The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Carey makes a hard fought 24 and now he's the new punching bag now that Harris is gone,fmd.

Get vaccinated!
Honest question, do you think Carey has had a good series?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It looks like Carey's initial strong showing at the GABBA gave us the false illusion of belief in his competence.

His technical flaws have been dissected already (one-footed, seems to grope at the ball while on his knees rather than actually diving properly for it at times) but I also think that he lacks confidence in his own judgment and so doesn't know when to go for the ball or leave it to first slip.

Additionally, he's often looked scratchy and unconvincing. He seems to (again) grope at deliveries with hard hands that he could be leaving. That will likely result in an edge either way and will make him easy pickings for a competent off-spinner.

He's slightly different from Wade in that his actual reflexes aren't too bad, so he hasn't kept as badly to Lyon as Wade did. But keeping to spin in AUS is very different from keeping to it in the subcontinent.

IMO we have three options: 1) keep Carey and pray, 2) give Wade the gloves back and pray, because in 2017 his keeping was IMO actually competent or 3) do a Healy and blood Inglis in the subcontinent. While his form with the bat apparently hasn't been great, neither has Carey's, and he is relatively young, has an OK FC batting average and is apparently the best keeper out of Carey/Inglis/Pierson. They won't select Wade again, I wouldn't think, and from what I've heard Inglis is a better keeper than Pierson, and like Wade there are doubts as to whether Pierson's keeping will be Test standard, which isn't a great sign.

EDIT: Plus Pierson is almost 30 anyway, so he's not exactly a developmental prospect, either. So Inglis it should be IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back