The Ashes. Fifth Test Australia v England @ Blundstone Arena, Hobart, 14-18 January 2022

hugecannon

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide
A few times he's looked like he could take attacks apart with the bat. In that Oval test he looked like he could take a wicket every ball and I thought he was about to realise his all-round potential. Then he comes back, punches a wall, breaks his hand and doesn't get another look. There's still time for him but not much.
I wonder with the benefit of hindsight if he’d told to focus more on his bowling and become more of a Chris Cairns type bowling all rounder. His batting probably lent itself more to being at 7 or even 8 after the wicket keeper. He never really bowled many overs even when he was fit was it a lack of skill with the ball or a lack of faith from the captain?

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know what McGrath was "lamenting" --- I saw plenty of aggro during the Series, starting with the first ball and the intense competitiveness shown thereafter. Or was he referring to the 4th Test?
What would be the point of aggro? Not necessary if the opposition is already rolling over?

Voice of the G

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
A few times he's looked like he could take attacks apart with the bat. In that Oval test he looked like he could take a wicket every ball and I thought he was about to realise his all-round potential. Then he comes back, punches a wall, breaks his hand and doesn't get another look. There's still time for him but not much.

I also would not write off M.Marsh yet but as you said not much time left.His batting could be a bonus but not sure his bowling would be and Green is well in front of him at the moment and Green is our future.

GoDees2021

Senior List
Nov 26, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
I loved several things about Steve Waugh:
--- his understated (in terms of non-extrovert) grit and determination
--- the way he changed the face of Test cricket by emphasising fast runs in the first dig, to give bowlers more time to get 20 wickets
--- his dislike of dead rubbers losses.
However, "mental disintegration" and sustained pressure on the Opposition turned subsequently into Win-at-all-costs and new lows in competitiveness, ugly personal sledging, poor winning behaviours and the Sandpaper scandal, as others took things too far. In my mind, reminiscent of the Ugly Australian teams led by Chappelli, but even worse.

I don't know what McGrath was "lamenting" --- I saw plenty of aggro during the Series, starting with the first ball and the intense competitiveness shown thereafter. Or was he referring to the 4th Test?

There was * all aggression, was a very friendly and kid friendly series. Found it pretty boring at times myself.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
I liked the focus was just on the cricket for once not the behavior of our guys nothing worse than smashing the poms just for the next 6 months of the media focus to be more about how nasty and mean guys were rather than the actual results.

Back