The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we is my team. The West Indies.

Australia have been good this series. And generally are at home. They have not won an away series for what, 5?? Years.

They too, overall, have been shithouse, but are less shithouse
Ah fair enough.

Australia have been shithouse sure but I’d say overall we’re at the beginning of a very promising period IMO

Yeah, nah. Khawaja shouldn’t open. Unfair on him

To all the knockers of Marcus Harris and Lucas Parker you are the top of the list on this forum you should really have a good serious re think.Right now he should be playing for Australia and with Khawaji and Warners failures he is now heading to Pakistan perhaps and hopefully will do well.

Last edited:

Just have six.

The original plan this summer was for a test in Hobart against Afghanistan remember.

Two lots of three for most visitors. Best of six for Ashes and India?
That was only because the Afghanistan test was delayed from last summer due to Covid. It should be 6 when 2 teams tour. 2 tests series are terrible

Ah fair enough.

Australia have been shithouse sure but I’d say overall we’re at the beginning of a very promising period IMO
Love your optimism but I think we are a fair way off. Bowling stocks are fine. Greeny looks great.
But.
We need not only to find two openers but blood them. Smith will rapidly decline due to his age and and reliance on eye and not technique. Keeper is still an issue. Hope Im wrong but I think it will take a fair bit of time.

You can shove Day/Night Test Cricket up your clacker. Batsmen don’t stand a chance.
It’s an interesting one, do we look at Day/nighters being 4 day matches? Does anyone know if any have gone 5 days? I love cricket when Batters have to fight for runs but playing 5 day tests in these conditions completely takes the draw out of the equation, at least in a 4 day game we’d probably want to be bowling tomorrow whereas now there’s absolutely no time pressure.

This is a brilliant pitch for a day test that offers a bit for the bowler but a bit for the batter when they get in, I’d love all day pitches to be like that. But for a day nighter it’s probably a bit over the top, probably need to roll out roads for 5 day day nighters as the night session is still gonna have a lot for the bowler so at least give something for the batter during the day.

This test between two evenly placed sides and the winner of the toss wins, if we bowled first England would have been all out for 120 tops and then would have had to bat again tonight and would probably be 5 down, us batting first has evened the test match up a huge amount and we’re still wayyyy in front

It’s an interesting one, do we look at Day/nighters being 4 day matches? Does anyone know if any have gone 5 days? I love cricket when Batters have to fight for runs but playing 5 day tests in these conditions completely takes the draw out of the equation, at least in a 4 day game we’d probably want to be bowling tomorrow whereas now there’s absolutely no time pressure.

This is a brilliant pitch for a day test that offers a bit for the bowler but a bit for the batter when they get in, I’d love all day pitches to be like that. But for a day nighter it’s probably a bit over the top, probably need to roll out roads for 5 day day nighters as the night session is still gonna have a lot for the bowler so at least give something for the batter during the day.

This test between two evenly placed sides and the winner of the toss wins, if we bowled first England would have been all out for 120 tops and then would have had to bat again tonight and would probably be 5 down, us batting first has evened the test match up a huge amount and we’re still wayyyy in front

Of the 9 completed pink ball tests in this country 3 have gone into day 5, 3 have been done inside 3 days and the remaining 3 were decided during day 4.

He toughed it out when no one from either team could.

These conditions are so terrible a bloke made a century a week after having Covid…
I’m not sure having zero symptoms from Covid means anything, these conditions are obviously much much tougher than we faced at the G and if you don’t admit that you can’t be being serious.

Harris knock at the G was great but conditions aren’t even comparable. You said no one else could make runs but we only batted once so that’s not really fair..

Of the 9 completed pink ball tests in this country 3 have gone into day, 3 have been done inside 3 days and the remaining 3 were decided during day 4.
Thanks, still think 4 days might be the go if we roll out pitches like this, make teams have a few things to think about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Day 2 crowd of 8711, pretty disappointing when they sold around 14000 to each of the first three days,Covid has clearly had a big impact on crowd numbers.

Love your optimism but I think we are a fair way off. Bowling stocks are fine. Greeny looks great.
But.
We need not only to find two openers but blood them. Smith will rapidly decline due to his age and and reliance on eye and not technique. Keeper is still an issue. Hope Im wrong but I think it will take a fair bit of time.
I think people are harsh on Warner, he’s not the player he once was and the decline is evident but I think he’s still more than capable of being a test standard opener for a couple of years, so long as we can find him a good partner.

Marny is a gun, no he won’t average 60 for his whole career but absolutely no dramas with 3 for the foreseeable future, it would help if he was a little more protected from the openers. People always say this about Smith but let’s give him some benefit of the doubt, it’s nothing more than an assumption at this stage to say he’s going to decline quickly, in reality he’s in his prime as a batsmen right now.

5 & 6 are set for the long term with Green & Head, I think Green will make an all time great #5 in a couple of years. He has the temperament for it. And as you’ve said our bowling stocks are no issue, they’re already world class and should remain that way for some time yet.

We absolutely need to sort out our other opener, Puc is the man if he can stay fit. And keeper too is an issue but not a debilitating one. Also can’t underestimate how big an advantage it is having the longest tail in world cricket.

We’re not perfect but I don’t think we’re all that far away from being the best team in world cricket right now.

How do we fit Tassie in the schedule? They absolutely deserve more test cricket than they’ve seen recently. At least every second summer. I think a longer, more spread out 6 test summer is key. Either 3 & 3 vs two teams (we should never play a 2 test series it’s dumb) or 6 vs the big teams, let’s be honest at least 1 or 2 tests will be rained out or end with no result. Tests run from Nov - end of Jan, Shield cricket should run up until the new year, with a shorter big bash played every night in January. 5 ODI series in Feb.

Test cricket is still king in this country and it’s not just for the die hares, the general cricket population & kids still love it from my experience. We need to be enhancing it not taking away from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back