lynn is out for the first Ashes Test.

Fox Sports Staff Writers

Chris Lynn has been ruled out for the first Ashes Test, following a blow to his finger in last nights BBL clash against the Hobart Hurricanes. The 27-year-old batsmen was going for a diving catch in the outfield, when the ball smashed over the top of his middle finger. Lynn left the field almost immediately.

Doctors confirmed today that Lynn has broken his finger and will be out for 3 weeks.

"It's tough obviously," Lynn said, "I'll just have to get over this as quick as I can and show the selectors I'm ready to play again."

Lynn was expected by many to be a walk up start for the first Ashes Test, and will leave the selectors in a tricky situation.

IMG_3040.PNG

13th November, 2017​

Australia announce 12-man squad for first Ashes Test

IMG_3048.JPG

Usman Khawaja earnt a surprising call-up for the first Test.

Martin Smith

Australia have today announced the 12-man squad for the first Ashes Test. They have made 3 changes from their last Test in India, removing Chris Lynn (injured), Nick Larkin and Steve O'Keefe from the XI. Jordan Silk has managed to retain his position, with coach JT_the_Man opting to give him another chance.

"Jordan played well in India," he said, "We'll reward that with another chance."

Usman Khawaja, Kurtis Patterson and James Pattinson all earnt call-ups to the 12-man squad.

"Some may be surprised with the inclusion of Usman," said coach JT_the_Man, "truth is he has been very unlucky not to have gotten a start in the last few years, and is in great form."

Josh Hazlewood did not make the 12-man squad, with JT_the_Man saying "Once he regains form he will definitely be considered again."

Australia 12-man squad: David Warner, Jordan Silk, Steven Smith (c), Usman Khawaja, Kurtis Patterson, Mitchell Marsh, Matthew Wade (+), Mitchell Starc, James Pattinson, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Gurinder Sandhu (12th man)

IMG_3037.JPG
November 17th, 2017​

Sides announced with Day 1 about to commence

IMG_3052.JPG

Stuart Broad is apart of England's lineup for the first Test.

ESPN CricInfo Staff

The final sides have been announced for the first Test of this Ashes series, with both sides going in with some inexperienced players.

England will play two debutants, Rory Burns and Jack Meyer. Burns is a 27-year-old wicketkeeper from Middlesex, and Meyer is 21-year-old fast bowler from Nottinghamshire. Steve Chambers, a 22-year-old batsmen from Warwickshire is also playing just his second Test match.

Australia will also play two players with little experience, having 25-year-old batsmen Jordan Silk playing his second Test match, along with Kurtis Patterson, a 24-year-old batsmen also in his second Test.

Australia XI

David Warner
Jordan Silk
Steven Smith (c)
Usman Khawaja
Kurtis Patterson
Mitchell Marsh
Matthew Wade (+)
Mitchell Starc
James Pattinson
Nathan Lyon
Jackson Bird