The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Only WTC points on the line here (oh, and of course bragging rights). More play for pride and career status. Hoping for a cracking 5th Test to finish off our summer of international red/pink-ball cricket.

Australia XI: David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins (c), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Scott Boland

England XI: Rory Burns, Zak Crawley, Dawid Malan, Joe Root (c), Ben Stokes, Ollie Pope, Sam Billings (wk), Chris Woakes, Ollie Robinson, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad

Last edited:

While some attention has been paid to Starc's inclusion in Sydney, not much was paid to Lyon who again franked his crap record at the SCG.

After Melbourne I would have been happy to give Swepson a go in Sydney and think it a pity he is not getting a go in Hobart.

Yes England are a C+ team (at best) but international experience could have been afforded Swepson ahead of the subi-con tour.

While some attention has been paid to Starc's inclusion in Sydney, not much was paid to Lyon who again franked his crap record at the SCG.

After Melbourne I would have been happy to give Swepson a go in Sydney and think it a pity he is not getting a go in Hobart.

Yes England are a C+ team (at best) but international experience could have been afforded Swepson ahead of the subi-con tour.

Agree with this.
As you'd almost certainly think we'll play two spinners in Pakistan.

Morning Richie, morning all! Australia with just the one change it appears with Head replacing Harris, while the Poms look to have more changes than Novak's COVID exemption stories..! Half their team are under injury clouds with some bloke nick-named Rupert set to keep wickets as England's 700th debutant - it's all happening here in Hobart and ball is yet to be bowled..!

Lyon did well in Sydney & made important break throughs in 4th innings. Starc & Lyon pretty much carried Australia to series win after 3 games. Some ppl will never give them credit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to this Hobart test. On Jimmy Anderson . Maybe his smoother bowling action kept him in the game longer imo .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Bowling at 135km rather than 145km probably has something to do with it as well. Jimmy has never relied on going 100% all out for speed more reliant on his ability to get the the ball to do things. Has to be easier on the body.

I understand that baggy greens shouldn't just be handed out willy nilly, but we have won the series, and if we are serious about blooding some new talent, it would be nice to have more than 4 players under 30 in the team.

Surely you could "rest" one of Warner, Lyon, Starc, Boland, Smith. Apologies to Boland, but he's just the wrong age. Warner and Smith probably less so given our shaky batting line up, but if not now, then when?

I have a second motivation for wanting good weather throughout the test.

We have decided to move out of Sydney by the end of this year, my job will likely let me work entirely remotely. Hobart is high on my list, but the missus isn't convinced by the weather (although otherwise she is a fan). So I want plenty of beautiful, sunny aerial shots of the Derwent during the test to show her.

I understand that baggy greens shouldn't just be handed out willy nilly, but we have won the series, and if we are serious about blooding some new talent, it would be nice to have more than 4 players under 30 in the team.

Surely you could "rest" one of Warner, Lyon, Starc, Boland, Smith. Apologies to Boland, but he's just the wrong age. Warner and Smith probably less so given our shaky batting line up, but if not now, then when?

* Agree. England has turned out a WI standard batting line up. Anderson aside, they do not have Test quality bowlers.

* We have not won a series overseas for yonks and the many times tried and failed like Warner should have been dispensed with by now. We need to be trialling other players.

* Other than Sth Australia that could not beat an egg, I am confident any other State side would beat England (WA would have to drop M Marsh).

I have a second motivation for wanting good weather throughout the test.

We have decided to move out of Sydney by the end of this year, my job will likely let me work entirely remotely. Hobart is high on my list, but the missus isn't convinced by the weather (although otherwise she is a fan). So I want plenty of beautiful, sunny aerial shots of the Derwent during the test to show her.

How can Hobart be high on your list? no AFL, cold as *. Surely not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back